Goof Son Speaks

townsend

Banned
He's definitely a winner.

Just evaluate his performances with an even keel. BlueStar said that Dak was conservative and that's what Dallas needs. One or two keep 'em honest shots and we're good.

I disagree that we need to be always conservative.

I look for Dak to open it up more as he matures.

I doubt the quality of the offensive team around him will improve from what he had in 2016 (how could it?), so we are going to need improvements from both him and the defense.
Dak isn't conservative he doesn't take as many risks as Romo, but especially in the 2nd half of the season, he routinely punished teams deep. No statistics, no eyeball test, paints Dak as a conservative QB outside of his very first game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak isn't conservative he doesn't take as many risks as Romo, but especially in the 2nd half of the season, he routinely punished teams deep. No statistics, no eyeball test, paints Dak as a conservative QB outside of his very first game.
Stats aren't built to capture "Dakking". Take the statistical home run 32/36 day he had against the Bucs. We needed to push that ball downfield to break that game open. Instead we stuck with the normal 10-15 and occasional 20 yard passes and we came within a hair of losing. Zeke's huge day saved us really.

"Conservative" is an impression a lot of people have, townsend. He's better than most, but then again he's got a better supporting cast than most. He's rarely pressured, even when he's blitzed.

He has moments of brilliance and a consistency I think we can build on. But sooner or later the superstar supporting cast will ebb around him and we'll need him to make a lot more big plays.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He's definitely a winner.

Just evaluate his performances with an even keel. BlueStar said that Dak was conservative and that's what Dallas needs. One or two keep 'em honest shots and we're good.

I disagree that we need to be always conservative.

I look for Dak to open it up more as he matures.

I doubt the quality of the offensive team around him will improve from what he had in 2016 (how could it?), so we are going to need improvements from both him and the defense.
Really?

Dez have an injury free year.

Better play from a younger TE, who also blocks better.

Add a more dynamic gadget guy that Lucky and Dunbar.

More speed overall from the receiving core.

I think any of those things can happen fairly easy and would definitely make this offense better.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Really?

Dez have an injury free year.

Better play from a younger TE, who also blocks better.

Add a more dynamic gadget guy that Lucky and Dunbar.

More speed overall from the receiving core.

I think any of those things can happen fairly easy and would definitely make this offense better.
Elliott is going to get better too, he should peak between years 3-6 or 7 I'd say.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think Dak absolutely is conservative. I am not sure why you regard that as a negative that needs to be refuted and defended though.

Hell, I'd argue that Brady is conservative. That doesn't mean that they don't go downfield or take chances, but they favor smart, safe plays over aggressive, risky plays.

townsend

Banned
I think Dak absolutely is conservative. I am not sure why you regard that as a negative that needs to be refuted and defended though.

Hell, I'd argue that Brady is conservative. That doesn't mean that they don't go downfield or take chances, but they favor smart, safe plays over aggressive, risky plays.
Dak had 83 long passes, 6th overall. More than Cousins.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dak had 83 long passes, 6th overall. More than Cousins.
It's not about long passes, but rather decision making.

For instance, the pick he threw against GB in the playoffs was not a long pass, but it was risky.

townsend

Banned
It's not about long passes, but rather decision making.

For instance, the pick he threw against GB in the playoffs was not a long pass, but it was risky.
Was it? Seems to me like a simple dump off they've done a million times, it was just so overused that the db knew what was happening and jumped in. Was there even a 2nd read?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Was it? Seems to me like a simple dump off they've done a million times, it was just so overused that the db knew what was happening and jumped in. Was there even a 2nd read?
That's how I saw it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I believe it was a run play with a built in hot read given a certain coverage.

It wasn't a risky pass per se, but as townsend noted, the DB knew it was coming because it was overused.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I believe it was a run play with a built in hot read given a certain coverage.

It wasn't a risky pass per se, but as townsend noted, the DB knew it was coming because it was overused.
It's just another example of us running those types of run-pass option plays when we shouldn't do it.

Elliott gets 9 on first down and it's 2nd and 1, and they couldnt stop the run just run all game. Just run the damn ball.

Even when our running game is going well this coaching staff just has a hard time just sticking to it.

data

Forbes #1
Stats aren't built to capture "Dakking". Take the statistical home run 32/36 day he had against the Bucs. We needed to push that ball downfield to break that game open. Instead we stuck with the normal 10-15 and occasional 20 yard passes and we came within a hair of losing. Zeke's huge day saved us.
Seriously. Should've benched Dak for almost causing us to lose that game with first down after first down after first down. The audacity.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Conservative probably wasn't the best description for Dak. It evokes a bit too much Brad Johnson. Dak's a lot more than that without a doubt. I was speaking more in comparison to Romo. In that light he's not nearly as aggressive and with our offense being predicated (when it works) on a ball control running game he doesn't need to be. He makes big plays but he understands everything isn't on his shoulders and he doesn't have to take unnecessary risks.

It doesn't really matter if he never develops into an elite QB. We can win with what he gives us. We kept up with some pretty potent offenses this season with Dak leading the way. With a better defense we're as good as any team in the NFL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
To be fair though you also preached that he was going to hit a rookie wall basically his entire rookie season which he never did. It doesn't usually take teams a full offseason to find a guys weakness. After 4 or 5 games as a starter they usually figure it out.

But we also don't know how much Dak will progress. Not for lack of work ethic or anything like that. It's just that some players have higher ceilings then others. It's just good to know he is already at such a high level.
I don't recall saying he WOULD... I said it was more likely he would given rookie history in general.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Where I'll hedge with Dak is that I don't expect him to have such a low INT # again. I could see him having a 2007 Romo kind of year where he takes more risks and makes a few more mistakes. I think it's fair to say that Dak is further along today than Romo was a decade ago though.
I'm not sure I would agree with that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure I would agree with that.
He is further along than Romo was his rookie year. I'm not sure there is much debating that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh that? Yes. I am not sure I'd agree he is ahead of where 2007 Romo was.
Not, that is something that is debatable in my mind. I'd have to say they would be pretty close.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I was listening to the Cowboy's draft show. Broaddas bought up the idea of trading Romo to the Bronco's to switch places in the first round. From 28 to 20 would usually cost a 3rd rounder. The Broncos wouldn't lose a draft choice and the Cowboys save a 3rd. Would you do it?
I think the situation of using Romo to move up in the draft is probably the best they can hope for.

Top Bottom