Great Comedians Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Watch this special.

He is trying single-handedly to break us out of this very black (no offense intended) period in comedy.
Yep, he doesn't give a fuck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am very very critical on comics.

You people really need to watch this special.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Maybe I'm weird or it's just not my style of comedy but I don't think Chapelle is that great. His jokes per minute is not high. Even the trans joke posted above, the punchline was funny but it took 5 years to get there and there were no jokes in the meantime.

Genghis Khan

Watch this special.

He is trying single-handedly to break us out of this very black (no offense intended) period in comedy.

Comedy is actually in a golden age right now. I don't think stand up has ever been more popular.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe I'm weird or it's just not my style of comedy but I don't think Chapelle is that great. His jokes per minute is not high. Even the trans joke posted above, the punchline was funny but it took 5 years to get there and there were no jokes in the meantime.
Comedy is actually in a golden age right now. I don't think stand up has ever been more popular.
Sorry, brother, but I don't agree with either one of these statements.

Genghis Khan

Sorry, brother, but I don't agree with either one of these statements.

The second one is objectively true. There's never been more comics doing arenas or theaters. There's never been as many specials as there are now. Many comics talk about it. It's the most popular time ever for standup. What's popular now might not be your thing (outside of the Chapelle type of stuff), but it's undeniably popular.

Cotton

Staff member
The second one is objectively true. There's never been more comics doing arenas or theaters. There's never been as many specials as there are now. Many comics talk about it. It's the most popular time ever for standup. What's popular now might not be your thing (outside of the Chapelle type of stuff), but it's undeniably popular.
But, when you say golden age it sounds like this is the best comedy ever. Comedians have been cancelled so often they can't truly be funny like they used to be. Chapelle is about the only one that says, fuck you I'll say what I want.

Genghis Khan

Chapelle is about the only one that says, fuck you I'll say what I want.

That's certainly not true.

Burr, Segura, Gillis, Normand, C K, Morrill, Daniels, Hinchcliffe, Shaffir, just off the top of my head, all pretty much say whatever they want.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's certainly not true.

Burr, Segura, Gillis, Normand, C K, Morrill, Daniels, Hinchcliffe, Shaffir, just off the top of my head, all pretty much say whatever they want.
I know of two on that list. Burr is a little more toned down and if you are talking about Louis C.K. he got cancelled.

Genghis Khan

I know of two on that list. Burr is a little more toned down and if you are talking about Louis C.K. he got cancelled.
"Cancelled", but meanwhile just did a huge tour and special.

Also, he wasn't cancelled for anything he said, he was cancelled for sexual behavior which is a completely different thing than having to watch what you say.

Also if you only know two people on that list ..frankly you probably don't know enough about comedy to meaningfully criticize the current state of comedy because they are among the most popular (outside of Daniels and maybe Shaffir) acts in comedy right now and most of them are doing theater or arena tours.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"Cancelled", but meanwhile just did a huge tour and special.

Also, he wasn't cancelled for anything he said, he was cancelled for sexual behavior which is a completely different thing than having to watch what you say.

Also if you only know two people on that list ..frankly you probably don't know enough about comedy to meaningfully criticize the current state of comedy because they are among the most popular (outside of Daniels and maybe Shaffir) acts in comedy right now and most of them are doing theater or arena tours.
The fact he had a huge tour is not relevant. To the mainstream person, he is still a dick waggler.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I watched the special last night. A little too much Rock/Smith for my liking.

Cotton

Staff member
Just finished it, I thought it was damn good. The opening joke was fucking hilarious.

Top Bottom