Garrett Watch Thread...

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
F Josh McDaniels. No thanks.
Man, I'd at least take a long hard look at him and interview the crap out of him. He's been with Belichick for like 15 of the last 18 years, he's worked for Saban and he had a short 2 year stint as HC in Denver which may be reason not to hire him or it could be the lessons he needed to learn before he was truly ready to be head coach. That was 10 years ago and he was 33. He's been good enough for Belichick all this time so I'm inclined to think he might be a pretty decent coach. That's a hell of a lot of exposure to the best coaching in the history of the league so I think he at least deserves consideration.

He's probably smart enough not to work for jeri tho

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Man, I'd at least take a long hard look at him and interview the crap out of him. He's been with Belichick for like 15 of the last 18 years, he's worked for Saban and he had a short 2 year stint as HC in Denver which may be reason not to hire him or it could be the lessons he needed to learn before he was truly ready to be head coach. That was 10 years ago and he was 33. He's been good enough for Belichick all this time so I'm inclined to think he might be a pretty decent coach. That's a hell of a lot of exposure to the best coaching in the history of the league so I think he at least deserves consideration.

He's probably smart enough not to work for jeri tho
Eh, he’s had an all time great at QB and an all time coach which covers a lot of deficiencies. While I’d think the guy would pick up a lot from the hooded one I just can’t get past the retarded shit he did in Denver. Your right it’s been 10 years but I don’t think the guy was really on anyone’s radar after the Denver flop.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Eh, he’s had an all time great at QB and an all time coach which covers a lot of deficiencies. While I’d think the guy would pick up a lot from the hooded one I just can’t get past the retarded shit he did in Denver. Your right it’s been 10 years but I don’t think the guy was really on anyone’s radar after the Denver flop.
I think Indy was about to hire him last year (or the year before last) and he left them at the alter

And I didn't say hire him, I said I'd interview the hell out of him to make sure I should or shouldn't

p1_

DCC 4Life
James Harrison on his biggest takeaway from Cowboys vs Patriots

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dan Orlovsky REACT to Patriots def. Cowboys 13-9 in the "NFL’s $10 billion showdown by the numbers"

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If I had my wish, you’d have to look at anyone next to Payton in NO, anyone near Belichek in NE, (except McDaniels) anyone near Harbaugh in Baltimore, or anyone near Shanahan in SF.

I only say that because these guys just seem to win no matter the circumstances, have survived even losing key pieces on their teams, rebuilt teams, etc. You know these HC’s are surrounding themselves with capable people.
That’s a decent starting point but I’d be unconvinced. Look at how many failed assistants have come out of New England.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, it's worked for us before, and a college guy would have an advantage in terms of relating to younger players. A leftover like McCarthy is hardly inspiring, but special teams were never a shit show in GB. I'm all for hiring a hotshot coordinator, but I don't trust Jerry to find the next Frank Reich.
Really, special teams were never an issue under McCarthy in GB?

How do you know that?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
That’s a decent starting point but I’d be unconvinced. Look at how many failed assistants have come out of New England.
Oh I agree. Belichick has more college success with his tree than the pros by far, but I still think you do your due diligence there regardless.

I still think you have a better shot of taking the current Dallas roster forward with a current NFL assistant than basically breaking in a coach from the college ranks.

No matter where or who it’s just time for change.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Saw another article on Lincoln Riley being a top candidate. To me this is still ideal, but I'm not sure OU would let him go.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Saw another article on Lincoln Riley being a top candidate. To me this is still ideal, but I'm not sure OU would let him go.
I don't know if he would want to. He sure does not sound like it.

Now Urban Meyer? He'd jump for it right away.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Urban Myer is kind of flaky but I'd be down. He's won in 3 different places. That says a lot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Urban Myer is kind of flaky but I'd be down. He's won in 3 different places. That says a lot.
He knows how to win and has shown he can adapt his offense to the players he has. He knows how to pound the rock as well as chuck it. I'd be cool with Meyer.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
What I don't get is, in the event Garrett gets canned, how any GM or owner could watch Garrett's horrible decision making and even consider him as a HC candidate.

data

Forbes #1
What I don't get is, in the event Garrett gets canned, how any GM or owner could watch Garrett's horrible decision making and even consider him as a HC candidate.
NFL Coach of the Year 2016

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably someone with a bottom dwelling team who see Garrett can at least get a team to the playoffs. The problem is those teams won't have the elite talent Garrett requires.

Top Bottom