LOL @ The Eagles

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I dunno, crazy talk I realize, but maybe one game isn't the best sample size.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Brown isn't better than Chase, and I like Brown a lot more than most here.

Smith will probably be better than Higgins.

Not sure about Watkins vs Boyd, maybe a wash.

But all of that barely matters because Burrow >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hurts.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Damn their fans are delusional.
This is a troll.

Boyd has two 1000 yard seasons and several more 700-800+ seasons, Watkins is a JAG.

I also don't think Smith is a great bet to be better than Higgins, maybe equal, and Chase is arguably the best WR in the league while Brown might not even be top 10.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a troll.

Boyd has two 1000 yard seasons and several more 700-800+ seasons, Watkins is a JAG.

I also don't think Smith is a great bet to be better than Higgins, maybe equal, and Chase is arguably the best WR in the league while Brown might not even be top 10.
I'd literally say everyone of those Bengals is better. Easily

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't need some obscure tweets to tell me the guy isn't a legit passer, it'd take a god damn miracle for him to turn into an elite passer based on what I saw last year.

The only example I can think of in the last 10 years where a guy went from an average or worse passer to an elite one is Josh Allen, and Hurts is way behind where Allen was his first few years.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't need some obscure tweets to tell me the guy isn't a legit passer, it'd take a god damn miracle for him to turn into an elite passer based on what I saw last year.

The only example I can think of in the last 10 years where a guy went from an average or worse passer to an elite one is Josh Allen, and Hurts is way behind where Allen was his first few years.
I am still struggling to see arm talent and especially intangibles. He just doesn’t strike me as a strong leader.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I am still struggling to see arm talent and especially intangibles. He just doesn’t strike me as a strong leader.
You mean Hurts? Supposedly leadership is his greatest quality. At least that's how he was built up in college. They always claimed his players loved him.

But it doesn't matter if you can't throw the ball well enough.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You mean Hurts? Supposedly leadership is his greatest quality. At least that's how he was built up in college. They always claimed his players loved him.

But it doesn't matter if you can't throw the ball well enough.
People claimed Baker Mayfield was a great leader and that his OK teammates loved him. Now? Not so much.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

He's the same guy he was at Oklahoma only now he is playing against faster defenders and can't make things happen with his legs like he did in college. He hasn't improved in a cerebral way.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's the same guy he was at Oklahoma only now he is playing against faster defenders and can't make things happen with his legs like he did in college. He hasn't improved in a cerebral way.
I think the NFL is going to need to figure out rookie QBs. They are so programmed they don’t know adversity.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the NFL is going to need to figure out rookie QBs. They are so programmed they don’t know adversity.
There's a reason that a lot of the guys who end up being top tier NFL guys as of late aren't coming from the elite programs (Mahomes/Allen) and are a bit off the radar from the cottage industry that is the overall HS football recruiting scene that feeds into these monolithic college programs. Even Herbert was a bit off the radar I think, not a highly touted recruit and I think he was kind of a legacy offer from Oregon because his dad or uncle or whoever played there.

And while Burrow was at Ohio St. and then LSU, he was kind of buried on the depth chart, transferred and was forced to work his way up to a starter from being an afterthought pretty much.

The game is just so much more advanced, and frankly homogenous, than it was even 10 years ago in terms of how it's taught/played at the HS level from the QB schools and camps that they get growing up, to the systems that they play in (RPO-heavy, simple reads) all the way through college. That stuff works in moderation at the NFL level but against the defensive talent in the NFL you need that extra bit of snap decision-making, the quick cognition to read through a play in under 3 seconds and the ability to immediately marry that up with the physical motion in the lower body to set yourself, then finally the accuracy/arm talent to get the ball there.

The cognition stuff is really kind of innate and difficult to develop if you don't have it inherently.

Basically I think what you're seeing a bunch of nowadays are these golden boy HS types who have been trained to be QB's from the age of 7, they're way closer to their ceiling by the time they get to college than guys 15-20 years ago because they've been schooled since elementary school on their mechanics, so they look really good in their homogenous RPO systems through HS and college but you don't have that same untapped potential/ability to continue to refine once they get to the NFL.

Lawrence is a really good example of this. I think he's going to be a good NFL QB but he was getting ridiculous "best since Manning/Luck" hype coming out when he was barely even going through 2 reads at Clemson, running a simplistic RPO offense and relying on RB's/WR's to turn 5-10 yard completions into 20-30 yard gains.

To your point about adversity, most of these hyped recruits who go from elite HS programs to Alabama/Clemson/whoever also enjoy ridiculous talent advantages from about 11th grade on (Lawrence lost about 3 games between the ages of 15-21), and that kind of bastardizes their development as well when you get used to dumping off a 3 yard pass to the RB who pops it for 40 once a game.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Hurts is still around. I think he could have a good season with a different scheme. He has a pretty good ground game to keep a first down in sight with almost any play. A small increase in pass completions and he will keep a team in the game. The scheme needs to keep a good running back productive due to the threat of a run by Hurts. He has a good grasp of the game and can read the defenses pretty well. He is not a throw away player. He can make things happen on the field. He needs a little more help from the other areas.

Top Bottom