Goof Son Speaks

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Dak of 2016 and Smith of 2015-2016. Yeah. Don't worry, Dak has time to grow.

What I can't stand is this seeming belief that Dak would be anything close to what he was in 2016 driving a Ferrari of an offense by comparison if he were dropped onto any other team in the league.

Throw Dak onto the Chiefs and he's going to have nothing close to his 2016 stats or success.
WGAS what Dak would do on any other team? He executes what we do at a high level and that's all that matters. No, he's not Aaron Rogers or Andrew Luck and probably doesn't have the ceiling to ever get there. But he fits what we're doing just fine and isn't going to have a broken back or shattered collar bone if the wind blows the wrong way.

townsend

Banned
WGAS what Dak would do on any other team? He executes what we do at a high level and that's all that matters. No, he's not Aaron Rogers or Andrew Luck and probably doesn't have the ceiling to ever get there. But he fits what we're doing just fine and isn't going to have a broken back or shattered collar bone if the wind blows the wrong way.
Andrew Luck's rookie stats were good, next to Dak's they look like diarrhea.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Andrew Luck's rookie stats were good, next to Dak's they look like diarrhea.
I love Andrew Luck but he throws too many picks and his YPA has never been as high as Daks. Of course I hope Dak never has to throw the ball as much as Andrew Luck. I think the Colts could ruin Luck with the pressure they put on him to carry the team with no Oline.

townsend

Banned
I love Andrew Luck but he throws too many picks and his YPA has never been as high as Daks. Of course I hope Dak never has to throw the ball as much as Andrew Luck. I think the Colts could ruin Luck with the pressure they put on him to carry the team with no Oline.
That's true, Dak was put into an unbelievable situation compared to Luck. The only rookie to be put into a similarly comfortable situation was Roethlisberger. But sometimes I get pissed at people assuming what Dak can't be. MFer has shown more promise than any Rookie in a generation. But since he doesn't have draft pedigree people wanna act like he can't compare to elite QBs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
That's true, Dak was put into an unbelievable situation compared to Luck. The only rookie to be put into a similarly comfortable situation was Roethlisberger. But sometimes I get pissed at people assuming what Dak can't be. MFer has shown more promise than any Rookie in a generation. But since he doesn't have draft pedigree people wanna act like he can't compare to elite QBs.
Did anyone say Dak can't become great and just as elite a QB as any out there? I'm saying tap the breaks on calling him elite based on his year 1 campaign. He's a good passer and will get better.

As for "most promise in a generation", seriously come back to Earth for a minute.

He had close to the best possible offensive team around him given the NFL salary cap, and he won't always have that every year of his career.

That's why it sucked to have squandered the opportunity we had in 2016/2017 away. Those opportunities are very, very rare.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Jesus Christ, again with this shit?

Personally my opinion on the matter hasn't changed, but it's retarded to argue over it. Dak is the QB.
For real.

This shit was annoying enough to have to deal with throughout the season, but now we gotta read this dumb shit debate in March of 2017 too?

For crying out loud, [MENTION=17]ravidubey[/MENTION]. Just drop it already.

It's stupid. Romo's era is over now whether you like it or not. Get over it already.

townsend

Banned
I'm saying tap the breaks on calling him elite As for "most promise in a generation", seriously come back to Earth for a minute.
He put up the best rookie year for a QB since Marino. Better than Luck, better than Ryan. It's true that his surrounding team was great, but his first season puts Roethlisberger, (who had a great receiver group, a great rushing attack, and unlike Dak a great defense) to shame.

No rookie, no rookie, no rookie, has ever walked in and put together a 16 game passing performance as good as seasoned pro bowl QB.

I get this board is all about seeing the half glass empty, but by any objective standard Dak played like a top QB. Which is why he took ORotY honors in a season where he was competing with Zeke Elliott. It's why he had a post season performance as good or better than any of Romo's playoff appearances.

He showed more promise than any rookie QB in a generation, it's not an opinion, it's a verifiable fact.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He put up the best rookie year for a QB since Marino. Better than Luck, better than Ryan. It's true that his surrounding team was great, but his first season puts Roethlisberger, (who had a great receiver group, a great rushing attack, and unlike Dak a great defense) to shame.

No rookie, no rookie, no rookie, has ever walked in and put together a 16 game passing performance as good as seasoned pro bowl QB.

I get this board is all about seeing the half glass empty, but by any objective standard Dak played like a top QB. Which is why he took ORotY honors in a season where he was competing with Zeke Elliott. It's why he had a post season performance as good or better than any of Romo's playoff appearances.

He showed more promise than any rookie QB in a generation, it's not an opinion, it's a verifiable fact.
The most impressive thing from all that is how the guy performed in his first ever playoff game, and he did that as a rookie, no less.

That right there tells you that he is a winner. I can't wait to see how much better he gets going forward.

townsend

Banned
The most impressive thing from all that is how the guy performed in his first ever playoff game, and he did that as a rookie, no less.

That right there tells you that he is a winner. I can't wait to see how much better he gets going forward.
It's funny because we've been hearing since the preseason that Dak was supposed to come back to earth at some point. People get so used to saying "pump the brakes" they don't realize when that's the irrational response.

When Ben R. got to the playoffs he was an absolute liability. Dak not only performed lights out, he did it from an 18 point hole.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What?

No, he came out the same year as Bledsoe but not even he won ROY.

That went to Jerome Bettis.
Hmm.

I've always had in my mind how "odd" it was that Mirer won Rookie of the Year over Bledsoe.

Apparently neither of them did. No idea where I got that nugget.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Saying someone "showed more promise" is actually, like, the definition of an opinion.

You can say he had a better TD-INT ratio, or a better QBR, or more passing yards, etc, those things are facts.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
FWIW I don't think that Dak is gonna pull an RG3 on us or anything.

I just think we do need to tap the breaks a little. He had some negatives to his game. A full offseason of study by DC's could allow them to exploit those things. Even if he doesn't go full bust, he may not be actually the next Tom Brady, which if you were going by his rookie stats, and projecting them, you would think there is no way he didn't turn into a five time Super Bowl winner someday.

Let's just wait and see. It wouldn't be inconceivable to me that, talent wise, he's Andy Dalton, Joe Flacco (a Super Bowl winner by the way), Carson Palmer, or Matt Stafford, not Drew Brees or Peyton Manning.

I don't know where this goes and neither does anyone else. I can't help but think some of the rush to annoint Prescott stems from those who are in a hurry to close the book on Romo and so they are stretching just a little.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

FACT!

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Came back from 12 down on the biggest stage he has ever been on in his life and tied the game. Yeah, I'd say that's fairly impressive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW I don't think that Dak is gonna pull an RG3 on us or anything.

I just think we do need to tap the breaks a little. He had some negatives to his game. A full offseason of study by DC's could allow them to exploit those things. Even if he doesn't go full bust, he may not be actually the next Tom Brady, which if you were going by his rookie stats, and projecting them, you would think there is no way he didn't turn into a five time Super Bowl winner someday.
To be fair though you also preached that he was going to hit a rookie wall basically his entire rookie season which he never did. It doesn't usually take teams a full offseason to find a guys weakness. After 4 or 5 games as a starter they usually figure it out.

But we also don't know how much Dak will progress. Not for lack of work ethic or anything like that. It's just that some players have higher ceilings then others. It's just good to know he is already at such a high level.

townsend

Banned
Where I'll hedge with Dak is that I don't expect him to have such a low INT # again. I could see him having a 2007 Romo kind of year where he takes more risks and makes a few more mistakes. I think it's fair to say that Dak is further along today than Romo was a decade ago though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

He's definitely a winner.

Just evaluate his performances with an even keel. BlueStar said that Dak was conservative and that's what Dallas needs. One or two keep 'em honest shots and we're good.

I disagree that we need to be always conservative.

I look for Dak to open it up more as he matures.

I doubt the quality of the offensive team around him will improve from what he had in 2016 (how could it?), so we are going to need improvements from both him and the defense.

Top Bottom