Garrett Watch Thread...

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Belichick aren't available
not according to this Cowboy guru:

Please keep this here. Please do NOT think this is a fait accompli, because it isn't.

Remember the reports of discord in new England between Brady, Kraft, and Belichick?

There is a theory out there that Bellichick bringing up him telling Jerry not to forget about him is going to happen. Yes, I am saying it is quite possible the next Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys is none other than Bill Belichick.

Like Garrett, his contract is up, he only signed a one year extension.

Not saying it will happen. I am saying there is a very real shot it can.

Again, please keep this here. Don't share it on other forums. If it has legs, let them show in other ways than this, because right now this is just a theory.

Since I know it will be asked, yes, I am hearing something about this being discussed among the Jones family.
:lol

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Campbell is cheap and has a Cowboy pedigree .. just like the ginger. Go out and get a real HC? Heaven forbid.
Campbell has way more of a pedigree than Garrett did when we brought him in as the "HC in waiting". And take a look around the league, how many awesome, no-brainer future HC's do you see?

The flavor of the month, Saleh in SF, is basically a product of the talent SF has assembled on the DL (much of which was brought in before he even got there) and he was almost fired last year. Maybe you could argue Greg Roman but up until about 1-2 years ago he was nothing but a failed OC who had fallen out of favor and was forced to take a demotion in Baltimore before rising back up the ranks.

Guys who have won SB's like Harbaugh and Tomlin were overlooked assistants who nobody knew, Harbaugh in particular had only ever been a ST's coach for about 10 years. A guy like LaFleur in GB barely did anything but ride McVay's coattails before spending one putrid year in Tennessee as OC and now they're 8-3. Reich in Indianapolis was an afterthought, same with Pederson in Philly.

Hell, even McVay himself was an afterthought during his hiring cycle.

Long story short, hiring HC's in the NFL is often a crapshoot. 10 years ago everybody liked to pontificate about Bill Cowher or whoever coming back, but you don't see those established big names getting back in the game anymore. Every year teams are basically forced into rolling the dice on assistants without much of a proven track record.

We could do a lot worse than taking a shot on a guy from the Parcells/Payton tree who has spent the last 3 years as the assistant HC on a very successful New Orleans team.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
LMAO, yim. Is that from the legend himself?

And BTW, Belichick is not the one who brought up that 1996 meeting in Snowmass. Jerry did.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Riley, McCarthy, Meyer, Harbaugh, Fleck, Schottenheimer, etc.
So you'd rather roll the dice on a college guy who may or may not fit in the NFL?

Harbaugh and McCarthy are the only ones with proven NFL success but the others are all huge gambles, and the last time those two were in the league their teams basically mutinied. At this point I'd be fine giving almost anybody a try over Garrett so I'm not going to bash those names but every single one of them comes with massive question marks, just like a guy like Campbell or whoever else.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
LMAO, yim. Is that from the legend himself?
according to a poster at another forum, I can't say for sure because I was banned from the gurus cult :lol but I have no reason not to believe it, sure sounds like something he'd say

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So you'd rather roll the dice on a college guy who may or may not fit in the NFL?
Well, it's worked for us before, and a college guy would have an advantage in terms of relating to younger players. A leftover like McCarthy is hardly inspiring, but special teams were never a shit show in GB. I'm all for hiring a hotshot coordinator, but I don't trust Jerry to find the next Frank Reich.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Campbell has way more of a pedigree than Garrett did when we brought him in as the "HC in waiting". And take a look around the league, how many awesome, no-brainer future HC's do you see?
Garrett is coach because he once played for the Cowboys. Moore is a coordinator because he once played for the Cowboys. Was anyone sniffing around Campbell last off-season when there were a ton of openings?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Garrett is coach because he once played for the Cowboys. Moore is a coordinator because he once played for the Cowboys. Was anyone sniffing around Campbell last off-season when there were a ton of openings?
Yes, he interviewed with Cleveland, Arizona and Green Bay. The Colts job also came down to him/Reich once McDaniels bailed 2 years ago, he's going to be a HC somewhere in the league within the next 2 years if I had to guess.

This isn't some Jerry special like Garrett who he basically pulled out of his ass because Garrett's father worked for him for 20 years.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Miami, Green Bay, Arizona, and Cleveland all wanted to interview him for HC.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Yes, he interviewed with Cleveland, Arizona and Green Bay. The Colts job also came down to him/Reich once McDaniels bailed 2 years ago, he's going to be a HC somewhere in the league within the next 2 years if I had to guess.
So four teams basically said no thanks, but he's good enough to coach America's Team. I wonder what we see that they don't.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
America's Team. :lol

Jerry ruined that for us years ago.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
We'll win the shitty East by default, somehow win a home playoff game, bow out the next week on the road, and Jerry will proclaim that he likes the direction of the team. Leading to you know what.

I disagree. Not this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So four teams basically said no thanks, but he's good enough to coach America's Team. I wonder what we see that they don't.
Bill Belichick was fired from the Browns. Those sorry Pats hiring a guy who wasn't good enough for the Browns.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Frank Reich and Kyle Shanahan also didn't get HC jobs they interviewed for previously before eventually landing where they did, stupid Colts and 49ers.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Who do you want, exactly?

Payton, Reid and Belichick aren't available.
If I had my wish, you’d have to look at anyone next to Payton in NO, anyone near Belichek in NE, (except McDaniels) anyone near Harbaugh in Baltimore, or anyone near Shanahan in SF.

I only say that because these guys just seem to win no matter the circumstances, have survived even losing key pieces on their teams, rebuilt teams, etc. You know these HC’s are surrounding themselves with capable people.

Top Bottom