If Tony wanted one last shot.....

p1_

DCC 4Life
Wherein the truth lies....

Troy Aikman

Career postseason record: 11-5

Career postseason statistics: 320-502, 3849 yards, 23 TD, 17 INT; 88.3 passer rating

Aikman is another quarterback who probably wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame if it weren't for the postseason. It was in January when Aikman truly shined.

He led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl victories in a four-year span in the 1990's, including a 52-17 stomping of the Buffalo Bills in 1992. He threw for 273 yards and four touchdown passes in this game, earning MVP honors. He posted a triple-digit passer rating in nine of his 16 postseason games, all victories.

Aikman lost his first and his final three postseason games. In between, he led the Cowboys to victories in 10 of 11 games.
Aikman's Cowboys have been so dominant in the postseason that all 11 victories have come by 10 or more points. Their five losses have all come by nine or more points, meaning Aikman has never really been involved in an exciting win or heartbreaking loss. He's just been consistent in almost every game.

The only knock against Aikman?

He hasn't faced many great defenses. The 1995 AFC champion Steelers allowed 325 points. The 1999 Vikings allowed 335 points. The 1995 Eagles allowed 338 points. The 1998 Cardinals allowed 378 points.

The bottom line, however, is that in the three biggest games of his life, Aikman led the Cowboys to victory all three times, with the average win coming by 21 points.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So yeah, Id even ask Troy to come back at this point.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
If Tony had been the QB of those teams, I wonder how many championships we would have won. At least one, I reckon.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If Tony had been the QB of those teams, I wonder how many championships we would have won. At least one, I reckon.
If his 2014 version had a defense like any of the mid 90s teams, he would probably have at least one.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Aikman played on what was quite possibly the greatest team ever assembled. He was a big reason why they were one of the very best teams ever.

That being said, I look at him and imagine him playing on the teams that Romo played on and ask myself would he be as successful? I highly doubt it.

Troy was a valuable cog in what was a damn near perfect machine. He played behind the best o-line ever. He handed the ball to a back who wouldn’t eventually be the all time leading rusher. He threw to a future hall of fame WR for most of his career. He even had the #1 defense when he won his championships. No quarterback in the history of the NFL could ask to be set up any better than Troy Aikman.

I’m not stating this to take away from what he did. When he was on, I don’t think there was ever a more accurate passer. But could Tony Romo win with Troy’s teams and more importantly, his coaching? There’s no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

So yeah I’m leaning more towards LT’s position that Romo was a better QB than Aikman. It doesn’t mean that I’m taking away from his legacy. I’m just going by what I’ve seen from both QBs.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Romo had his talented rosters, to be sure. 2007 is the perfect example. That team simply didn't deliver. And ultimately, neither did Tony.

Top Bottom