Mike Nolan Fired

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And you would indeed see a meltdown. Not just from me either - the team eventually.
Well Wade would only be a one year hire as that seems to be what he lasts these days. After that like you said it gets stale.

Still worth it.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Surprisingly quick in Jerry terms. Normally he'd wait three weeks until all the chairs had been filled. I hope they take a good look around outside and don't just promote Edwards.
Jerry and Stephen doing their homework and importing a young, up-and-coming defensive whiz instead of promoting someone they know? Good luck with that.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
With the injuries it was going to be a wasted year regardless.
I'm strictly talking about the defensive side of the ball. I'd be a lot more optimistic about our chances going into 2021 if we were in year 2 of scheme being coached by a competent DC. Instead we'll be starting over with huge questions all across the defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Count me out on Patricia as well.

Belichick assistants are usually fool's gold once they're outside of his umbrella. Even as coordinators.
It is especially stupid to think that Patricia was the guy behind the Patriots' defenses. That's Belichick's specialty.

Their defenses since he left have been superior.

Plus, Patricia is one of those pencil behind the ear guys. I fuckin' hate that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That is Fat Mike's weakness, very much like Garrett.

He could never get the DC choice right. Capers was okay, but his other choices sucked.

Had he had good DCs his entire time in GB, he might have more than one SB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

He could never get the DC choice right. Capers was okay, but his other choices sucked.

That's the thing. This hire is really important. They have to nail it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

And they had a tough time drafting defensive talent too. Matthews was a home run, but they didn’t have many other playmakers they actually drafted.

Of course that changed with the very next draft after dumping MM

EDIT: corrected ‘hey’ to ‘they’

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
And hey had a tough time drafting defensive talent too. Matthews was a home run, but they didn’t have many other playmakers they actually drafted.

Of course that changed with the very next draft after dumping MM
I always heard MM didn't have much input in the draft the whole time he was there...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dan Quinn is interesting because he has created an elite defense in the past. The problem is I don't know if I want to try and recreate the great Seattle defense success yet again.

The Falcons defense was putrid.
Hes had some decent defenses there but not recently.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hes had some decent defenses there but not recently.
I'm not sure if his defense has just become stale in the NFL or if he just became stale in Atlanta. Better D-coordinator choice than Nolan but that's not high praise.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not sure if his defense has just become stale in the NFL or if he just became stale in Atlanta. Better D-coordinator choice than Nolan but that's not high praise.
They struggled to find talent, pure and simple. The high picks they spent on defense (Beasley, McKinley, Keanu Neal, Jalen Collins, Isaiah Oliver) either didn't meet expectations or were flat out busts.

I'd be fine with Quinn but I just hope he values having a legit run-stuffing DT and doesn't refuse to play a CB unless they're 6-1, 200.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The 49ers run a pure Seattle cover-3 system so I think he just got stale in Atlanta.

In the same vein as Quinn, Gus Bradley would be fine too.

Last edited:

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
They struggled to find talent, pure and simple. The high picks they spent on defense (Beasley, McKinley, Keanu Neal, Jalen Collins, Isaiah Oliver) either didn't meet expectations or were flat out busts.

I'd be fine with Quinn but I just hope he values having a legit run-stuffing DT and doesn't refuse to play a CB unless they're 6-1, 200.
It did seem like Atlanta flipped a switch defensively the moment Quinn was fired, however. No numbers off the top of my head, but glancing at the box scores, they were at least pretty competitive if I recall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It did seem like Atlanta flipped a switch defensively the moment Quinn was fired, however. No numbers off the top of my head, but glancing at the box scores, they were at least pretty competitive if I recall.
When Quinn was still coach it looked just as bad as our defense. This season anyway. But it could have been a lack of talent combined with a stale head coach.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The 49ers run a pure Seattle cover-3 system so I think he just got stale in Atlanta.

In the same vein as Quinn, Gus Bradley would be fine too.
I'd much rather have Bradley. Is he going to shake loose?

Top Bottom