MLB Chatter Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Speaking of which, I can't remember the last time they did an old timers game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Speaking of which, I can't remember the last time they did an old timers game.
I think teams do it indivually now.

I know the Braves have some type of an annual legends/alumni weekend where the old guys play a game over that weekend.

I seem to remember the Yankees having something similar. But I don't think there is an old timers "All-Star game" that is a mixture of players from every team.

Genghis Khan

But I don't think there is an old timers "All-Star game" that is a mixture of players from every team.

This is probably more what I'm talking about. I feel like they used to do it at the all star game? Unless I'm crazy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This is probably more what I'm talking about. I feel like they used to do it at the all star game? Unless I'm crazy.
They had a couple going.

Old-Timers Baseball Classic (1982–1990)[edit]
The Cracker Jack Old-Timers Baseball Classic was founded by former Braves executive Dick Cecil,[40] and took place every July from 1982 to 1990. RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. hosted the events from 1982 to 1987, and Pilot Field in Buffalo hosted the events from 1988 to 1990.[41] Cracker Jack dropped their sponsorship following the 1985 event, after which it became the National Old-Timers Baseball Classic. All of the events were broadcast nationally on ESPN.
The inaugural game, played on the evening of July 19, 1982, was particularly memorable; then-75-year-old Luke Appling connected off Warren Spahn for a home run over the fence in left field, which was at a distance of 275 feet (84 m).[42] Other participants included Hank Aaron, Lou Brock, Bert Campaneris, Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Ralph Kiner, Johnny Mize, Stan Musial, Don Newcombe, Enos Slaughter, and Early Wynn.[43] The game was won by the American League, 7–2.[44]
The second game, held on July 18, 1983, was won by the National League, 5–3, and included Richie Ashburn, Al Kaline, Bill Mazeroski, Tim McCarver, Brooks Robinson, Mickey Vernon, and Billy Williams.[45]
In 1984, the third game was held on July 2, with the National League winning 9–4, powered by home runs from Hank Aaron, Johnny Bench, Tom Haller, and Billy Williams.[46]
The fourth game was played on July 1, 1985, as the National League again had four home runs—by Hank Aaron, Bill Mazeroski, Joe Torre, and Tommy Davis—en route to a 7–3 win.[47]
Old-Timers Series / Heroes of Baseball Series (1986–1995)[edit]
In February 1986, Commissioner of Baseball Peter Ueberroth announced a series of old-timers games called Equitable Old-Timers Series, to be played at each of the then-26 MLB ballparks and sponsored by Equitable Life Assurance company.[48] These games were unaffiliated with the Old-Timers Baseball Classic games, which were not sanctioned by Major League Baseball.
The Equitable series started at Fenway Park in Boston on May 17, 1986,[49] and concluded at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati on September 20.[50][51] Equitable donated $10,000 per game to a fund for former major leaguers in need.[49] A traveling group of Major League All-Stars served as the visiting team and played an alumni team at each home ballpark location.[49] The series was held again in 1987, starting in St. Louis on May 17 and ending in Detroit on August 30.[52] In 1988, the series started in Boston on May 14 and ended in Detroit on September 18.[53] In 1989, the series again started in Boston, on May 6, and ended in Montreal on September 17.[54] The 1990 series started in Houston on April 9 and again ended in Montreal, on August 26.[55]
In February 1991, it was announced that the Equitable Old-Timers Series would have a new name and new sponsor; the Heroes of Baseball Series would be sponsored by the Upper Deck Company, with a 24-game series starting on April 14 in Minnesota and ending on September 1 in Montreal.[56] Upper Deck donated $10,000 per game to the Baseball Assistance Team.[56] In 1992, the series was played at each of the then-26 MLB ballparks plus Mile High Stadium, the first home of the expansion Colorado Rockies when they joined MLB the following season.[57] The series was also played during the 1993 season,[36] and at some ballparks during the 1994 season.[58] The final game appears to have been played in June 1995 at Dodger Stadium.[59]
Other old-timers' games

Genghis Khan

They had a couple going.

Old-Timers Baseball Classic (1982–1990)[edit]
The Cracker Jack Old-Timers Baseball Classic was founded by former Braves executive Dick Cecil,[40] and took place every July from 1982 to 1990. RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. hosted the events from 1982 to 1987, and Pilot Field in Buffalo hosted the events from 1988 to 1990.[41] Cracker Jack dropped their sponsorship following the 1985 event, after which it became the National Old-Timers Baseball Classic. All of the events were broadcast nationally on ESPN.
The inaugural game, played on the evening of July 19, 1982, was particularly memorable; then-75-year-old Luke Appling connected off Warren Spahn for a home run over the fence in left field, which was at a distance of 275 feet (84 m).[42] Other participants included Hank Aaron, Lou Brock, Bert Campaneris, Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Ralph Kiner, Johnny Mize, Stan Musial, Don Newcombe, Enos Slaughter, and Early Wynn.[43] The game was won by the American League, 7–2.[44]
The second game, held on July 18, 1983, was won by the National League, 5–3, and included Richie Ashburn, Al Kaline, Bill Mazeroski, Tim McCarver, Brooks Robinson, Mickey Vernon, and Billy Williams.[45]
In 1984, the third game was held on July 2, with the National League winning 9–4, powered by home runs from Hank Aaron, Johnny Bench, Tom Haller, and Billy Williams.[46]
The fourth game was played on July 1, 1985, as the National League again had four home runs—by Hank Aaron, Bill Mazeroski, Joe Torre, and Tommy Davis—en route to a 7–3 win.[47]
Old-Timers Series / Heroes of Baseball Series (1986–1995)[edit]
In February 1986, Commissioner of Baseball Peter Ueberroth announced a series of old-timers games called Equitable Old-Timers Series, to be played at each of the then-26 MLB ballparks and sponsored by Equitable Life Assurance company.[48] These games were unaffiliated with the Old-Timers Baseball Classic games, which were not sanctioned by Major League Baseball.
The Equitable series started at Fenway Park in Boston on May 17, 1986,[49] and concluded at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati on September 20.[50][51] Equitable donated $10,000 per game to a fund for former major leaguers in need.[49] A traveling group of Major League All-Stars served as the visiting team and played an alumni team at each home ballpark location.[49] The series was held again in 1987, starting in St. Louis on May 17 and ending in Detroit on August 30.[52] In 1988, the series started in Boston on May 14 and ended in Detroit on September 18.[53] In 1989, the series again started in Boston, on May 6, and ended in Montreal on September 17.[54] The 1990 series started in Houston on April 9 and again ended in Montreal, on August 26.[55]
In February 1991, it was announced that the Equitable Old-Timers Series would have a new name and new sponsor; the Heroes of Baseball Series would be sponsored by the Upper Deck Company, with a 24-game series starting on April 14 in Minnesota and ending on September 1 in Montreal.[56] Upper Deck donated $10,000 per game to the Baseball Assistance Team.[56] In 1992, the series was played at each of the then-26 MLB ballparks plus Mile High Stadium, the first home of the expansion Colorado Rockies when they joined MLB the following season.[57] The series was also played during the 1993 season,[36] and at some ballparks during the 1994 season.[58] The final game appears to have been played in June 1995 at Dodger Stadium.[59]
Other old-timers' games

Yep. This is exactly what I was remembering.

Genghis Khan

The inaugural game, played on the evening of July 19, 1982, was particularly memorable; then-75-year-old Luke Appling connected off Warren Spahn for a home run over the fence in left field, which was at a distance of 275 feet (84 m).

This is insane. Appling played in the 1930s and 40s. To see him play in the 1980s is incredible, let alone to be able to watch a guy like that hit a home run. Not to mention guys like Spahn, Gibson, Aaron and whomever else.

Somewhere along the way baseball stopped idolizing the stars of its past and it's a shame.

I wonder though if they stopped because we'd otherwise be watching the steroid era guys right now. :lol Imagine an old timers game with Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Palmeiro, etc.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Caray made Summerall sound sober.
Caray was a Cub fan and a Bud man. And was damn proud of it.

Used to crack me up when he'd pick out a fan in the bleachers and just go rambling on about them. Action on the field be damned.

"Now there's a lady who enjoys her time in the sun. See that? The hat, the sunglas... Line drive over short for Ryno. He's hit in 12 straight games now. Anyway... this gal here. She sure knows how to enjoy the day. An ice cold Budweiser beer, and a hot day in Wrigley. It just doesn't get any better than that, Steve."

Genghis Khan

Used to crack me up when he'd pick out a fan in the bleachers and just go rambling on about them. Action on the field be damned.

"Now there's a lady who enjoys her time in the sun. See that? The hat, the sunglas... Line drive over short for Ryno. He's hit in 12 straight games now. Anyway... this gal here. She sure knows how to enjoy the day. An ice cold Budweiser beer, and a hot day in Wrigley. It just doesn't get any better than that, Steve."

That's one of the things missing from most modern announcers. Character.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

As a kid there was nothing better than watching Steve Stone and Harry Caray doing Cubs games on WGN and listening to Jack Buck doing Cardinals games on the KMOX radio network.

Top Bottom