Hats off to Cooper

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Harper used his talent day one but sucked at running routes or doing anything requiring mental toughness. Kevin Williams took his spot

Gallup is kind of the opposite.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'd still try to squeeze a contract extension out of Gallup. You don't let the strengths of your team walk away and having three WRs of that caliber is gold.
I agree, and he clearly had better chemistry with Dak. Would be awesome if we could get him signed at a discount due to this down year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Harper used his talent day one but sucked at running routes or doing anything requiring mental toughness. Kevin Williams took his spot

Gallup is kind of the opposite.
What pd said, plus, Harper seemed to always make the acrobatic near impossible catches and drop the one that hit him in the chest. Seems that way with Gallup, too,

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Harper left for big bucks with the Bucs. Kevin Williams didn’t beat out Harper.
He was already beating him on the field. John Madden and other announcers called this out several times. Harper was a gamer who relied on his 1st round talent to carry him.

He lacked the discipline to be a true pro.

Jimmy recognized this and Harper was being used as trade bait. The Rams offered a high pick in 1994 for him-- Jerry refused I think. Might have even been a top ten pick. I think the 49ers ended up traded for that top ten pick from the Rams and used it to take Bryant Young.

Would have been nice

data

Forbes #1
He was already beating him on the field. John Madden and other announcers called this out several times. Harper was a gamer who relied on his 1st round talent to carry him.

He lacked the discipline to be a true pro.

Jimmy recognized this and Harper was being used as trade bait. The Rams offered a high pick in 1994 for him-- Jerry refused I think. Might have even been a top ten pick. I think the 49ers ended up traded for that top ten pick from the Rams and used it to take Bryant Young.

Would have been nice
I mean this genuinely, not as an argument, but can you provide links for these claims and statements?

Kevin Williams caught 13 and 20 passes in the two years before starting. You’re saying in 1993 and 1994, Madden and Co. on this small sample was already, multiple times, making those comments?

Then, Jimmuh realized he had something better in Kevin Williams but refused to trade Alvin Harper for a first rounder?

Doesn’t add up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What pd said, plus, Harper seemed to always make the acrobatic near impossible catches and drop the one that hit him in the chest. Seems that way with Gallup, too,
Gallup has far more possibility of impact. Judging by what was seen of Harper when he went to Tampa, the guy really was not a consistent player. Gallup drops passes, but he is a lot more reliable.

That is the difference with Cooper and Irvin. Irvin would choke a bitch if he didn't get fed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean this genuinely, not as an argument, but can you provide links for these claims and statements?
Here is a start.

The Rams ended up trading down with the Colts trading up for Trev Alberts.

Dilfer went one pick after the Rams. Just goes to show you.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
After the Rams game, despite the PI call, I was beyond impressed watching Gallup work against Ramsey. I do believe he has number one potential. It sucks, but sometimes the great ones struggle with drops. T.O. comes to mind in that regard.

As far as Cooper is concerned, it seems like some people hold it against him that he isn’t Jerry Rice or something. He’s a terrific WR, and more than that, the guy is still the same player even after getting paid. That shat should be at a premium around here.

data

Forbes #1
Here is a start.

The Rams ended up trading down with the Colts trading up for Trev Alberts.

Dilfer went one pick after the Rams. Just goes to show you.
Props on finding the article. Interesting to go back and genuflect

Sounds incredulous that Alvin Harper stopped a trade with us moving up 11 spots to #5

Especially when the almighty Kevin Williams was just about ready from putting Harper on the bench

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Props on finding the article. Interesting to go back and genuflect

Sounds incredulous that Alvin Harper stopped a trade with us moving up 11 spots to #5?

Especially when the almighty Kevin Williams was just about ready from putting Harper on the bench
I don't think Williams was ever threatening him.

The fact that Harper could demand anything is also funny as hell looking back at it.

We talk about cap hell, in those days it was for real.

Money seemed more real because the TV revenue was not the same.

Players had a little more leverage.

And you gotta think, back in the 1990s...it was a little more competitive.

People were crooked as shit and the younger owners had to try to outclass the old guard.

data

Forbes #1
I don't think Williams was ever threatening him.
My assessment as well.

With the 1994 draft passed, Harper went on to avg 24.9 YPC with 821 yards. In an Aikman-led offense, that’s significant.

If Kevin Williams was truly showing signs of a takeover, his 13 catches for 181 catches don’t show it.

Signs point to Alvin Harper going for greener pastures as the Cowboys couldn’t afford his price for a #2. Kevin Williams was next man up, not The Man coming up.

p1_

DCC 4Life
KW was a different type of receiver from Harper. Smaller and much faster; also worked on return teams

data

Forbes #1
KW was a different type of receiver from Harper. Smaller and much faster; also worked on return teams
I remember him being a non-factor all season until the last regular season game on Christmas

He did have a cool TD pose during the Leon Lett TDay game. I recall cutting that picture out of magazine and hanging it in my wall.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And he was never ever considered to be a top shelf WR.

I firmly believe they drafted him to give the illusion we were still tapping into that UM pipeline after Johnson was gone.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I remember him being a non-factor all season until the last regular season game on Christmas

He did have a cool TD pose during the Leon Lett TDay game. I recall cutting that picture out of magazine and hanging it in my wall.
Yeah he slid in the sleet after a punt return TD.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
he fucked up that punt vs the Giants in '93. made the game closer than it should've been.

Top Bottom