MLB Chatter Thread

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I like the new rule that restrict defensive shifts. I've changed my stance on defensive shifts over time.

My current stance is that it'll be good for the game and promote more movement; which is basically the intended purpose of the new pitch/batter clock. MLB is trying to minimize all the unnecessary dead time in the game.

The dead time is the beauty of the game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The dead time is the beauty of the game.
Maybe for the older crowd.

Another issue that they have to get a handle on is making their games more accessible to the fans. Their partnership with Bally Sports has been a complete failure. From what I read not many cable companies offer Bally Sports as part of their package. I know for a fact that it's not available via any of the major streaming services like Hulu TV, YouTube TV, or Apple TV. So you basically have to sign up for expensive ass services with DirecTV or Comcast just to watch your local games. That or subscribe to the Bally Sports app at a rate of $20 per month.

But who wants to add a $20 per month bill on top of all their other streaming and cable services.....just to watch your local games????

And you can forget about signing up for MLB.TV. Their blackout rules are ridiculous. I'm a Braves fan who lives over 150 miles from the stadium and I can't watch their games because I live in a region that's covered by Bally Sports South. I've read where fans living in the NC-VA area have 3 or 4 teams that are blacked out for them. That's crazy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Why should I care about that?
You should if you love the game. It will only go to the background if you phase the younger generation out.

Genghis Khan

Another issue that they have to get a handle on is making their games more accessible to the fans. Their partnership with Bally Sports has been a complete failure. From what I read not many cable companies offer Bally Sports as part of their package. I know for a fact that it's not available via any of the major streaming services like Hulu TV, YouTube TV, or Apple TV. So you basically have to sign up for expensive ass services with DirecTV or Comcast just to watch your local games. That or subscribe to the Bally Sports app at a rate of $20 per month.

But who wants to add a $20 per month bill on top of all their other streaming and cable services.....just to watch your local games????

And you can forget about signing up for MLB.TV. Their blackout rules are ridiculous. I'm a Braves fan who lives over 150 miles from the stadium and I can't watch their games because I live in a region that's covered by Bally Sports South. I've read where fans living in the NC-VA area have 3 or 4 teams that are blacked out for them. That's crazy.

I agree with all that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm all for eliminating the shift. Good move.

But the ghost runner and pitch clock are idiotic. Same with the auto intentional walk. Do these owners really think some millennial is going to say "Baseball was stupid and boring before when games were 3 and a half hours, but now that they're 3:15 I'm so in!"

Stupid. That little time saved will probably be taken up by more commercials anyway.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
This way, they'll still be 3 1/2 hours, but they can fit in 15 min more for paid commercials.

~Eddie Murphy tapping temple gif~
youregoddamnedright.gif

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is the exact answer regarding why they're tweaking rules. MLB desperately needs to attract a younger audience to their game. IIRC, they're up there just behind golf in terms of average fan age.

They're looking to generate more movement and action in order to make their sport more appealing to that audience who consumes sports in bite-sized elements on media apps like TikTok and Instagram.
Yeah, but at the same time they are going to lose some longtime fans like me who hate that shit.

Genghis Khan

What NFL game is 2 1/2 hours? Why do people think this is a good thing at the expense of artificially altering the game?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What NFL game is 2 1/2 hours? Why do people think this is a good thing at the expense of artificially altering the game?
You know what I can't "understate"? How much this changes things for me watching these damn games.

Top Bottom