John Madden Passes at 85

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
back when our left guard wasn't playing fullback cuz he sucked

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I can count on one hand how many celebrity deaths have legitimately bothered me in my lifetime.

This is one of them.

Like NoDak said, this guy was part of my childhood. The early to mid 90s are some of the best moments of my life.

My dad is my best friend and his brother was like a second father to me. And watching Cowboys football with them as an adolescent in those days are memories I'll cherish forever.

Football was way more than a sport for me back then and the Cowboys were a part of life. And the duo of John Madden and Pat Summerall were practically synonymous with Cowboys football during that time.

From 1991 to 1996, this legendary duo called almost every big game the Cowboys played in during that span being as CBS had the rights to the NFC while they were still there, and then FOX immediately signed them over once they bought the rights to the NFC themselves.

It felt like they were one of us to the point that we were always disappointed when they weren't calling our games.

What's more, John Madden was the face behind my favorite video game of my youth. No matter where I looked, John Madden was heavily involved in everything that had anything to do with my favorite pasttime in the world.

I remember recording the All Madden team specials he would do towards the end of the season. I'm sure I still have some on VHS now.

I was and still remain a huge fan of his and I've always missed hearing him call games.

Jerry Jones is right -- John Madden is the biggest icon the sport has ever produced and the game will never be the same without him.

RIP, you legend.

I hope Pat welcomed you with open arms in that golden booth in the sky.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Packers I would imagine. He loved talking about Favre.
Yeah, but those bitches didn't get 3 Super Bowl berths narrated by them like we did.

What's better, those cheesehead fucks didn't listen to these legends call 3 playoff victories over us, but we sure heard them call our 3 wins over them in the 93, 94, and 95 playoffs.

Fuck Green Bay!

Madden and Summerall are ours.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jesus. RIP.

I was at Madden's HOF induction (I went
reme because of Aikman). Madden's speech was for my money the best ever and still is.

Obviously the best announcer and a great coach as well.

In a lot of ways helped shape what football is today.

RIP.
I'm glad you said that because I absolutely loved that speech too.

I hated how it was only remembered and even mocked for him saying the busts talk to each other at night.

I loved that quote!

To me, it was a perfect example of why Madden was so likeable. You could just see how much he loved this game.

And that comment could only come from someone who genuinely loved the sport and was truly grateful to be joining the HOF.

It was one of the few genuinely humbling displays of gratitude in recent sports history and I loved it.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Sad that they called none of our Super Bowls. Somehow NBC wrangled all three.
Exactly.

The one SB they did during that span was 94 and that's when we loss to those cheating dickhead 49ers and their salary cap violations.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Does anyone know how Madden was contracted for the video game? I know it is crass to ask since he just passed, but it will piss me off immensely if EA had him on some deal where he (and now his family) got shafted out of the riches from what is literally an industry on its own.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Does anyone know how Madden was contracted for the video game? I know it is crass to ask since he just passed, but it will piss me off immensely if EA had him on some deal where he (and now his family) got shafted out of the riches from what is literally an industry on its own.
IMO, since EA has literally done nothing significant in years with it, I believe the game should retire altogether.

They probably Bob Ross’ed him, though. They more than likely own the name and will continue to milk every ounce they can out of his name and likeness.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I believe I read some time ago that a deal was worked out to keep his name but his involvement ceased long ago.

Do you know the story of how he originally got involved? Basically, he's the reason why football realism even made it into video games.

Funny story about the Madden video game. So there I am just a young 6th grader fresh off getting a Super Nintendo for Christmas in 1991.

My dad told me to pick a game I wanted and immediately I knew I wanted a football game.

At the time, there were only 2 available:

SNES Playaction Football and John Madden Football.

I didn't know which one to get so I looked at the back of the box features and what did I see for Madden?

Instant Replay.

My young 11 year old mind was blown away by the idea that instant replay could make it into a video game! And thus, the choice was made.

I chose wisely.

😎

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I remember the game before it went console. Had it on the Commodore 64.

Top Bottom