Interesting race topics . . .

Jiggyfly

Banned
'Dear White People' Netflix series trailer sparks boycott
February 11, 2017 11:21 AM
By Kaydi Pelletier kaydi.pelletier@newsday.com

The 2014 dramedy "Dear White People" may have been beloved by both critics and audiences, but it seems not everyone is thrilled about a forthcoming Netflix series adaptation of the film.

On Wednesday, the streaming service dropped a 30-second tease and launch date announcement (April 28) for the series, which, like the hit movie is about racial tensions at a fictional Ivy League university. The gist of the teaser: Blackface is not OK.

Not only has the preview racked more than 3 million views on YouTube in its first few days, but it has amassed nearly 10 times as many thumbs-down votes as thumbs-up: more than 328,000 disses compared to 37,000 likes as of Saturday morning.

Some Netflix users are apparently so outraged they are canceling subscriptions and calling for a boycott of the site, saying "Dear White People" is race-baiting and calls for "white genocide."

"New upcoming show called Dear White People on Netflix is just another idiotic show trying to push white guilt. Don't be brainwashed!" Twitter user @GMconservative wrote on the social-media site Wednesday shortly after the trailer dropped on Netflix's YouTube channel.

Filmmaker Justin Simien, who created the 2014 film and is directing the series adaptation, has responded to that tweet — writing, "It's actually a love letter to my white boyfriend [��] " — and the boycott as a whole. According to Simien, the criticism made Wednesday's preview the most-viewed teaser-announcement ever for a new Netflix series.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:picard what a freakin crybaby. I'm sorry but that is too much foe me. If a black person called me a white boy I'd just smile.
If a black person called me a cracker or honkey I would just smile, as well.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Sadly the race thread hasn't gained traction...

Jiggyfly

Banned
Long before that, why do you think Margeret Sanger started the origins of Planned Parenthood in NY?
We were talking about government actions and yes she had some extreme ideas regarding race "purification" and she was hardly alone.

2233boys

Not So New Member
We were talking about government actions and yes she had some extreme ideas regarding race "purification" and she was hardly alone.
That's a right wing ploy to try and belittle all the good Planned Parenthood does and discredit Hillary by pointing our Sanger's eugenics issues/comments.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
'Dear White People' Netflix series trailer sparks boycott
February 11, 2017 11:21 AM
By Kaydi Pelletier kaydi.pelletier@newsday.com

The 2014 dramedy "Dear White People" may have been beloved by both critics and audiences, but it seems not everyone is thrilled about a forthcoming Netflix series adaptation of the film.

On Wednesday, the streaming service dropped a 30-second tease and launch date announcement (April 28) for the series, which, like the hit movie is about racial tensions at a fictional Ivy League university. The gist of the teaser: Blackface is not OK.

Not only has the preview racked more than 3 million views on YouTube in its first few days, but it has amassed nearly 10 times as many thumbs-down votes as thumbs-up: more than 328,000 disses compared to 37,000 likes as of Saturday morning.

Some Netflix users are apparently so outraged they are canceling subscriptions and calling for a boycott of the site, saying "Dear White People" is race-baiting and calls for "white genocide."

"New upcoming show called Dear White People on Netflix is just another idiotic show trying to push white guilt. Don't be brainwashed!" Twitter user @GMconservative wrote on the social-media site Wednesday shortly after the trailer dropped on Netflix's YouTube channel.

Filmmaker Justin Simien, who created the 2014 film and is directing the series adaptation, has responded to that tweet — writing, "It's actually a love letter to my white boyfriend [��] " — and the boycott as a whole. According to Simien, the criticism made Wednesday's preview the most-viewed teaser-announcement ever for a new Netflix series.
I've seen the trailer. I'm sure it's race baiting and it seems a little unfair that a show called "Dear White People" is socially acceptable and a show called "Dear Black People" isn't. But frankly I've seen the preview and it's not really offensive to me. I didn't see the movie either but the previews of it certainly don't come off as racist to me either. Seems more like discussion on race, and just happens to be that the main character falls on the black side of that coin.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
That's a right wing ploy to try and belittle all the good Planned Parenthood does and discredit Hillary by pointing our Sanger's eugenics issues/comments.
Feh. I hear echoes of abortion's social Darwinist roots even today, when someone promotes access to abortion as a means to prevent child abuse and alleviate poverty.

Planned Parenthood may do mammograms, but its roots are its roots.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Feh. I hear echoes of abortion's social Darwinist roots even today, when someone promotes access to abortion as a means to prevent child abuse and alleviate poverty.

What?

Should we take everything to its roots or realize what they actually are at this moment.

Its like Cruz calling the Democrats the party of the KKK when everyone knows they vote republican since the 60's.

2233boys

Not So New Member

I am sure it is in right wing circles.

Cotton

Staff member
Planned Parenthood, folks....

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I thought this was pretty much common knowledge. The only people who disagree with this are the ones deceived by the slanted public outcry.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

I think that Ashley Judd and the like should go on a March and use the appropriate language for what PP really is all about, which is terminating pregnancies. Stop using deceptive words to push young women towards the worst decision of their life.

Cotton

Staff member
I thought this was pretty much common knowledge. The only people who disagree with this are the ones deceived by the slanted public outcry.
I though it was pretty common knowledge, as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I though it was pretty common knowledge, as well.
Abortions and birth control are what Planned Parenthood are about. And that's fine by me.

It is funny that their name is planned parenthood though. Gives you the feeling that they actually support parenthood. In reality the name is an indication that they help to prevent "unplanned pregnancies."

Kbrown

Not So New Member
What?

Should we take everything to its roots or realize what they actually are at this moment.

Its like Cruz calling the Democrats the party of the KKK when everyone knows they vote republican since the 60's.
We should take things to its roots whenever the philosophical underpinnings of said roots continue to guide its mission.

Abortion is a particular horror, because its proponents have guided the conversation in a way that puts forth the taking of an unborn life as an act of mercy, and some genuinely charitable people have been persuaded to go along.

When Kermit Gosnell was tried for maiming women and butchering children, I remember reading articles which posited that the reason he thrived was there were no "good" abortion places like Planned Parenthood around. Horror on horror.

I've said it before but there is something fundamentally out of wack with a country that gives corporations the rights of individual citizens but defines unborn humans as an abstract bundle of cells.

Top Bottom