Interesting race topics . . .

Jiggyfly

Banned
Glad you posted this because it is so true. And something that a lot of people won't admit is a problem.

Some can take offense with this, but I don't give a shit. Sometimes kids are seen as assets. More kids, the more welfare you can get.

I have come across people in my lifetime that do this, literally.

Poverty and pregnancy go hand in hand. There is not exactly a bunch of smart, unemotional decisions being made. Life sucks you do drugs and you get laid. That's basically a very simple side effect.

It is a profound cultural issue and a real divide in people understanding things.
That's it in a nutshell.

Add in the stupid idea that having a baby will help keep him around and its complete mess.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Make sterilization centers the only place you can get legal crack. Snip snip and here's your dime bag.
One difficulty I see with that is it's the female that ultimately calls the shots. If boyfriend A is snipped then if she is looking to have a baby she moves to boyfriend B.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Same qualifications listed, a resume from Greg O'Malley will get more job callbacks than Jorge Gonzalez or Yun Wong. Yun Wong will get more responses if he uses his nickname Justin Wong. An online auction (say Ebay) for an object like an iPhone will get more bidders and sell for more if the pictures show the object being held by a white hand vs a black hand.

Thoughts?
This is just so wong.

Juan more of these posts and your on ignore.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Same qualifications listed, a resume from Greg O'Malley will get more job callbacks than Jorge Gonzalez or Yun Wong. Yun Wong will get more responses if he uses his nickname Justin Wong. An online auction (say Ebay) for an object like an iPhone will get more bidders and sell for more if the pictures show the object being held by a white hand vs a black hand.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? Yes. Stop it before you cause friction with this group. :tippytoe

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thoughts?
Is Yun Wong super attractive, because attractive people have better odds of getting a job in my opinion...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Did you guys see the Georgia couple who was sentenced to 13 years and 6 years in jail, respectively, for driving around in pickup trucks with the Confederate flag, yelling the N word at black people?

Apparently the male confronted some of the victims with a shot gun but it's unclear from reading news articles how serious that was.

Man, if that was a first offense for them, that is waaaaaaay too long. Terroristic threats and aggravated assault gets you 13 years??

In Pennsylvania, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon that causes bodily injury, if a first offense, has a guideline range of 9-16 MONTHS!!! And this incident didn't produce any bodily injury.

Terroristic threats could be JUST probation in PA.

Seems wrong to me to give 13 years to someone for yelling the N word and pointing a gun.

Judge must be super biased or has political aspirations.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you guys see the Georgia couple who was sentenced to 13 years and 6 years in jail, respectively, for driving around in pickup trucks with the Confederate flag, yelling the N word at black people?

Apparently the male confronted some of the victims with a shot gun but it's unclear from reading news articles how serious that was.

Man, if that was a first offense for them, that is waaaaaaay too long. Terroristic threats and aggravated assault gets you 13 years??

In Pennsylvania, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon that causes bodily injury, if a first offense, has a guideline range of 9-16 MONTHS!!! And this incident didn't produce any bodily injury.

Terroristic threats could be JUST probation in PA.

Seems wrong to me to give 13 years to someone for yelling the N word and pointing a gun.

Judge must be super biased or has political aspirations.
Yeah, if you take the N word out of it that's easily probation at worst here in Missouri. Probably could get it dropped to a misdemeanor if it's a first offense (Have a client that I'm doing that with right now). Throwing the N word in there though starts to make it a political uproar and suddenly Judges and Prosecutors are more concerned about being elected again.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Georgia couple gets prison for racist threats at child's birthday party
By Mayra Cuevas and Ralph Ellis, CNN
Updated 3:23 AM ET, Wed March 1, 2017

"The convoy of trucks passed by the victim's residence where the victims were grilling hot dogs and hamburgers while hosting a child's birthday party featuring a bouncy castle, snow-cone machines, and a DJ," the district attorney's office posted on its official Facebook page.

The party-goers said the people in the trucks yelled racial slurs as they passed, the statement said.

The drivers parked the trucks near the house, prosecutors said. Torres was part of a smaller group that "threatened to kill the party goers while repeatedly using derogatory racial slurs against them," said the statement.
"Torres, who had retrieved a shotgun from his vehicle, pointed his shotgun at the group of African American party-goers and stated he was going to kill them while his co-defendants stated that 'the little ones can get one too,' referring to the young children at the party," the statement said.
Norton was accused of making similar threats. The victims said some member of Torres' group was armed with a knife and a tire tool.

According to the district attorney's statement, Torres testified he carried the shotgun because he feared for his friends' safety. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported members of "Respect the Flag" said people at the party had thrown objects at them.

CNN has tried to reach the two defendants' lawyers for comment.
After the arrests, investigators looked through the defendants' Facebook accounts, the statement said.

"Law enforcement was able to locate numerous posts and messages indicating that members of the group were white supremacists who discussed attending KKK rallies, joining Skinheads Nation, and making numerous derogatory remarks about African Americans as a whole," the DA's statement said.
Video of Monday's sentencing shot by WSB-TV, a CNN affiliate, showed both Torres and Norton breaking down in court as Judge William McClain handed down the sentence.

Norton apologized for her role in the incident saying, "I want you all to know that is not me. That is not me, that is not him. I would never walk up to you and say those words to you. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I am so sorry."

Hyesha Bryant, one of the people at the party, testified at the hearing and told Norton, "What you said affected my life. It affected my children's lives."
But Bryant ended up telling Norton that "I forgive you, I forgive all of you."
'They have to learn to forgive themselves'

Melissa Alford, who hosted the birthday party, told HLN's Ashleigh Banfield on Tuesday that she still feels emotional about what happened in 2015, but justice was served.

"I think Judge Beau McClain did what he had to do" at the sentencing, she said. "I know justice was served."

Like Bryant, Alford was concerned about the lasting impact the day had on the children at the party, but she also has forgiven the defendants.

"Yes, I did forgive them. They have to learn to forgive themselves for their wrongdoing," Alford said.

For her, offering forgiveness was more about finding peace. "I'm not going around hating anyone."

She also shared with Banfield that the children who were at the party are still confused.

One of her grandchildren is white, she added. "How am I supposed to explain the difference between white and black when she doesn't see that. How are the other kids supposed to explain?"

A jury convicted Torres and Norton on February 6. They are both banished from Douglas County when they're released from prison.

Fifteen members of the Respect the Flag group were originally indicted. The disposition of all their cases is unknown, but the district attorney said some of them pleaded guilty to similar charges and received shorter sentences.

Yeah the sentencing seems to be excessive but people are over sentenced all the time to prove a point.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you need an example of what is truly deplorable then this situation is a good example. People like Torres needs a pretty stiff sentence for this kind of incident. Obviously Hillarys depiction of deplorable was misstated considerably.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think a pretty stiff sentence for causing exactly zero injury would have been a year in jail.

13 years is more than people serve for like manslaughter sometimes.

townsend

Banned
If you need an example of what is truly deplorable then this situation is a good example. People like Torres needs a pretty stiff sentence for this kind of incident. Obviously Hillarys depiction of deplorable was misstated considerably.
Her definition was right, just not her proprotion. The entire point of the "deplorables" speech was that alt-right, KKK, etc all supported Trump and are unredeemable scum, but a lot of the people who supported him were doing it because the market wasn't working for them. it's another example of how the press wasnt as much biased left, but biased towards the next "gaffe" or "scandal".

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think a pretty stiff sentence for causing exactly zero injury would have been a year in jail.

13 years is more than people serve for like manslaughter sometimes.
I agree with you. This is ridiculous.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Her definition was right, just not her proprotion. The entire point of the "deplorables" speech was that alt-right, KKK, etc all supported Trump and are unredeemable scum, but a lot of the people who supported him were doing it because the market wasn't working for them. it's another example of how the press wasnt as much biased left, but biased towards the next "gaffe" or "scandal".
Horseshit.

townsend

Banned
Horseshit.
Her speech:
"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case -- and don't get complacent, don't see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think, well, he's done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

"But the other basket -- and I know this because I see friends from all over America here -- I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas -- as well as, you know, New York and California -- but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Her speech:
And you don't see the crap meter overflowing here. She attributes the majority of Trump supporters as deplorable. In other words the scum of the earth is what got Trump elected? My goodness man one would have to have an unstable mind to accept that her statement in any context as even being close to being true.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And you don't see the crap meter overflowing here. She attributes the majority of Trump supporters as deplorable. In other words the scum of the earth is what got Trump elected? My goodness man one would have to have an unstable mind to accept that her statement in any context as even being close to being true.
It's like a person saying the most offensive thing imaginable and then following it up with "no offense." Hillary didn't need to say that entire first half of her speech in order to say the second half. You didn't need to call half of Trump supporters deplorables to explain that half of his supporters are hard working American's that are just sick of government. There is no context needed. The statement stands on it's own that Hillary said

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people -- now 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks -- they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America."

2233boys

Not So New Member
This is completely off topic maybe not completely but certainly a tangent.

I have been into family trees for quite awhile, and since my father died when I was a baby, I didn't really have a lot of history on his lineage. I had gleaned some stuff while combing through public records and such but not a ton. I do know from my mothers side I have ancestors who came from Ireland and Scotland in the 1700's and Switzerland in the mid 1800's. Also my fathers grandparents on his mothers side, came in the late 1800's from Germany.

My wife bought me a DNA kit from Ancestry for my Birthday

Primarily 33% I have DNA from England Scotland and Wales
Secondly 31% Ireland Scotland and Wales again
23% Western European Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein,

Then it gets interesting
4% Eastern European, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Slovenia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, according to Ancestry my last name is a Polish Jew name.
2% from Italy
2% from Spain and Portugal
3% from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey
1% Asia Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
1% Scandinavia

I mostly European, but I am Jewish and Middle Eastern. I have not found a lot of Lineage on my father Paternal side, so I imagine a lot of the little traces may come from that side.

But is interesting when the topic of go back to where you came from comes up. Where would I go?

Top Bottom