John Madden Passes at 85

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The man who made "boom" a household word. Doubtful we'll see the likes of him anytime soon.
Him and people like Dickie V are a dying breed. It's unfortunate. That's entertainment.

"Cooler than the other side of the pillow". - Stuart Scott

These are the greats.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I always think of him after the Harper slant vs the Niners and how pumped he got. Pat was a little casual and saying it wasn't over yet and Madden goes, "I don't know Pat, that was a big big play."

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

He tore the turducken open with his hands :towel :lol

“I’m there eating this turducken with my fingers,” Madden recalled. “(Saints owner) Tom Benson comes in and I have all this stuff on my fingers and I’m doing that thing in my head where I’m wondering, ‘Do I shake his hand?’ ”

(For the record: Madden did shake Benson’s hand, sticky fingers and all, and he said the two haven’t spoken since.)

:lol

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
At least he and Summerall can call games together again. I have so many fond memories of those two.

RIP to a true legend.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is definitely one of those “lose a piece of yourself,” deaths. Troy Aikman said in the documentary “All Madden,” that just aired over the weekend that John Madden and Pat Summerall narrated his career.

By the same token they narrated part of my childhood. I grew up listening to those guys call every big game for Dallas. I was like 10 years old.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
This is definitely one of those “lose a piece of yourself,” deaths. Troy Aikman said in the documentary “All Madden,” that just aired over the weekend that John Madden and Pat Summerall narrated his career.

By the same token they narrated part of my childhood. I grew up listening to those guys call every big game for Dallas. I was like 10 years old.
Exactly the words I was searching for.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The next one I’m dreading is Parcells by the way. My favorite coach ever. He’s now 80. He was only in his 60s when he was here, where is the time going?

data

Forbes #1
it truly felt like he was a Cowboys employee as a commentator. A lot of what I love about the Cowboys is stuff he perpetuated - the sweat stains, Nate hitching his pants, Nate jumping out of swimming pools, talking about Moose, talking about Erik Williams nastiness…Do other teams fans - 49ers or Packers - have the same bond with Madden as we do?

Last edited:

Sheik

DCC 4Life
it truly felt like he was a Cowboys employee as a commentator. A lot of what I love about the Cowboys is stuff he perpetuated - the sweat stains, Nate hitching his pants, Nate jumping out of swimming pools, talking about Moose, talking about Erik Williams nastiness…Do other teams fans - 49ers or Packers - have the same bond ti Madden as we do?
The Packers I would imagine. He loved talking about Favre.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A part of my childhood gone. He was truly one of the greatest. There will never be another to even approach his greatness in the booth. He will mostly be remembered as a commentator, but was also one of the very best on the sidelines.

God speed.

Top Bottom