If Tony wanted one last shot.....

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I will say this, he is an extremely intelligent football mind. I know he wouldn't want to do it but I'd love to see a guy like that coaching the Cowboys. He would make a perfect QB coach and probably future head coach.
Agree with all of that. Except he's probably bright enough and perceptive enough to know that coaching under Jerry is a one-way ticket to the coaching graveyard.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Agree with all of that. Except he's probably bright enough and perceptive enough to know that coaching under Jerry is a one-way ticket to the coaching graveyard.
Tony could, if he wanted, use an opportunity like that to spin more gold for himself if he wanted to go into coaching. What better entre' to the profession than with the Cowboys? Then he could exit on his own terms if he couldnt hang. Jerry would do it in a heartbeat.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
You may view Romo in that manner but my eyes and minds sees what I consider to be the best performing QB to play for the Dallas Cowboys. He holds virtually every passing record for this franchise.
He may hold every passing record, but he never won anything. To say he's the "best-performing QB best performing QB to play for the Dallas Cowboys" is ludicrous in the context of Aikman and Staubach.

You could say he is the the "best performing QB to play for the Dallas Cowboys who had the misfortune of playing in the middle and latter stages of Jerry Jones' appalling mismanagement of the team" -- but that's about as far as it goes.

Under the circumstances, he played heroically. But there are still too many instances of him coming up short and making disastrous decisions at the worst possible times.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We all know the criteria for QB greatness in Dallas begin with Staubach and Aikman, and the hardware those gents brought the franchise.

p1_

DCC 4Life
In the realm of second tier, there’s Romo, White , Morton and Meredith.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You are mixing team performances with individual performances
Aikman was with a team that accomplished a lot even though his individual performances were average. Check his stats. The team made him look heroic but when he didn’t have a super team around him he struggled. Staubach never struggled the way that Aikmen did but he was one of team members that accomplished a lot.

Romeo accomplished his statistical performances without the benefit of a great team around him.
He may hold every passing record, but he never won anything. To say he's the "best-performing QB best performing QB to play for the Dallas Cowboys" is ludicrous in the context of Aikman and Staubach.

You could say he is the the "best performing QB to play for the Dallas Cowboys who had the misfortune of playing in the middle and latter stages of Jerry Jones' appalling mismanagement of the team" -- but that's about as far as it goes.

Under the circumstances, he played heroically. But there are still too many instances of him coming up short and making disastrous decisions at the worst possible times.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We all know the criteria for QB greatness in Dallas begin with Staubach and Aikman, and the hardware those gents brought the franchise.

The trophy’s belong to the team. That isn’t a criteria for an individual performance.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Romeo accomplished his statistical performances without the benefit of a great team around him.
Everyone accomplishes great things statistically now. Since the 2004 Pats/Colts game, the league has steadily made it easier and easier to play QB. Just look at how through the first quarter of this year, four QBs were on pace to set the all-time yardage record.

So you can't compare stats between the two eras like that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Everyone accomplishes great things statistically now. Since the 2004 Pats/Colts game, the league has steadily made it easier and easier to play QB. Just look at how through the first quarter of this year, four QBs were on pace to set the all-time yardage record.

Then what criteria would you use to rate ones performance?

p1_

DCC 4Life
The trophy’s belong to the team. That isn’t a criteria for an individual performance.
It’s the performance of the individual that is of a magnitude that it lifts the team up to heights otherwise unattainable. You know, like those heights Romo could not lift his team to.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It’s the performance of the individual that is of a magnitude that it lifts the team up to heights otherwise unattainable. You know, like those heights Romo could not lift his team to.
Do you honestly think that Aikman was so good that he would have carried the team without Irvin, Smith the OL and Deion with the others on defense. Maybe you have forgotten how he performed when those individuals were gone from the team and he was still trying to play.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Except there's a statistical modifier called '+' that measures a player's stats against players from the same season, and Romo is near the top in all of them compared to QBs from the same era.

Romo's stats compare very favorably to QBs from the same era. His stats weren't just good because of the era. Romo was really fucking good.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Except there's a statistical modifier called '+' that measures a player's stats against players from the same season, and Romo is near the top in all of them compared to QBs from the same era.

Romo's stats compare very favorably to QBs from the same era. His stats weren't just good because of the era. Romo was really fucking good.
Oh I know. I've never been a Romo basher, thought he was a choker, or any of that. Always said we were incredibly lucky to have him.

My stance in this debate is more elevating Aikman. For some reason a lot of people think he was just a spare bus driver who got carried by a good team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Oh I know. I've never been a Romo basher, thought he was a choker, or any of that. Always said we were incredibly lucky to have him.

My stance in this debate is more elevating Aikman. For some reason a lot of people think he was just a spare bus driver who got carried by a good team.
If you are referencing my posts I never said Aikman was anything but a good quarterback with a good team and his success is in large part due to the overall system with the organization. However when it comes to evaluating him individually his performance was dependent on the rest of the team to have the success he had. You take tat away from and he couldn’t carry the team or have the performance stats tha Romo has with lesser quality team mates. You term of him being depicted as a spare bus driver didn’t come from me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Oh, I agree then. Aikman's + stats are pretty good also. He gets unfairly shit on for not being a high volume passer but that was our offense and that era. Aikman's efficiency stats are very good. He could sling it when he had to, but he usually didn't have to.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No doubt. Anybody that even hints at that earns a permanent chair at the retard table.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Sigh....I guess when you haven't won shit in 20+ years you get more and more threads like this one.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Exactly.

Top Bottom