Joel Osteen's church theft opens can of worms: Jaws drop as folks do the math

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cotton is almost as bad as me when he digs in. Freakin insufferable...
We are just too god damn much alike. Both bullheaded as hell.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Scum. Bag.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Passing a collection plate to a bunch of people that just lost everything is no big deal?
Passing a collection plate is standard practice during service. It's not like he was charging them for staying there. Were there no people there who had not been affected by the hurricane?

Maybe a bit tone deaf, but not scum baggy.

You are just looking to rail road the guy. Kinda like you do with garrett.

Cotton

Staff member
Passing a collection plate is standard practice during service. It's not like he was charging them for staying there. Were there no people there who had not been affected by the hurricane?

Maybe a bit tone deaf, but not scum baggy.
Passing the plate in a regular service is standard practice. This was no regular service.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would have to agree with [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] on that one.

You're really gonna pass the offering bucket in a service mostly attended by displaced people who have nothing?

How oblivious do you have to be to do that?

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I would have to agree with [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] on that one.

You're really gonna pass the offering bucket in a service mostly attended by displaced people who have nothing?

How oblivious do you have to be to do that?
It's uncouth, no doubt.

I wonder what Joel's tithe is?

peplaw06

Brand New Member
I'm no fan of the methods Osteen uses, but that said, I don't think people who are piling on to Osteen are looking at the big picture.

First, I know someone who works for the church, and there was indeed flooding there... and they were unable to get from their residence to the church. It's not just as simple as "opening the doors to the church." There needs to be someone there to do that right? Then there have to be supplies right? If you bring evacuees in and there are not provisions for them, you're not doing them much good, especially when there are other shelters who are prepared. So what if those people who needed to be there to open the doors couldn't get there? Travel wasn't exactly easy around the city, nor was it advised.

Certain people were able to open their doors to evacuees, and that should be commended. That doesn't mean that those who couldn't or didn't do the same thing deserve to be bashed.

Basically, this is just another chance for those who hate Christians in general, or Osteen specifically, to blast those who they don't agree with. How about instead of trying to create and perpetuate outrage, we all just recognize what is going on down there and do what we can to help out?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm no fan of the methods Osteen uses, but that said, I don't think people who are piling on to Osteen are looking at the big picture.

First, I know someone who works for the church, and there was indeed flooding there... and they were unable to get from their residence to the church. It's not just as simple as "opening the doors to the church." There needs to be someone there to do that right? Then there have to be supplies right? If you bring evacuees in and there are not provisions for them, you're not doing them much good, especially when there are other shelters who are prepared. So what if those people who needed to be there to open the doors couldn't get there? Travel wasn't exactly easy around the city, nor was it advised.

Certain people were able to open their doors to evacuees, and that should be commended. That doesn't mean that those who couldn't or didn't do the same thing deserve to be bashed.

Basically, this is just another chance for those who hate Christians in general, or Osteen specifically, to blast those who they don't agree with. How about instead of trying to create and perpetuate outrage, we all just recognize what is going on down there and do what we can to help out?
I tend to agree. A church is still a private system.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They probably shouldn't be tax exempt though.
I don't know that I follow that logic if you are saying that if the decision ito not avail the facilities to a the public because of internal determinations is the reason.

Top Bottom