Giants Stuff...

p1_

DCC 4Life
how much do we play Zeke in this game? Cant overdo it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
how much do we play Zeke in this game? Cant overdo it.
I would be nice to predetermine how much you can plan for a player or position to be utilized but more times than not the game will dictate the player need. I understand your question but Zeke is supposed to have been doing conditioning training so I guess you use him as much as the game dictates.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Why on earth not? He is paid, run his ass off.
I agree, but I just recall players getting hurt after holding out. Not to mention Zekes slow start. Cabo aint training camp.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, but I just recall players getting hurt after holding out. Not to mention Zekes slow start. Cabo aint training camp.
Yeah there is no way he is ready to be hit and the 90 mil won't mean shit if he blows a knee out.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Why the Giants are better than they were a year ago[/h]
SNY

Ralph Vacchiano
SNYSep 2, 2019, 7:45 PM

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- If there was one thing the Giants wanted to make clear after their first regular-season practice on Monday, it's that, "We're a better team than we were a year ago," as Pat Shurmur said. No Odell Beckham, no Landon Collins? It's no problem to them.

Yes, they were 5-11 last season so that bar isn't particularly high. And yes, there is an element of, "What else are they supposed to say?"

But the Giants really do seem to believe in addition by subtraction, that by removing a handful of big-name stars they've been able to build a better team -- no matter what the outside world thinks.

"I like the way we've built our team," Shurmur said. "I like some of the personnel changes we've made. I think we're a better football team now -- and this is a team sport."

Is Shurmur delusionial? Maybe. There are certainly a lot of people who think so, even a few inside the league. The expectations are pretty low for a Giants team that most people view as being in transition. Few think their rebuilding project is complete.

But here's the thing: There's also a decent chance that Shurmur is right. There are good reasons why he and his players believe the critics are in for a surprise. The Giants are not a Super Bowl contender, and even reaching the playoffs could be tough. But they really could be a lot better than they were last season.

Here's why:

Eli Manning should thrive behind a professional offensive line.

It took longer than general manager Dave Gettleman thought it would, but they have actual players now in four of the five spots along the offensive line, and they're pretty sure that the fifth spot -- with center Jon Halapio returning from injury -- won't be a weakness. Adding guard Kevin Zeitler and tackle Mike Remmers were significant offseason moves.

And if you drown out the noise of people who think Manning is "done" and actually look at his performance last year, you'll see he was pretty good despite some terrible blocking in front of him. Did he dump off passes too much? Sure. But why? Because the line was always breaking down in front of him.

He looked more comfortable in the pocket this summer, and his teammates and coaches agree. He still has the arm. He still has the accuracy. And once he gets used to the idea that he won't always be running for his life, he could have a very good year.

Evan Engram can be a 'matchup nightmare.'

That's what wide receiver Sterling Shepard called him, and the Giants seem ready to use him that way this season. Their passing offense doesn't have to run through one guy anymore, which should give Shurmur and Manning the freedom to be a little more creative -- especially when it comes to their speedy tight end.

There's no doubt Shepard and running back Saquon Barkley will get their share of catches. But if Engram stays healthy, his contributions could be huge.

Remember, Engram had 45 catches for 577 yards and three touchdowns in only 11 games last season. That's really only scratching the surface of what he can do.

There is some pass-rushing potential.

There was a lot of hand-wringing over the Giants' decision to trade away their best pass rusher, Olivier Vernon. But he really wasn't all that good for the Giants. Granted, he's probably more talented than the players he left behind. But he didn't exactly leave the cupboard bare.

There are huge expectations for second-year linebacker Lorenzo Carter, and the Giants believe new linebacker Markus Golden is primed for a breakout year. They also think rookie Oshane Ximines could surprise some people. And they love their defensive line - particularly with rookie defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence in the middle. No, there aren't any real stars -- yet. But there are pieces there for defensive coordinator James Bettcher to work with.

Barkley is a true impact player.

Beckham is extremely talented and one of the best receivers in the NFL, but receivers don't usually lead teams to Super Bowls. Quarterbacks do. And so do running backs.

Enter Barkley, who had 261 carries for 1,307 yards, 91 catches for 721 yards and 15 total touchdowns as a rookie last season. On a bad team. Behind a bad offensive line. In an offense that too often ran through Beckham. Now the line is better and he's the clear focal point of Shurmur's scheme. Maybe his numbers won't jump dramatically, but his presence and ability could change everything for the Giants. With teams focusing on him, things could open up for everyone else.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Martin is going to be an issue

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The Giants will be thin in terms of experience and talent at the WR position on Sunday. As long as they don't allow Saquon Barkley to have a career day I can't see them scoring more than 20 points against that Cowboys D.

On the other side of the ball, I'm not really impressed with their LB corps. Dexter Lawrence is a bit of a space eater who was very disruptive at the college level. If his high level of play carries over to the pro game then that will certainly help what looks to be a very average group of LBs.

When attacking their secondary I'd make it a point to pick on Jabrill Peppers as much as possible. He's not a scrub, just not much of a playmaker. Basically he's a lesser version of Byron Jones.

Top Bottom