Interesting race topics . . .

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Comparing an organization that's formed in protest of the needless executions of innocent unarmed black men, with an organization that is known for executing black men is fucking stupid.
Well some would probably argue that some of the officer killings were executions by BLM as well.

The father of a Dallas cop shot dead by a sniper who opened fire on an anti-police brutality demonstration is suing Black Lives Matter and other groups, claiming it incited a “war on police” that ultimately killed his son.

townsend

Banned
Well some would probably argue that some of the officer killings were executions by BLM as well.

The father of a Dallas cop shot dead by a sniper who opened fire on an anti-police brutality demonstration is suing Black Lives Matter and other groups, claiming it incited a “war on police” that ultimately killed his son.
But the sniper was unaffiliated. You've been on the other side of this argument. Cops always try and ghoulishly leverage these kinds of tragedies to their political benefit.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But the sniper was unaffiliated. You've been on the other side of this argument. Cops always try and ghoulishly leverage these kinds of tragedies to their political benefit.
I'm not really taking a side on this issue. Just playing a little devils advocate. Personally I think cops over step their bounds way too often but I also think BLM is a movement based on violence and bullying that attempts to put the value of an African American life above the life of others.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
BLM to KKK is a shitty comparison. First of all KKK had a pretty well structured hierarchy, second their entire movement was based on a belief in enforcing white supremacy.

Comparing an organization that's formed in protest of the needless executions of innocent unarmed black men, with an organization that is known for executing black men is fucking stupid.
A more meaningful comparison is that both elements foster a hatred of the opposing race.

kidd

DCC 4Life
BLM to KKK is a shitty comparison. First of all KKK had a pretty well structured hierarchy, second their entire movement was based on a belief in enforcing white supremacy.

Ok I concede that it's a stupid comparison.

However, that being said, it's equally stupid to try to portray BLM as some benevolent organization that is just given a bad name by a few people who are "unaffiliated"!

Jiggyfly

Banned
All Your Favorite Cartoon Characters Are Black
SH
SARAH HAGI
Apr 21 2017, 4:45pm

Bugs Bunny, black. Scrappy Doo, black. Elmo, definitely black.

An internet friend and I share a deep interest in a specific type of internet culture. Our correspondence is exclusively sending one another really bad illustrations of childhood cartoon characters in street wear and people in off-brand character suits dancing (this was all sparked by our mutual love of this Bugs Bunny meme). While searching for more memes, my friend sent me this screenshot.

I responded, "He's black, duh."

After thinking about it a bit more, I realized that, for many, this wasn't an inherent fact. Bugs Bunny is a rabbit, and while he is anthropomorphic, the suspension of disbelief only stretches so far for some people. It might not be a widely held understanding for white people, so immediately after talking to my friend about Bugs Bunny being black, I turned to my (admittedly, mostly white) colleagues and asked around.

"Do you think Bugs Bunny is black?" I asked, only for many to not really understand the question. "Is this a trick?" one suspicious white man asked. "No." I responded, "It's a very simple yes or no question."

After many conversations that involved white people trying very hard to not to say the wrong thing, someone finally asked how I knew—a question I couldn't really answer. I just knew. Once I explained my vague reasoning (he just is,) some understood but I left most of these interactions realizing it wasn't so simple.

There's no doubt in my mind Bugs Bunny is a black man. To me, it's as obvious as anything I've always known. The sky? Blue. Grass? Green. Bugs Bunny? Very black. It doesn't end with Bugs Bunny, either. While Bugs is arguably one of the most widely recognizable cartoon characters of all time, I've known in my heart that many other characters are black. The best way to describe it would be like a type of synesthesia but for race and cartoons. Soon, I began obsessively updating a memo on my phone of all the characters I felt were black. I now have a list of over 20 characters from my childhood that I'm still updating. Bob from Reboot, Brain from Arthur, the Pink Panther, Elmo—all black.

Bugs Bunny
Tasmanian Devil
Tweety Bird
Goofy
Max
Spongebob (he's white passing)
Bob (from Reboot)
Elmo
Cookie Monster (West Indies)
Zaboomafoo
Arthur (half)
Brain (from Arthur)
Muffy (half)
Lola Bunny
Babar
Luigi (from Mario)
Jerry (Tom and Jerry)
Some Ninja Turtles (Michelangelo, maybe Raphael)
Scrappy Doo
Woody the Woodpecker
The Pink Panther
Optimus Prime

In case you're not convinced and think I'm crazy, I'm not even close to the only one who thinks this way. In fact, I don't know a single black person in my life who hasn't attributed race to non-human characters. The only time a black person I talked to about this didn't understand what I was saying were times when we would disagree on which characters are black (Foghorn Leghorn is a point of a major point of contention).

Earlier this year, Noisey published a piece stating A Goofy Movie was a black millennial classic. The piece argues that from an aesthetic point citing various indicators of the movie's blackness: "From the white female protagonist being a light skinned black girl named Roxanne, to the white boy named Bobby (voiced by Pauly Shore) getting in just as much trouble as Max, but somehow feeling way less worried about his parents finding out." It all makes so much sense.

It's also a much discussed topic online. On Twitter, Alyson, known as fillegrossiere, has tweeted extensively about the topic. After tweeting that Bugs Bunny was black, Alyson tells me, "Several men [tagged] me to let me know Bugs Bunny was a rabbit." Asking how she knew who was black (her characters, like many, include Skeeter from Doug, Goofy, and Max) she said, "I'm not sure. It just seems obvious to me who's black."

Annoyed with white people around me not getting it, I put out a feeler on Twitter to speak to more black people about their reasoning and thoughts. While it's well established these feelings are so common and widely held, I needed to know why. Thinking about my own reasoning, I'm certain the general lack of racial diversity in children's entertainment plays a huge role.

Within minutes, my inbox was flooded with others wanting to talk about black cartoons—by the end of the day I received over 40 direct messages and emails from black people around the world. Some with subject lines, "Arthur was 100% black" and "Babar was black."

Brooklyn-based comedian Jaboukie Young-White emailed me with the highly intriguing subject line "Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob) Piccolo (Dragonball Z) are Black." For Jaboukie, Piccolo's backstory was very black. "His homeland, Namek, was ravaged by colonizers, he always felt slightly out of place around his non-Namekian friends, single parent origin story. And he was always performing emotional labor for little reward." Many emails shared the same reasoning—characters they felt were black shared some similarities to traditionally black characteristics.

Lisa Nakamura, a professor at the University of Michigan and author whose work focuses on race and how it's portrayed online, believes there are plenty of reasons why white people aren't familiar with the concept of racializing cartoons.

"White people don't want to see race anywhere," Nakamura told me. "They're discouraged externally and internally from noticing it because they're afraid they're going to get in trouble or they're straight up racist." Not only that, but Nakamura explained white people (as any person of color can attest to) generally avoid conversations about race. "The risk of being shunned or seen as racist far outweighs the benefit of having [these] conversations," she added.

In a Tumblr post, New York City-based artist Jayson Musson argues that Panthro from ThunderCats is an unsung African American hero. As a child in the 80s, Musson explains to me that alongside Panthro, Papa Smurf, and ET (the alien) are also black.

"I don't care what anyone says," Musson says. For Papa Smurf, "He was just way more chill than the other smurfs, he's like their dad," he tells me. "I'm sure it has a lot to do with overtly black characters not being considered remotely marketable. In my childhood, it just wasn't on the table."

Another method of characterization most people I spoke to mentioned was that none of this was forced upon them—these characters weren't overtly coded as black. "It has to be embraced and not performed or shoved into the minds of kids," Musson tells me. "For me, it was something I had to understand myself."

Nakamura also believes a big part of finding these non-human characters black has to do with "finding yourself in places where you're not supposed to be." It's almost an act of resistance. We didn't see ourselves reflected in what we loved to watch as a child, so we created our own narratives despite being showed our representation didn't matter.

For the last week, I've been thinking about Bugs Bunny and other characters being black almost non-stop. And while on the surface it's an extremely funny and silly thing to think about—there's also a layer of sadness that goes beyond silliness. Like Nakamura mentioned, it comes down to literally not seeing ourselves reflected in what we loved.

I have nine nieces and nephews and most of them are at the age where they now have their own favorite television shows and characters they love. When I watch TV or Netflix with them, it's obvious things are slowly getting better when it comes to diversity. I see more children of color in movies and cartoons, though not as much as there should be. Still, as I become more aware of how affecting a lack of representation has been in my own childhood I make an effort to pick shows and movies that have overtly black or non-white characters. I want them to be able to see themselves on a screen.

Babysitting my niece one day recently, I wanted to put on a movie and scrolling through Netflix for kids was unbearable—there were about a dozen movies aimed at little girls starring blonde, white princesses. We put on Home, an animated film from DreamWorks about a girl named Gratuity "Tip" Tucci, who goes on the run after aliens invade Earth. Upon noticing the movie starred a young black girl, my niece was overjoyed.

"Wow!" she exclaimed, "She looks like me!"

Follow Sarah Hagi on Twitter.

We can all agree Panthro was black right?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
All Your Favorite Cartoon Characters Are Black
SH
SARAH HAGI
Apr 21 2017, 4:45pm

Bugs Bunny, black. Scrappy Doo, black. Elmo, definitely black.

An internet friend and I share a deep interest in a specific type of internet culture. Our correspondence is exclusively sending one another really bad illustrations of childhood cartoon characters in street wear and people in off-brand character suits dancing (this was all sparked by our mutual love of this Bugs Bunny meme). While searching for more memes, my friend sent me this screenshot.

I responded, "He's black, duh."

After thinking about it a bit more, I realized that, for many, this wasn't an inherent fact. Bugs Bunny is a rabbit, and while he is anthropomorphic, the suspension of disbelief only stretches so far for some people. It might not be a widely held understanding for white people, so immediately after talking to my friend about Bugs Bunny being black, I turned to my (admittedly, mostly white) colleagues and asked around.

"Do you think Bugs Bunny is black?" I asked, only for many to not really understand the question. "Is this a trick?" one suspicious white man asked. "No." I responded, "It's a very simple yes or no question."

After many conversations that involved white people trying very hard to not to say the wrong thing, someone finally asked how I knew—a question I couldn't really answer. I just knew. Once I explained my vague reasoning (he just is,) some understood but I left most of these interactions realizing it wasn't so simple.

There's no doubt in my mind Bugs Bunny is a black man. To me, it's as obvious as anything I've always known. The sky? Blue. Grass? Green. Bugs Bunny? Very black. It doesn't end with Bugs Bunny, either. While Bugs is arguably one of the most widely recognizable cartoon characters of all time, I've known in my heart that many other characters are black. The best way to describe it would be like a type of synesthesia but for race and cartoons. Soon, I began obsessively updating a memo on my phone of all the characters I felt were black. I now have a list of over 20 characters from my childhood that I'm still updating. Bob from Reboot, Brain from Arthur, the Pink Panther, Elmo—all black.

Bugs Bunny
Tasmanian Devil
Tweety Bird
Goofy
Max
Spongebob (he's white passing)
Bob (from Reboot)
Elmo
Cookie Monster (West Indies)
Zaboomafoo
Arthur (half)
Brain (from Arthur)
Muffy (half)
Lola Bunny
Babar
Luigi (from Mario)
Jerry (Tom and Jerry)
Some Ninja Turtles (Michelangelo, maybe Raphael)
Scrappy Doo
Woody the Woodpecker
The Pink Panther
Optimus Prime

In case you're not convinced and think I'm crazy, I'm not even close to the only one who thinks this way. In fact, I don't know a single black person in my life who hasn't attributed race to non-human characters. The only time a black person I talked to about this didn't understand what I was saying were times when we would disagree on which characters are black (Foghorn Leghorn is a point of a major point of contention).

Earlier this year, Noisey published a piece stating A Goofy Movie was a black millennial classic. The piece argues that from an aesthetic point citing various indicators of the movie's blackness: "From the white female protagonist being a light skinned black girl named Roxanne, to the white boy named Bobby (voiced by Pauly Shore) getting in just as much trouble as Max, but somehow feeling way less worried about his parents finding out." It all makes so much sense.

It's also a much discussed topic online. On Twitter, Alyson, known as fillegrossiere, has tweeted extensively about the topic. After tweeting that Bugs Bunny was black, Alyson tells me, "Several men [tagged] me to let me know Bugs Bunny was a rabbit." Asking how she knew who was black (her characters, like many, include Skeeter from Doug, Goofy, and Max) she said, "I'm not sure. It just seems obvious to me who's black."

Annoyed with white people around me not getting it, I put out a feeler on Twitter to speak to more black people about their reasoning and thoughts. While it's well established these feelings are so common and widely held, I needed to know why. Thinking about my own reasoning, I'm certain the general lack of racial diversity in children's entertainment plays a huge role.

Within minutes, my inbox was flooded with others wanting to talk about black cartoons—by the end of the day I received over 40 direct messages and emails from black people around the world. Some with subject lines, "Arthur was 100% black" and "Babar was black."

Brooklyn-based comedian Jaboukie Young-White emailed me with the highly intriguing subject line "Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob) Piccolo (Dragonball Z) are Black." For Jaboukie, Piccolo's backstory was very black. "His homeland, Namek, was ravaged by colonizers, he always felt slightly out of place around his non-Namekian friends, single parent origin story. And he was always performing emotional labor for little reward." Many emails shared the same reasoning—characters they felt were black shared some similarities to traditionally black characteristics.

Lisa Nakamura, a professor at the University of Michigan and author whose work focuses on race and how it's portrayed online, believes there are plenty of reasons why white people aren't familiar with the concept of racializing cartoons.

"White people don't want to see race anywhere," Nakamura told me. "They're discouraged externally and internally from noticing it because they're afraid they're going to get in trouble or they're straight up racist." Not only that, but Nakamura explained white people (as any person of color can attest to) generally avoid conversations about race. "The risk of being shunned or seen as racist far outweighs the benefit of having [these] conversations," she added.

In a Tumblr post, New York City-based artist Jayson Musson argues that Panthro from ThunderCats is an unsung African American hero. As a child in the 80s, Musson explains to me that alongside Panthro, Papa Smurf, and ET (the alien) are also black.

"I don't care what anyone says," Musson says. For Papa Smurf, "He was just way more chill than the other smurfs, he's like their dad," he tells me. "I'm sure it has a lot to do with overtly black characters not being considered remotely marketable. In my childhood, it just wasn't on the table."

Another method of characterization most people I spoke to mentioned was that none of this was forced upon them—these characters weren't overtly coded as black. "It has to be embraced and not performed or shoved into the minds of kids," Musson tells me. "For me, it was something I had to understand myself."

Nakamura also believes a big part of finding these non-human characters black has to do with "finding yourself in places where you're not supposed to be." It's almost an act of resistance. We didn't see ourselves reflected in what we loved to watch as a child, so we created our own narratives despite being showed our representation didn't matter.

For the last week, I've been thinking about Bugs Bunny and other characters being black almost non-stop. And while on the surface it's an extremely funny and silly thing to think about—there's also a layer of sadness that goes beyond silliness. Like Nakamura mentioned, it comes down to literally not seeing ourselves reflected in what we loved.

I have nine nieces and nephews and most of them are at the age where they now have their own favorite television shows and characters they love. When I watch TV or Netflix with them, it's obvious things are slowly getting better when it comes to diversity. I see more children of color in movies and cartoons, though not as much as there should be. Still, as I become more aware of how affecting a lack of representation has been in my own childhood I make an effort to pick shows and movies that have overtly black or non-white characters. I want them to be able to see themselves on a screen.

Babysitting my niece one day recently, I wanted to put on a movie and scrolling through Netflix for kids was unbearable—there were about a dozen movies aimed at little girls starring blonde, white princesses. We put on Home, an animated film from DreamWorks about a girl named Gratuity "Tip" Tucci, who goes on the run after aliens invade Earth. Upon noticing the movie starred a young black girl, my niece was overjoyed.

"Wow!" she exclaimed, "She looks like me!"

Follow Sarah Hagi on Twitter.

We can all agree Panthro was black right?
Yes, but I remember Bugs Bunny doing blackface in some cartoons so I can't say I agree with that one.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yes, but I remember Bugs Bunny doing blackface in some cartoons so I can't say I agree with that one.
Yeah that is not the way I saw him either.

Would be interested to know if you did any of this as a latino.

I always thought Cheetara was hispanic.:unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Um, I never picture race when I look at animals. I'm not sure why anyone would find that weird.

Well except Speedy Gonzales, he was clearly Mexican. Mostly because of the stereotypes.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Not really. I guess the stereotypes like Speedy Gonzalez, but never thought about race in cartoons.

Jiggyfly

Banned

They talk about why in the article and the reason why you probably would not.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Panthro is tricky, I guess because the image is of a "black" panther, but other than that I can't think of any other cartoon that isn't a stereotype where I would think in terms of race.

vince

Not So New Member
http://www.newsweek.com/western-kentucky-free-tuition-black-students-587677

By Julia Glum On 4/21/17 at 1:54 PM

Students at Western Kentucky University voted this week to give their black peers free tuition as a way to make amends for slavery, but administrators say it's not going to happen.

President Gary Ransdell issued a statement Thursday after the student government passed its "Resolution to Support Reparations" laying out the reasons black students should receive a free education at the Bowling Green school.

"We appreciate the Student Government Association’s interest in these issues, but it’s important to clarify that their resolution is not an official position taken by the university," Ransdell wrote. "I have read the SGA resolution, and I understand that their intent was to spark a conversation, but the university will not adopt any such policy."

The two-page resolution, which got the go-ahead from student leaders on Tuesday, lists its purpose as to acknowledge "that there is a debt that will never be paid." It references an achievement gap between minority and majority students, alluding not only to slavery but also the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision and the fact that "standardized tests perpetuate and uphold white supremacy."

To that end, it asks for the university to create a task force to explore implementing test-optional and geographically weighted admissions policies.

"We demand reparations for the systemic denial of access to high-quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all black people (including undocumented, currently and formerly incarcerated people) to Western Kentucky University," it adds.

Though Jay Todd Richey, the president of the student government, told the Bowling Green Daily News he knew the free tuition proposal wasn't likely to come to fruition, he said he wanted the resolution to promote more equitable higher education. Nineteen students voted in favor, 10 voted in opposition and one didn't vote at all.

Western Kentucky isn't the first school to come up with such a plan.

In February, a group of University of Wisconsin-Madison students requested a similar task force as well as free tuition and housing for black students, a $20,000 value, according to the Associated Press.

"The university's rhetoric suggests that it is committed to diversity and inclusion, so this legislation compels the university to move towards action—which is imperative," the author of the Wisconsin-Madison resolution, Tyriek Mack, said in a news release at the time. "If no one challenges the university's empty promises, then the racial composition will remain stagnant."

About 15 percent of American college students are black, compared to 58 percent who are white, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. The gap in scores on tests like the SAT is also real: In 2015, the mean math score for white students was 534. For black students, it was 428.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Then there's Pepe LePue. French ethnicity? No just a silly nationalist.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Um, I never picture race when I look at animals. I'm not sure why anyone would find that weird.

Well except Speedy Gonzales, he was clearly Mexican. Mostly because of the stereotypes.
Well, when you constantly see race in everything you come up with this stupid shit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
http://www.newsweek.com/western-kentucky-free-tuition-black-students-587677

By Julia Glum On 4/21/17 at 1:54 PM

Students at Western Kentucky University voted this week to give their black peers free tuition as a way to make amends for slavery, but administrators say it's not going to happen.

President Gary Ransdell issued a statement Thursday after the student government passed its "Resolution to Support Reparations" laying out the reasons black students should receive a free education at the Bowling Green school.

"We appreciate the Student Government Association’s interest in these issues, but it’s important to clarify that their resolution is not an official position taken by the university," Ransdell wrote. "I have read the SGA resolution, and I understand that their intent was to spark a conversation, but the university will not adopt any such policy."

The two-page resolution, which got the go-ahead from student leaders on Tuesday, lists its purpose as to acknowledge "that there is a debt that will never be paid." It references an achievement gap between minority and majority students, alluding not only to slavery but also the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision and the fact that "standardized tests perpetuate and uphold white supremacy."

To that end, it asks for the university to create a task force to explore implementing test-optional and geographically weighted admissions policies.

"We demand reparations for the systemic denial of access to high-quality educational opportunities in the form of full and free access for all black people (including undocumented, currently and formerly incarcerated people) to Western Kentucky University," it adds.

Though Jay Todd Richey, the president of the student government, told the Bowling Green Daily News he knew the free tuition proposal wasn't likely to come to fruition, he said he wanted the resolution to promote more equitable higher education. Nineteen students voted in favor, 10 voted in opposition and one didn't vote at all.

Western Kentucky isn't the first school to come up with such a plan.

In February, a group of University of Wisconsin-Madison students requested a similar task force as well as free tuition and housing for black students, a $20,000 value, according to the Associated Press.

"The university's rhetoric suggests that it is committed to diversity and inclusion, so this legislation compels the university to move towards action—which is imperative," the author of the Wisconsin-Madison resolution, Tyriek Mack, said in a news release at the time. "If no one challenges the university's empty promises, then the racial composition will remain stagnant."

About 15 percent of American college students are black, compared to 58 percent who are white, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. The gap in scores on tests like the SAT is also real: In 2015, the mean math score for white students was 534. For black students, it was 428.
"Equal rights"

Top Bottom