MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

It would have to be Wheeler or Syndergaard. I am not fond of losing either, but I know that the bats in the system right now are well behind the arms. Outside of Brandon Nimmo and D'Arnaud we do not really have any high end positional players.
What you need is an elite arm to go with Harvey until the bats catch up. Ill give you Price for a package featuring Wheeler and D'Arnaud.

Carp

DCC 4Life
No. Price is slowing down. Better trade him soon.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cubs have been playing fairly well recently and I'm amazed that part of it is because Kevin Gregg has come in and locked down the 9th. They weren't scoring enough runs in April but when they did they'd have a bullpen mess and lose. They signed Gregg off the street and he wasn't very good the last time he was with the Cubs a few years ago. All the fantasy baseball talking heads say that he'll fall apart any day and his track record would indicate that he will. I've seen a few of his appearances though and he looks pretty damn good. The closer role is really weird. I doubt Gregg can keep it up all year but Rodney was a pretty sketchy closer and put it all together and had a great season in 2012 so you never know.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nolan reassured us that he's not leaving. I do think he will leave soon. Maybe this winter but at least he is there through the season. Now ifwe can somehow learn how to win in Oakland.

D

Deuce

Matt Moore continues to show he's taking his game to another level. A weird play made a routine ground ball that probably turns an inning ending double play hits the bag and pops into the outfield for a double. Then Papi hits a 3 run shot. A crappy 1st inning last year would have resulted in him getting a little wild and never settling down, probably only going about 4 innings. Tonight, he's been lights out since the 1st and improves to 7-0.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Colon is a fat fucker.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
After the Red Sox hot start (2-9 in last 11) the cream is rising to the top in the AL East. And I'm not just talking about the Yanks. The O's and Rays, too. I'm actually surprised how well the Yanks have played so far.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Phillies take chance on Carlos Zambrano

Matt Gelb, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 12:05 PM

The never-ending quest for starting pitching depth has taken the Phillies to Carlos Zambrano, the controversial righthander long known for his histrionics. Zambrano signed a minor-league deal Wednesday.

The Phillies felt adding depth was a necessity with Roy Halladay undergoing shoulder surgery Wednesday and no veteran rotation presence at triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Zambrano will report to extended spring training in Clearwater, Fla. The Phillies must promote him to the majors before July 1, or he can ask for his release.

"We are just looking to add some depth, starting pitching depth," assistant general manager Scott Proefrock said. "Right now he will go to extended spring training and throw bullpens and progress from there. No promises were made. It is just an opportunity to add to the starting pitching."

The 31-year-old pitcher spent time with Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic this spring but did not land a major-league job until now.

Premature reports of Zambrano's signing surfaced last week. He had agreed to terms with the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League but never signed that deal. Now he is property of the Phillies.

Jonathan Pettibone has sufficed as fifth starter. John Lannan remains sidelined by a knee injury and his return should come sometime in June. Beyond that, Tyler Cloyd impressed in his one start and prospect Adam Morgan has stumbled after a fast start at triple A.

Zambrano has a career 3.66 ERA in 12 seasons. He spent 2012 with Miami and posted a 4.49 ERA in 35 games (20 starts).

His first 11 seasons were with Chicago, and he was well known for his testy temperament. He once called his teammates "triple-A players." He fought teammates and water coolers in the dugout. That led to anger-management sessions mandated by the Cubs.

His Cubs career ended in 2011 when he was ejected from an August game in Atlanta and cleaned out his locker at Turner Field before the game finished. Chicago placed him on the restricted list and he never threw a pitch for them again.

The Phillies must hope a lack of job humbled Zambrano. For now, they will take a chance at a pitcher with a long track record.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/Phillies_take_chance_on_Carlos_Zambrano.html#wae9kcKtd4CvgfzG.99

:unsure

Rev

Staff member
Good luck with that.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah I am hoping he just fizzles out in the minors.

The Phillies are stupid and desperate. I'd rather they just ride things out with younger pitchers. They aren't going anywhere anyway.

Rev

Staff member
If the Rangers go ahead and win today they will match last years win total for their away games with Oakland in the first series.

Championship!

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Forget everything I said about Phil Hughes a couple weeks ago. Geesh.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If the Rangers go ahead and win today they will match last years win total for their away games with Oakland in the first series.

Championship!
Looks like it's time to :towel.

Top Bottom