Jamal Adams Requests Trade

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Formally.

Schefter reported he'd welcome a trade to 7 teams; Ravens, Eagles, Seahawks, 49ers, Chiefs, Texans and of course the Cowboys.

I don't think it's feasible for the Ravens, Eagles, Chiefs or Texans to give up a 1 and a contract averaging 16+/year. The 49ers could swing it but they have multiple key players who are FA's next year in Kittle, Juszczyk, Trent Williams, DJ Jones, Jaquiski Tartt and Richard Sherman. Not to mention they just paid Jimmie Ward 9+/year.

Seattle and of course Dallas would seem to be the top two realistic contenders.

Honestly I think it Dallas’ greatest weakness. I say go for it. Lock him up for 6 years and call it a day. Damn sure don’t want the Eagles to get him. Next year they next a beast pass rusher!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Best trade fits for Jamal Adams, and what the New York Jets' safety is worth

Safety Jamal Adams has told the New York Jets that he wants to be traded, a source told ESPN. Could Adams, frustrated by contract negotiations, force the team's hand?

The 2017 top-10 pick has averaged 91 tackles over three seasons, and he has 12 sacks and two interceptions in his career. He is owed $3.5 million this season, and then $9.9 million in 2021 when/if the Jets pick up his fifth-year option.

Will he be traded? That remains to be seen. But we asked our experts where Adams would fit best in a trade, and whether the Jets could land a haul of draft picks in a hypothetical deal. And should Adams be the highest-paid safety in the NFL, as he desires? Our crew weighs in.

According to Adam Schefter, Adams would accept a trade to the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers or Seattle Seahawks.

Which of those represent the best fit for him?

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Eagles. Adams would be an easy fit in Jim Schwartz's system, given his versatile traits. In Philadelphia, Adams would match to tight ends in coverage, spin down as a robber safety/underneath zone defender or pressure the quarterback in schemed-up blitzes.

Mike Clay, fantasy writer: Eagles. Philadelphia currently ranks among the league leaders in cap space and has a major need at safety following the offseason departure of Malcolm Jenkins. Linebacker and edge rush depth are also weak spots, which makes Adams' versatility very intriguing. The Eagles are also in need of guard help following Brandon Brooks' injury, so perhaps a deal including Adams and Brian Winters could be in the cards.

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: Cowboys. Come on. He's from Texas, and he wants to play there. The Cowboys always seem to have a need at the position, and right now is no exception. It makes too much sense, though I still think he ends up signing with the Jets.

Aaron Schatz, editor of Football Outsiders: Eagles. Moving Jalen Mills to safety seems like a good idea, but let's make no mistake, Adams would be a major upgrade as a playmaker who could do everything Jenkins has done for the Eagles' defense in the past. And their weakness at linebacker makes them a team likely to mix in some three-safety packages.

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Ravens. Baltimore is always a good fit for veterans seeking a new direction, and it would know how to use Adams' skill set. Put him next to Earl Thomas III for a year for a Super Bowl push, and then let him anchor the defense for years to come after that.

Field Yates, NFL analyst: Cowboys. And this isn't simply acquiescing to Adams' affinity for Dallas. The Cowboys' two projected starting safeties are scheduled to be free agents next offseason, and Adams is a massive upgrade to their personnel. He fits in basically any defense, which makes the financial part of this equation that much more pertinent: Dallas -- even with a potential Dak Prescott mega-extension -- can make this work with its cap.

Would you trade two first-round picks for Adams?

Bowen: No. You simply can't give away high draft assets and sign Adams to a hefty contract extension. That's bad business in this league.
Clay: No. Trading away a pair of first-round picks means you intend to sign Adams to a pricey, long-term extension. Though Adams is worth the hefty salary, that's a) cap space that can't be used on other positions, and b) a loss of a pair of first-round talents on reasonably-priced, four-plus-year rookie contracts. The opportunity cost is simply too high.

Graziano: No. He's a great player, but where's the value in that? The Rams did it for Jalen Ramsey, who, as a shutdown cornerback, plays a far more valuable position. And the Jets still haven't signed him to an extension. Unless you can get the extension worked out before the trade is done, I think it's too risky to do this for a safety. And even if you can, I think it's too much to pay.

Schatz: No. This is the same problem as the Khalil Mack trade. You're essentially trading a bunch of draft value (future cost-controlled talent) so that you can give a player a market-level extension. If you give Adams the highest contract for a safety, and he plays like the league's best safety, you still aren't getting a discount. You're getting what you paid for. And if he doesn't play that well, you're overpaying. And if you aren't giving him an extension, why is he trying to get out of New York in the first place?

Seifert: Nope, especially when he will also need a high-end contract extension. A lot of this is about leverage and positioning. The percentage of trades that end up including two first-round picks, relative to the number that initially produced such rumors, is pretty low.
Yates: Nope. Here's the deal: No team is simply Jamal Adams away from a guaranteed deep run in the playoffs. Football just doesn't work like that, save rare exceptions where a single player allows a team to propel to the next level. And if you're a team that isn't even staring down a likely playoff trip, it's a massive price to pay for what could wind up being a pair of lottery picks plus the extension Adams covets.

Should Adams be the highest-paid safety in the NFL?

Bowen: Adams is a disruptive defender who fits in multiple schemes. He's a guy you want to coach. While I would like to see more on-the-ball production from Adams -- he has only two interceptions in his three pro seasons -- he would most likely reset the safety market given his overall production and age (24).

Clay: Yes. It's tough to justify the assets it would take to trade for Adams, but it's not hard to argue that he's worth an extension that resets the market. He's 24 years old, never leaves the field and is as versatile as they come, contributing at a high (if not elite) level in coverage, as a run defender and even as the occasional pass-rusher.

Graziano: Well, no, but mainly because of timing. Can you argue that he's a good enough player to make the $14 million or so a year that guys like Landon Collins, Kevin Byard, Tyrann Mathieu and Eddie Jackson are making? Sure. But right now you have him for two more years at a total of $13.36 million. Unless he's willing to sit out and not play, what's his leverage? I don't see why he's trying to do a deal now when he'd be better off waiting at least one year and putting himself in a better starting position for negotiations.

Schatz: If not the top safety in the game, Adams at least has a legitimate claim to being one of the top five. And when a top-five guy hits free agency, he usually gets a position-record contract. The only question is whether you're willing to pay him now when he still has two years left on his rookie deal. If that's what it cost to add Adams to my defense, I would pay it. The bigger problem -- see the previous question -- is that adding Adams won't just cost money; it will also cost draft picks.

Seifert: Maybe for a minute. He is among a small group of players who would be considered the best safeties in the game. When he gets a new deal, it's possible the numbers will rank at the top of that list -- until the next guy eclipses it.

Yates: Assuming the metric we are looking at is new money per-year averages, then yes. Because if a team were to extend Adams at, say, $58 million for four years ($14.5M per year), he would be due less than $72 million over six seasons, a palatable average that is less than $12M for the full life of the contract.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Heaven forbid they draft a fucking safety early.

I'd offer nothing more than a 2nd at this point.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
I dont know who enjoys stuff like this more, the media or the Cowboy base.

Media: NEXT AWESOME PLAYER WHO WONT MAKE A DIFFERENCE BUT YOU LL DROOL AT THE MOUTH TO GET HIM

Cowboy base: we dont care, we want him!!!!!!!!!!!

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Heaven forbid they draft a fucking safety early.

I'd offer nothing more than a 2nd at this point.
I think a 2020 1st round pick is an acceptable price (especially if we can keep his current contract in place).

This kid turns 25 in October and is already considered elite at his position, so color me intrigued. The trade value increases in two dimensions in Dallas' favor the better he gets as you win more games and drive down the value of the 1st rounder in direct response.

Would I rather have an elite DT? In general yes, but those guys who are truly worth it rarely come free. Adams has the feel of a player who might play at a high level for the next five years.

He also seriously solidifies the secondary, too.

I would make the trade if I felt he was a leader on the field and could bring some badly needed toughness to my team.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I hang up the phone when they start asking for Gallup and or Lamb.
If they want Gallup then the deal is straight up Gallup for Adams, maybe we can throw a 4th or something in to get it over the finish line, but there is no chance in hell they're getting a 1+Gallup.

Lamb is untouchable. He's one of the best WR's to come out in the last 10 years, he's a miracle, he's a bona fide top 5-8ish caliber prospect with no red flags who just fell to 17 due to a set of unlikely circumstances. You have a guy on a rookie deal for 5 years who will make at least one Pro Bowl during that time. He was Ja'Marr Chase playing with a retard QB at Oklahoma, everybody will be clamoring over Chase next year (and for good reason) but somehow we got more or less the same caliber of prospect to fall to us at 17.

If they want Lamb they have to actually give us picks back, I'd consider a 2+Adams for Lamb but I'm sure they won't so they can fuck off.

The most realistic deal in my mind is a 1 and let them pick any one of our DB's, except Diggs. They can have Woods, Awuzie, Lewis, Robinson, whoever, Woods/Awuzie/Lewis are all FA's next year so losing any one of them is no big deal. They still need help at CB so they might be intrigued by Lewis or Awuzie, and then maybe throw in a 5th or something to close the deal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I also don't think the Eagles are a viable trade partner. They're projected to be $51 million above the cap next year, I'm sure they could easily restructure a bunch of contracts and open up some space but do you really want to do that and give up a 1+change?

You already have the highest paid CB in the league and are completely strapped for cap space, so is it really worth it to give up picks and make Adams the highest paid safety in the league as well?

Seems a bit too rich for them to get seriously involved.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Gallup is just the right kind of good. Talented enough and has worked his ass off for the rest. Dude made every kind of tough, circus catch last year.

Really has turned himself into a weapon and you could argue consistently outplayed Cooper down the stretch, especially on the road.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I hope Adams resigns with the Jets.

Or some other team comes in with an offer they can't refuse. I wouldn't even care if it was Philly. Let him fuck up their draft capital and cap space.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I really like Adams but I get tired of trading first round picks for guys. Maybe if we would just draft a damn safety we wouldn't be in this predicament. I'm not saying we should have in 2020 but 2019 was perfect for us to take a safety.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Some random ESPN donk tweeted that Adams is looking to be paid as one of the top defensive players in general, not as just the highest paid safety. If that's the case then I'd drop my offer way down, probably to like a 3rd and 5th or something.

Giving up a 1 and change then paying him 16/year is way different than a 1 and change and then having him demand 20+/year.

There's no telling how much truth there is to this though and it's very possible he'd be willing to sign for less in Dallas considering he's seemingly been pining for the Cowboys to trade for him for months now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jamal Adams Pros:

1) He's a sure thing
2) He's 24
3) He still has one year on his rookie deal with a fifth year option under a less expensive CBA
4) His talent is worthy of both a long term deal and a 2020 1st round pick
5) He can help you win now (and make the 2020 1st rounder traded away less valuable)

Jamal Adams Cons:

1) He costs a 2020 1st round pick, specifically...
a) lost opportunity for a better value that might fall
b) four years of a low priced contract with a fifth year option
c) if the team fails to win now, the 2020 1st rounder traded away becomes more valuable
d) Adams is 3 years older than a 2020 rookie
2) He doesn't intercept the football and is more of a strong safety
3) He's a safety. Does Dallas even care about safeties?

This similar to the Cooper trade, except:
1) WR is a much more critical position than safety
2) Preseason trade... 16 games from Adams vs. 9 from Cooper

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd want a deal basically worked out before I'd ever make a trade like has been mentioned.

Top Bottom