Machota: Cowboys embarrassed at home - Zeke Elliott hurting offense, 9 other takeaways

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
16 years? Wow. I thought the board was even more established than that. I joined in 2005 right around the draft.
The board was formed in April of 2004.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The worst thing about him is that he was (is?) literally incapable of admitting he was wrong on something. I mean, Dak is quite clearly a top 10 QB in the league, but he'll still bash him like he's Chad Hutchinson.

Or his way of feigning that he may have been wrong is to go so over the top in his criticism of a player in the face of a mountain of evidence to the contrary, to the point where people assume it's an act/sarcasm, but he's really just waiting for the opportunity to dig back in when the player has a bad game or whatever.

He definitely knows football but he has way too high of an opinion of himself, is blinded by pride/ego and definitely isn't the genius he thinks he is.
I think the Dak thing is a combination of his schtick - I don't think he actually believes he's Chad Hutchison - but partially refusing to back down from a potentially valid point, that Dak isn't as great as some think he is.

For example I think until this very season I myself would have said the evidence supports Wentz being better (oh, that's another angle to it - frustration that the Eagles leaped us for Wentz). This year Wentz is doing terrible so harder to argue.

But again, some on this board also have hills they are willing to die on just as unreasonably, so, it is what it is.

If you can sift through the schtick, again, he can be very insightful and humorous.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the Dak thing is a combination of his schtick - I don't think he actually believes he's Chad Hutchison - but partially refusing to back down from a potentially valid point, that Dak isn't as great as some think he is.

For example I think until this very season I myself would have said the evidence supports Wentz being better (oh, that's another angle to it - frustration that the Eagles leaped us for Wentz). This year Wentz is doing terrible so harder to argue.

But again, some on this board also have hills they are willing to die on just as unreasonably, so, it is what it is.

If you can sift through the schtick, again, he can be very insightful and humorous.
The shtick is duplicitous though, he can use it to write off certain opinions and deflect when he's wrong but also fall back on when things start going in a direction that supports a stance.

I don't spend much time at the Zone but for at least a year or two (three? four?) I'm fairly certain he legitimately wanted Dak gone and thought he was more or less a bottom 10-15 QB in the league. He doesn't move off that, he just uses shtick to deflect and allude back to when the timing is right.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The shtick is duplicitous though, he can use it to write off certain opinions and deflect when he's wrong but also fall back on when things start going in a direction that supports a stance.

I don't spend much time at the Zone but for at least a year or two (three? four?) I'm fairly certain he legitimately wanted Dak gone and thought he was more or less a bottom 10-15 QB in the league. He doesn't move off that, he just uses shtick to deflect and allude back to when the timing is right.
For a year or two Dak absolutely was a bottom 15 QB.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
37 now, but that’s a testament to how long we’ve all been here. I started back on the ESPN boards around 2002-03, I would have been like 19-20. Came over here in 2004, would have been like 21.
I can't remember when I came over the first time but I think it was in mid to late 2000s I think. I remember getting in an argument with you lasting like 4 days. For the life of me I can't remember what it was about. The value of cornerbacks maybe...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Kinda funny how after all these years, Smitty is still coming to the defense of sbk.
Just as funny how everyone else is still petrified of him.

Oh he was so mean! He hurt my feelings!

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I can't remember when I came over the first time but I think it was in mid to late 2000s I think. I remember getting in an argument with you lasting like 4 days. For the life of me I can't remember what it was about. The value of cornerbacks maybe...
Possibly. The secondary is the least important part of the defense. :art

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just as funny how everyone else is still petrified of him.

Oh he was so mean! He hurt my feelings!
Nobody is scared of him that I know of, he's just a huge insufferable asshole who has an exaggerated opinion of himself so nobody wants to engage with his bullshit.

And Dak was never not a top 15 QB, and even if he were in 2017 or whatever, that quickly changed in 2018 yet the guy will still pretend that he's a replacement level QB.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
And Dak was never not a top 15 QB, and even if he were in 2017 or whatever, that quickly changed in 2018 yet the guy will still pretend that he's a replacement level QB.
No, Dak was not a top 15 QB in 2017 or the first half of 2018.

So what I said was true... for a year or two (sometime in between that amount of time), Dak was a bottom 15 QB. His numbers reflected Quincy Carter and Colin Kaepernick way more closely than a top 10-15 QB.

Luckily for us he's improved and developed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, Dak was not a top 15 QB in 2017 or the first half of 2018.

So what I said was true... for a year or two (sometime in between that amount of time), Dak was a bottom 15 QB. His numbers reflected Quincy Carter and Colin Kaepernick way more closely than a top 10-15 QB.

Luckily for us he's improved and developed.
Oh boy I forgot you thought he was like Quincy Carter. Holy shit you must have gotten that from Sbk.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Oh boy I forgot you thought he was like Quincy Carter. Holy shit you must have gotten that from Sbk.
You must have forgotten how poor his passing numbers were. He struggled to move the ball in the air, on par with guys like Carter and Kaepernick. The numbers don't lie. For a good stretch of time, not just a couple games. Well over a season.

He had a real rough patch. I don't care about "but he won," because so did Kaepernick, who went to a Super Bowl. But the wheels eventually fell off because he couldn't consistently move the ball through the air. Dak had a good year and a half stretch where he was not a competent QB making plays in the air.

Luckily Dak is past it.

Top Bottom