Interesting race topics . . .

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can we please stop using the phrase "reverse racism"? There is no such thing. It's just racism. No matter the color of the skin of the person doing it.

Thank you, carry on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
"Equal rights"
Equal rights isn't even the issue with this program mindset. It's more like a consequence reliever. What was done with the Africans who were forced into slavery is completely abhorrent. I think most will agree on that. The question now is are subsequent generations of the nation responsible to try to appease this act by rewarding subsequent generations of the victims? Is there actual justice in reporation to current American citizens?

If this is an acceptable method of redemption for the acts of national ancestors then how are similiar issues such as the treatment to the Native American Indians to be dealt with or has the Native American already been made right by the acts of the Federal Government? Then there is the question of why should succeeding generations of the Africans and Native American benefit at all since the were not victums of the wrongful acts?

The Federal Government has already mandated equal rights as the remedy for all citizens of this country so what is left to do? Am I responsible for the historical acts and are the descendants of the victums entitled to something from me?

Cotton

Staff member
Equal rights isn't even the issue with this program mindset. It's more like a consequence reliever. What was done with the Africans who were forced into slavery is completely abhorrent. I think most will agree on that. The question now is are subsequent generations of the nation responsible to try to appease this act by rewarding subsequent generations of the victims? Is there actual justice in reporation to current American citizens?

If this is an acceptable method of redemption for the acts of national ancestors then how are similiar issues such as the treatment to the Native American Indians to be dealt with or has the Native American already been made right by the acts of the Federal Government? Then there is the question of why should succeeding generations of the Africans and Native American benefit at all since the were not victums of the wrongful acts?

The Federal Government has already mandated equal rights as the remedy for all citizens of this country so what is left to do? Am I responsible for the historical acts and are the descendants of the victums entitled to something from me?
The quotes around the words were meant to signify the use of sarcasm. I completely agree with you.

townsend

Banned
"Equal rights"
Equal rights are a noble goal, but literally unacheivable. All we can do is try and dismantle the things that are in place, and are being reinforced, to trap minorities in cycles of poverty. Until we get rid of the prison pipeline, the "war on drugs" (aka Nixon's war on blacks), the jack booted oppression of blacks in inner cities by police, and the segregation of public schools, I think free college for black Americans is the least we could do.

Cotton

Staff member
Equal rights are a noble goal, but literally unacheivable. All we can do is try and dismantle the things that are in place, and are being reinforced, to trap minorities in cycles of poverty. Until we get rid of the prison pipeline, the "war on drugs" (aka Nixon's war on blacks), the jack booted oppression of blacks in inner cities by police, and the segregation of public schools, I think free college for black Americans is the least we could do.
And, you are doing nothing but making the problem worse. "Feed a man a fish versus teach a man to fish" rings true.

townsend

Banned
And, you are doing nothing but making the problem worse. "Feed a man a fish versus teach a man to fish" rings true.
You 'teach a man to fish' by sending him to college, you send a man to college by eliminating as best as possible the financial hurdles that are in place due to discrimination. No one ever benefitted from paying their own 5 to 6 figure tuition costs, they just ended up further behind the 8-ball when it was time to start a career. There's a reason why kids who grow up in luxury have a much much higher chance of graduating with diploma, money matters.

Cotton

Staff member
You 'teach a man to fish' by sending him to college, you send a man to college by eliminating as best as possible the financial hurdles that are in place due to discrimination. No one ever benefitted from paying their own 5 to 6 figure tuition costs, they just ended up further behind the 8-ball when it was time to start a career. There's a reason why kids who grow up in luxury have a much much higher chance of graduating with diploma, money matters.
You "teach a man" to be dependent on the government. The word equal doesn't mean what it used to. In either race relations or gender relations.

townsend

Banned
You "teach a man" to be dependent on the government. The word equal doesn't mean what it used to. In either race relations or gender relations.
Because it isn't equal. In the same way it wasn't equal during segregation, people said it was, because they liked to make themselves feel better, but legitimately they were propping up an incredibly oppressive system that treated blacks as second class citizens. Which is what "equal rights" means today, delusion based on willful ignorance of oppression.

Cotton

Staff member
Because it isn't equal. In the same way it wasn't equal during segregation, people said it was, because they liked to make themselves feel better, but legitimately they were propping up an incredibly oppressive system that treated blacks as second class citizens. Which is what "equal rights" means today, delusion based on willful ignorance of oppression.
So, how far do we go? We give college for free. We already have affirmative action, so there is an advantage there. We already give money to the poor, so do we give more? Do we make their mortgage interest free, or pay it altogether? Do we make them tax free so they don't have to pay sales or income tax? Oh wait, we already do that second one. Do we give them vehicles to get to work?

Honestly, I would be insulted if you told me you had to give me something for me to succeed in life.

Cotton

Staff member
And, what about poor white and Hispanic people? Do they not need this advantage, too? I mean, the idea is that only the rich get to go to college, so the rest of the poor population will need some kind of leg up, as well.

townsend

Banned
So, how far do we go? We give college for free. We already have affirmative action, so there is an advantage there. We already give money to the poor, so do we give more? Do we make their mortgage interest free, or pay it altogether? Do we make them tax free so they don't have to pay sales or income tax? Oh wait, we already do that second one. Do we give them vehicles to get to work?

Honestly, I would be insulted if you told me you had to give me something for me to succeed in life.
A lot of people in this country cruise to success on the strength of their parents wealth. No one thinks anything of it. That "help" is just what a parent is expected to do for their kid, if they can.

That's why people trapped in cycles of poverty need more help, because the (rapidly diminishing) wealth of the middle class that lets parents help their kids succeed was intentionally withheld from blacks for generations.

It's cute when people pretend success is acheived through independence. As if they weren't educated by other peoples dollars, lived in other peoples homes, worked for other people, got mortgages and built businesses on loan with other peoples money. Every successful person in this country has about a dozen moments where their entire life would have been derailed if they couldn't find a landlord that would lease to them, a bank that would loan to them, someone who was willing to take a chance on them. Anyone who truly believes they're independent is deluded.

Cotton

Staff member
A lot of people in this country cruise to success on the strength of their parents wealth. No one thinks anything of it. That "help" is just what a parent is expected to do for their kid, if they can.

That's why people trapped in cycles of poverty need more help, because the (rapidly diminishing) wealth of the middle class that lets parents help their kids succeed was intentionally withheld from blacks for generations.

It's cute when people pretend success is acheived through independence. As if they weren't educated by other peoples dollars, lived in other peoples homes, worked for other people, got mortgages and built businesses on loan with other peoples money. Every successful person in this country has about a dozen moments where their entire life would have been derailed if they couldn't find a landlord that would lease to them, a bank that would loan to them, someone who was willing to take a chance on them. Anyone who truly believes they're independent is deluded.
Loaning people money and paying them for a job they do is not even close to giving people stuff. Try again.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

You seriously don't think you've been given something for you to succeed?
Human beings are born completely dependent, and though you might have been "born poor" you have been given multiple things.

Cotton

Staff member
You seriously don't think you've been given something for you to succeed?
Human beings are born completely dependent, and though you might have been "born poor" you have been given multiple things.
By my parents, sure. By the government? Not so much. If you are trying to equate the two, you are way offbase.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You are going to school as a result of having access to the GI Bill right? If you didn't have that avenue would you think you were entitled to a college education simply because you couldn't afford college? If you think so please state why you would be owed that right and who and why someone should be obligated to furnish it to you. Remember the government doesn't have any resources unless they tax someone or create a debt for the tax payer.. Now who owes you that right.

vince

Not So New Member
In statement to The News, DeSoto board president explains why no decision has been made yet about Todd Peterman
By Ben Baby , Staff Writer

DESOTO -- One of the reigning state football champions could be looking for a new coach.

The DeSoto ISD school board Monday discussed the status of coach Todd Peterman, who led the Eagles to their first state championship in 2016. After three hours of deliberation in a closed session, the school board took no action.

According to a report from The News earlier in the day, four of the seven board trustees were leaning toward firing Peterman, with Superintendent David Harris in favor of keeping the coach.

Board president Carl Sherman Jr. declined all questions following the meeting, which ended just after 11:30 p.m.

Sherman Jr. did, however, say this in a statement to The News:

"We've received information that warrants further consideration, and we've directed the Superintendent to conduct additional due diligence right away. We will release additional information as quickly as we possibly can."

The team's unofficial chaplain, Abe Cooper, told the board and the audience he hoped race wasn't a factor regarding Peterman's status at DeSoto.

"We pray that that's not the case and he will be renewed," Cooper said.

Peterman is white. In 2015-16, 80.4 percent of DeSoto's 2,440 students identified as African-American, according to a report from the Texas Education Agency.

Peterman was promoted in 2015 after seven seasons as the team's offensive coordinator. Peterman took over after former coach Claude Mathis, who is black, took an assistant position at SMU.

DeSoto went 16-0 last season and won the Class 6A Division II state title.

Former NFL linebacker Zach Orr, a DeSoto and North Texas alumnus, indicated people were originally skeptical of Peterman's hire because of his race. He said that seems to be the reason behind the potential change.

"They act like they can't handle a white man running a predominantly black football team, which is very sad," said Orr, whose three brothers also played for DeSoto. "Me, I want what's best for the kids, our youth and our community. That's what Coach Peterman is."

Orr's father, Terry, was one of the members of the public who spoke during the open session and hoped race wasn't a factor in the current situation.

Former board member Vandous Stripling said six of the board's seven members originally voted to hire Peterman. Stripling, who served from 2010 to 2016 and is running for a vacancy, said the statement regarding the race issue doesn't fit the community.

"To make this that it's a race thing, if it would have been a race thing, we'd have never hired him," Stripling said.

Roughly 30 to 40 football players were at the meeting in support of their head coach, according to senior Xavier Newman, a Baylor signee.

"He's just been a good role model toward me and the rest of my teammates and stuff," Newman said. "Just hearing they were going to fire him and they didn't have a logical reason to fire him, it wasn't right."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is fucking ridiculous.

townsend

Banned
You are going to school as a result of having access to the GI Bill right? If you didn't have that avenue would you think you were entitled to a college education simply because you couldn't afford college? If you think so please state why you would be owed that right and who and why someone should be obligated to furnish it to you. Remember the government doesn't have any resources unless they tax someone or create a debt for the tax payer.. Now who owes you that right.
I think education should be affordable it's no secret that a 4 year degree used to be the price of a car, but now it's the price of a mortgage. I don't think anyone owed me my college education, although universities that take tax dollars owe their citizens more than they're offering.

But I should mention that I'm a the second GI Bill recipient in my family. My grandfather got his after WW2. At the same time as some black grandfather was being refused the education he earned, mine was getting a bachelors. When someone was unable to find a good job for lack of a degree, my grandfather got a job as an insurance adjuster that kept him comfortable and sent all his kids to college. When I grew up, my mom, who had a degree in education from Texas Tech, homeschooled me through the 5th grade. By the time I went to public school I was way ahead of my peers and was demolishing standardized tests. Even though my parents couldn't afford to pay for my college, I got waivers granted to enlist despite some breathing problems I had, on the strength of the 96 I scored on the ASVAB.

Without all of that, I may have never made it into the military, and never been able to go to college. All starting with a foundation of my grandfather having a skin color that allowed him to go to college.

townsend

Banned
By my parents, sure. By the government? Not so much. If you are trying to equate the two, you are way offbase.
How were you educated? I assume the government paid your way through high school, did that dependence on the gov't mess you up?

Cotton

Staff member
I think education should be affordable it's no secret that a 4 year degree used to be the price of a car, but now it's the price of a mortgage. I don't think anyone owed me my college education, although universities that take tax dollars owe their citizens more than they're offering.

But I should mention that I'm a the second GI Bill recipient in my family. My grandfather got his after WW2. At the same time as some black grandfather was being refused the education he earned, mine was getting a bachelors. When someone was unable to find a good job for lack of a degree, my grandfather got a job as an insurance adjuster that kept him comfortable and sent all his kids to college. When I grew up, my mom, who had a degree in education from Texas Tech, homeschooled me through the 5th grade. By the time I went to public school I was way ahead of my peers and was demolishing standardized tests. Even though my parents couldn't afford to pay for my college, I got waivers granted to enlist despite some breathing problems I had, on the strength of the 96 I scored on the ASVAB.

Without all of that, I may have never made it into the military, and never been able to go to college. All starting with a foundation of my grandfather having a skin color that allowed him to go to college.
So, they didn't give GI bills to black people that served? I'm seriously asking.

Cotton

Staff member
How were you educated? I assume the government paid your way through high school, did that dependence on the gov't mess you up?
Uhh, school taxes paid my way through high school. So, in essence, my parents paid for it. Not sure how the two relate.

Top Bottom