MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yup.

Not enough people point to him not selling out for that catch.

That absolutely could have been the final out but he was afraid to hit the wall and well, you know how it went from there.

Sucks.
I'll never forgive him for that.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I was an adult. :sad
Me too.

Pedro being left out for far too long in the 2003 ALCS.

At least there was some sweet revenge in 2004 with the 0-3 comeback, but still......that 2003 ALCS game 7 was tough to take.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Plus, Endy Chavez should've been out there but Wash said he wanted Nellie out there when they won. :sad

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Off the field: Munson's death.
On the field: Brett's mammoth 3-run homer off Gossage in 1980.

Cotton

Staff member

I absolutely hate the new pitch clock bullshit.

Cotton

Staff member
I like the pitch clock; don't like the "runner on 2nd in extras" rule
I don't at all. You not only put pressure on the pitcher, but also the batter. To cut down, what, 15 mins of game play?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I don't at all. You not only put pressure on the pitcher, but also the batter. To cut down, what, 15 mins of game play?
Lack of balls in play and pace of play are big problems in baseball. At 55, I'm used to it, but younger generations with short attention spans due to technology are not.

Cotton

Staff member
Lack of balls in play and pace of play are big problems in baseball. At 55, I'm used to it, but younger generations with short attention spans due to technology are not.
I don't see them as huge problems. And, that generation can go watch pickleball for all I care.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Unfortunately this is true.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The average game took 3:04 to complete last year. If you're a traditionalist, then you should support efforts to get the game back to where it was in the 70s and 80s. Fans don't want marathon sessions when they've got work or school the next day.

Cotton

Staff member

I absolutely hate this crap. Everything about it feels rushed.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Why should I care about that?
Owners can already count on the old timers' support. They can't count on teenagers who prefer faster-paced games like football or basketball. This is all about growing the game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I like the new rule that restricts defensive shifts. I've changed my stance on defensive shifts over time.

My current stance is that it'll be good for the game and promote more movement; which is basically the intended purpose of the new pitch/batter clock. MLB is trying to minimize all the unnecessary dead time in the game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Owners can already count on the old timers' support. They can't count on teenagers who prefer faster-paced games like football or basketball. This is all about growing the game.
This is the exact answer regarding why they're tweaking rules. MLB desperately needs to attract a younger audience to their game. IIRC, they're up there just behind golf in terms of average fan age.

They're looking to generate more movement and action in order to make their sport more appealing to that audience who consumes sports in bite-sized elements on media apps like TikTok and Instagram.

Last edited:
Top Bottom