Great Comedians Thread

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Richard Pryor Live in Concert, filmed in LA release early 1979

Just genius.

No one instinctively uses body language and facial expressions to communicate like that. Amazing. Even his impression of a nervous dog that lasts maybe ten seconds is just pure gold.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I am watching You Are All Diseased right now.

Here is a great quote. Real, not some meme some fuckhead put on Facebook that you now believe is true.

"I don't think white people should be trying to dance like blacks. STOP THAT! Stick to your faggoty polkas and waltzes!

And that repulsive country line dancing shit that you do and be yourself, be proud, be white, be lame and get the fuck off the dance floor!"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ah fuck. His shit is so great and relevant even from back then.

"I don't think white women should be calling each other "girlfriend". STOP. PRETENDING. TO BE BLACK.

No matter what color you are 'you go girl' should probably go."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Another thing he mentions..."snapper" as slang for a pussy.

That one should never have died off and it needs to be brought back.

Pussy is not nearly as great as people think it is. I dunno about you people, I have had bad pussy. Some damn good and insane and others where well, you just know that things are not gonna work out.

But when you get the one that snaps, and you know what I am talking about, you know.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

"I don't think white women should be calling each other "girlfriend". STOP. PRETENDING. TO BE BLACK.

Maher's not a comedian per se, but he's got Carlin's "piss off both sides" vibe.

Sheik

DCC 4Life

He saw what was coming. He tried to warn us, and sadly he’d be cancelled if he was still doing his thing today.

Tell me Carlin would be tight rope walking the unwritten rules of compelled speech that comedians are navigating today.

I can’t see him doing that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He saw what was coming. He tried to warn us, and sadly he’d be cancelled if he was still doing his thing today.

Tell me Carlin would be tight rope walking the unwritten rules of compelled speech that comedians are navigating today.

I can’t see him doing that.
I would like to see a lot of dead comedians over time to show up and laugh at our joke of a society.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I can’t believe you assholes are not watching the Carlin specials. Oh is Apatow too woke? Fuck him, bring me more George.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I can’t believe you assholes are not watching the Carlin specials. Oh is Apatow too woke? Fuck him, bring me more George.
I'll prob watch them but currently rewatching Peaky Blinders

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I guess this explains Netflix coming out last week and making that statement about their content.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I assume he was speaking about Dice Clay?

It’s refreshing to see someone who disagrees with content, yet he does it with the caveat that the person has every right to do that material.

Just about the only redeeming thing Carlin said there was that Dice has the right to say what he wants.

The stuff about certain groups should be off limits and that comedy traditionally punches up, I couldn't disagree more.

It's pretty much the woke mantra regarding comedy that groups that aren't mainstream or are seen as marginalized or oppressed should be off limits. I think that's ass backwards.

It's important that comedy and criticism in general has the opportunity and absolute right to punch up. But it should also have the absolute right to punch in any direction, and contrary to what Carlin says here it always has.

Saying certain groups should be off limits is absurd to me.

What's that old mantra? You can tell who rules you by who you aren't allowed to criticize? Saying certain groups are off limits is setting the parameters for who rules you.

Not only that, it doesn't engender sympathy for those groups, but rather resentment for getting special treatment. It has the exact opposite of the desired effect.

Lastly, if you don't have the ability to laugh at yourself or your own self-identified group, but don't have a problem laughing at others, ultimately not only is that a character flaw that reveals that you think you are better than other people, it means you take yourself too seriously.

And by the way, a huge chunk of who he jokes about from what I've heard of him is women. So we're just eliminating half the population from jokes and criticism then?

And I'm not a Dice fan really. But whether it's actually funny or not, I don't think he's doing anything wrong by making fun of gays or women or whomever. There's no one individually or in groups, in the history of the planet, who isn't at least a little bit absurd or above having it pointed out.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
Just about the only redeeming thing Carlin said there was that Dice has the right to say what he wants.

The stuff about certain groups should be off limits and that comedy traditionally punches up, I couldn't disagree more.

It's pretty much the woke mantra regarding comedy that groups that aren't mainstream or are seen as marginalized or oppressed should be off limits. I think that's ass backwards.

It's important that comedy and criticism in general has the opportunity and absolute right to punch up. But it should also have the absolute right to punch in any direction, and contrary to what Carlin says here it always has.

Saying certain groups should be off limits is absurd to me.

What's that old mantra? You can tell who rules you by who you aren't allowed to criticize? Saying certain groups are off limits is setting the parameters for who rules you.

Not only that, it doesn't engender sympathy for those groups, but rather resentment for getting special treatment. It has the exact opposite of the desired effect.

Lastly, if you don't have the ability to laugh at yourself or your own self-identified group, but don't have a problem laughing at others, ultimately not only is that a character flaw that reveals that you think you are better than other people, it means you take yourself too seriously.

And by the way, a huge chunk of who he jokes about from what I've heard of him is women. So we're just eliminating half the population from jokes and criticism then?

And I'm not a Dice fan really. But whether it's actually funny or not, I don't think he's doing anything wrong by making fun of gays or women or whomever. There's no one individually or in groups, in the history of the planet, who isn't at least a little bit absurd or above having it pointed out.
I didn’t consider his comments after, and Carlin has a lot of nerve, I’m fairly certain I’ve heard material from him making fun of fags.

Good points all around.

Top Bottom