Garrett Watch Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Really unfair to Garrett to drag this out. He could have had other job offers by now.
True. It was even just reported that Rhule turned down a meeting with the Browns because he's expecting to be a contender for the Giants or Panthers jobs.

So.... he's gonna potentially cost Garrett a chance to talk to the Giants, and he's gonna cost himself a chance to talk to Rhule.

Seems like par for the course.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sarcasm was definitely missed.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Ed Werder said on the radio this morning Jerry plans on keeping Moore and Kitna

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ive said this was going to happen for years. He is going in the front office in some made up capacity. Just can't get rid of the stank.
Yeah, a lot of people have said this. That when he was finally done coaching, Jerry would move him into the front office in some capacity.

And play it off as a "promotion".

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Same. I think he's looking at making Garrett an offer and they are going to work out what kind of pay cut he's willing to take given how he's going to get zero offers in pro football anywhere else.
I think so. This is part of the posturing process and the meetings. How does Assistant GM sound in charge of PR and player activity sound or something along these lines. The spin being Garrett is voluntarily stepping down because after evaluating his career he thinks a fresh approach with a new HC is warranted for the team.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Really unfair to Garrett to drag this out. He could have had other job offers by now.
LOL, like where would that be? Nobody is going to want him as a HC, nobody is going to want him as a coordinator either. He was a worse coordinator than HC. When he gets shown the door he'll end up with a broadcasting job. Then maybe in a year or two he gets a job clapping an NCAA team out of sanction-hell.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I mean no reason to fire them until a new coach comes in. But the new coach should have that option.
It makes sense to keep them because if Dak gets his contract Jones will want these two guys to continue to groom him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Per Mike Leslie: I’m told entire #Cowboys coaching staff has been fired

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Florio reported that Zimmer and Kubiak could be candidates for the job, I don't take Kubiak seriously as a candidate but I could definitely see Zimmer. There are rumors that if the Vikings lose to the Saints, which I think is extremely likely, that they will replace Zimmer with Stefanski.

So how would everybody feel about a Zimmer/Kubiak as OC pairing?

I wouldn't love Zimmer as HC on his own but if you pair him with a very experienced/proven OC in Kubiak I think we could have something. Our offensive personnel is tailor-made for Kubiak's zone-running/bootleg/play action scheme and I think Zimmer could pretty quickly get our defense playing at an elite level with a few personnel tweaks (a run-stuffing DT or two).

Not the most exciting thing in the world but it could be very practical.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Florio reported that Zimmer and Kubiak could be candidates for the job, I don't take Kubiak seriously as a candidate but I could definitely see Zimmer. There are rumors that if the Vikings lose to the Saints, which I think is extremely likely, that they will replace Zimmer with Stefanski.

So how would everybody feel about a Zimmer/Kubiak as OC pairing?

I wouldn't love Zimmer as HC on his own but if you pair him with a very experienced/proven OC in Kubiak I think we could have something. Our offensive personnel is tailor-made for Kubiak's zone-running/bootleg/play action scheme and I think Zimmer could pretty quickly get our defense playing at an elite level with a few personnel tweaks (a run-stuffing DT or two).

Not the most exciting thing in the world but it could be very practical.
I know a lot on here seem to hate Zimmer but I'd be all on board. I think Zimmer is a great coach. He has done a lot in Minny with some shitty QBs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I know a lot on here seem to hate Zimmer but I'd be all on board. I think Zimmer is a great coach. He has done a lot in Minny with some shitty QBs.
What are you willing to give up for Zimmer? If I'm trading for a coach it bettet be Payton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you willing to give up for Zimmer? If I'm trading for a coach it bettet be Payton.
Oh I'm not willing to give shit. A day 3 pick maybe but that's it. I don't love Zimmer enough to trade real picks. But I think the hypothesis was he could be fired.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't hate Zimmer like I used to. I really don't think it was remotely sane to ask him to coach a 3-4, most of my frustration about him in Dallas was because of that. His 01 and 03 defenses played way above their talent level here and his defenses are always tough, and good at tackling.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the premise is that Zimmer would be fired by Minnesota in favor of Stefanski if they lose to the Saints. I don't think the Vikings would string Zimmer along when there is the possibility that Stefanski takes a HC job elsewhere.

Top Bottom