Joel Osteen's church theft opens can of worms: Jaws drop as folks do the math

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You have a lot of anger in your heart. Let it go, brother. You'll lead a happier and healthier life for it.
Sorry, it's just a sore subject with me.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
A true follower of Christ would turn that grotesque monstrosity of a so called church into apartments for people who lost everything.

Cunts like Osteen, I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A true follower of Christ would turn that grotesque monstrosity of a so called church into apartments for people who lost everything.

Cunts like Osteen, I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.
Love your Christian attitude about all this. :art

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sorry, it's just a sore subject with me.
I mean, yeah, ultimately I'm kinda with you that the right thing to do is to open up his church; and probably was a result of pressure. But it was also a little early to be saying he's a scumbag for not doing it, etc. Big organization, wheels turn slowly, etc.

A bigger problem is the fact that it's corporate christianity.

Cotton

Staff member
I mean, yeah, ultimately I'm kinda with you that the right thing to do is to open up his church; and probably was a result of pressure. But it was also a little early to be saying he's a scumbag for not doing it, etc. Big organization, wheels turn slowly, etc.

A bigger problem is the fact that it's corporate christianity.
This is one of the biggest issues I have with it. A guy like my dad works his ass for 30 years just to put food on our plates, and does so because that is what he was led to do, and then this guy snake-charms 60k people.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't really give a shit about Osteen either way. I was just trying to annoy you.

Good day.

:hattip
I shouldn't give a shit. I really shouldn't. This dude doesn't affect my life one way or the other, but damn his shit annoys me.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I shouldn't give a shit. I really shouldn't. This dude doesn't affect my life one way or the other, but damn his shit annoys me.
I understand your perspective looking at it from your dads side. But let's just say your dad was in Osteens pay bracket. Would you still feel the same way you do now?

Cotton

Staff member
I understand your perspective looking at it from your dads side. But let's just say your dad was in Osteens pay bracket. Would you still feel the same way you do now?
It's tough to say. I know what is in my dad's heart. So, I would know he is still doing it for the right reasons. But, my dad would never have taken such a gig. He turned down plenty of offers to preach at bigger churches for more money and turned them down. He didn't feel like he could connect with the people as well at a bigger church and made the life choice to be broke and go to bed feeling like he was making a difference in a way that he felt comfortable.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Bullshit story. It really is nothing about nothing.

Again, I DO NOT care for him or the prosperity gospel. At all. I personally believe there is about a 10% chance that a man on his position wouldn't eventually fall to pride. That's just me but I try not to make a judgment about the situation like that. Because I don't know.

Still, it is easy to sit on your high horse in a dry place and think your have it all figured out from a tweet. Everyone is looking for teh debil in these deals. The superdome deal taught us some lessons about these things. Lakewood has an ERP that was thought out during other events. People don't understand that sometimes you follow a plan no matter the public's opinion. If it was greed they'd close the doors to evacuees and then open for service to collect very very large offerings. But they didn't. They said they would close the doors for safety until further notice and then everyone was like OMG THEY CLOSED THE DOORS TO EVACUEES! No dude, they closed the doors for everything until the shelters got full and then the overflow would come to them. That was the plan before the storm.

Also, it doesn't matter if you can have a camera walked around the building to see the parking dry. I think you guys fail to see that is not the issue. The issue is that the city is shut down for safety purposes. We have 1500 pieces of equipment that we desperately need in Victoria like NOW. But we can t get it here for that very reason. OMG SOMEONE JUST TWEETED OUR PARKING LOT WHERE OUT HQ IS DRY!!!! Good Lord, this is the most embarrassing bitch session ever. If Olsteen wanted publicity or money he would have opened the doors for services and the evacuees.

Cotton

Staff member
Bullshit story. It really is nothing about nothing.

Again, I DO NOT care for him or the prosperity gospel. At all. I personally believe there is about a 10% chance that a man on his position wouldn't eventually fall to pride. That's just me but I try not to make a judgment about the situation like that. Because I don't know.

Still, it is easy to sit on your high horse in a dry place and think your have it all figured out from a tweet. Everyone is looking for teh debil in these deals. The superdome deal taught us some lessons about these things. Lakewood has an ERP that was thought out during other events. People don't understand that sometimes you follow a plan no matter the public's opinion. If it was greed they'd close the doors to evacuees and then open for service to collect very very large offerings. But they didn't. They said they would close the doors for safety until further notice and then everyone was like OMG THEY CLOSED THE DOORS TO EVACUEES! No dude, they closed the doors for everything until the shelters got full and then the overflow would come to them. That was the plan before the storm.

Also, it doesn't matter if you can have a camera walked around the building to see the parking dry. I think you guys fail to see that is not the issue. The issue is that the city is shut down for safety purposes. We have 1500 pieces of equipment that we desperately need in Victoria like NOW. But we can t get it here for that very reason. OMG SOMEONE JUST TWEETED OUR PARKING LOT WHERE OUT HQ IS DRY!!!! Good Lord, this is the most embarrassing bitch session ever. If Olsteen wanted publicity or money he would have opened the doors for services and the evacuees.
1. Access to that entire neighborhood was available from the very beginning.

2. They closed the doors until the city was absolutely desperate for them? Even if true, that is still terrible for a church.

Cotton

Staff member

Exactly.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Exactly.
I have read some very different accounts about this matter so I will withhold further judgement until it all sifts out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I've seen some things too and it makes it seem like the "He shut his doors" crowd is really just looking to complain about him.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I don't know about opening the church as a shelter, but his move with the yacht was pretty tasteless. :unsure

Last edited:

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Cotton is almost as bad as me when he digs in. Freakin insufferable...

Top Bottom