Jimmy Johnson Goes Into The Ring Of Honor

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No protest from me.

Saint Tom is an all-timer. But hey.
Jimmy was great, no doubt. But he caught lightning in a bottle with a few trades and the right players that helped push his message. Guys like Michael Irvin (who was already here) and Troy Aikman. But Tom Landry came up with innovations that forever changed the game. Things that people are still using today. I'll take Landry.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Speaking of Tom vs Jimmah, do the SBs from the Jimmah era outweigh the SBs and 20 consecutive winning seasons from the Tom era?

Bill Shatner

Lock phasers on target
Jimmy was great, no doubt. But he caught lightning in a bottle with a few trades and the right players that helped push his message. Guys like Michael Irvin (who was already here) and Troy Aikman. But Tom Landry came up with innovations that forever changed the game. Things that people are still using today. I'll take Landry.
A few trades? :lol

51 I think is what it was.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A few trades? :lol

51 I think is what it was.
Yeah. A few trades. The ones that turned this team into a dynasty. The ones people remember. Namely, the Herschel Walker trade. For every successful trade and draft pick he had, he had 5 duds. The beauty of carpet bombing.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Terence Flagler and Alonzo Highsmith were two duds that come to mind

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, and as much as we all love Jimmy, who knows what happens if he doesn't have his HOF QB. Who was already slated to be drafted here before Jerry bought the team.

And that's not Jimmy bashing, just fact. There's a reason Miami didn't turn out the same way.

Back to that PC that just ended, I'm not the nostalgic type, really, but that was awesome. Those two finally have buried the hatchet. Not fake-buried, either, but really buried. It shouldn't have taken this long, but now that it has, It's great to see those two get along so well and see Jimmy so happy. He's still as awesome as ever, maybe even better.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
People that are dismissing Landry are putting too much weight on his last few years, and not giving enough credit to his first 20 or so years. he was truly an alltimer.

Same thing happens to Jason Witten. People dismiss him because old, slow Witten is what they remember. But he was truly special in his prime.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Jimmy was a master motivator, but Landry was a superior x's and o's guy. He was the offensive and defensive coordinator for God's sake.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The single most joyful moment in my life as a Cowboys fan.

Even at 13, I totally lost my shit.
Not often a snippet of film from a locker room postgame becomes a moment of history to always be remembered. Cherished by Cowboys fans, LOATHED by Cowboys haters.

I email this clip to a few people I know a few times a year. heh

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
People that are dismissing Landry are putting too much weight on his last few years, and not giving enough credit to his first 20 or so years. he was truly an alltimer.

Same thing happens to Jason Witten. People dismiss him because old, slow Witten is what they remember. But he was truly special in his prime.
And (again) Aikman. Too many people, especially younger ones, think the broken down Troy running for his life behind a bunch of terrible Campo lines was the only Troy there was.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Not often a snippet of film from a locker room postgame becomes a moment of history to always be remembered. Cherished by Cowboys fans, LOATHED by Cowboys haters.

I email this clip to a few people I know a few times a year. heh
I was already on an all time high by beating the 49ers and doing so for the opportunity to play in the Superbowl.

Even though the Cowboys didn't really have a rivalry with them yet, I just couldn't stand the 49ers as a kid..... Maybe because they were the dominant team of the 80s?

So to beat that team on their own field in the NFCC was the maximum for me.

And then Jimmy goes on and does that. :towel

No win will ever matter more to me and no moment will ever be better than that one.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I was already on an all time high by beating the 49ers and doing so for the opportunity to play in the Superbowl.

Even though the Cowboys didn't really have a rivalry with them yet, I just couldn't stand the 49ers as a kid..... Maybe because they are the dominant team of the 80s?

So to beat that team on their own field in the NFCC was the maximum for me.

And then Jimmy goes on and does that. :towel

No win will ever matter more to me and no moment will ever be better than that one.
You fucking child. We had a rivalry with the Niners before that. Hello? The Catch?

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Top Bottom