Garrett Postmortem Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Examining the Cowboys’ Jason Garrett era: What went wrong in 2015-2019
I'd say he's too rough in his appraisal of 2015, but he nails 2019... way too many mistakes.

As even I said at the time, had to go.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
But you would've kept Garrett if McCarthy said no.
But he didn't. Also said Rivera was a good option.

No need to think about whether there were other names I would have considered worthy upgrades beyond that.

As we fired Garrett and announced the hire of McCarthy nearly simultaneously, obviously reaching out and securing the upgrade coach worked out well for us.

You are also forgetting, I'm citing waiting for the right coach as generally a good idea... and saying that getting McCarthy may, in hindsight, have worked out rather great for us if it results in a Super Bowl win, as he's likely a better coach than anyone we would have gotten in the time between, say, 2015 and now. But I'm also ceding that this "wait for upgrade" approach could have been applied, say, after 2017 and going hard for Gruden (though again, given hindsight of how things have progressed, I'm much happier to be sitting here with McCarthy today). I also have said many times chasing Reid after even 2012 would have met no opposition from me. I'm not sitting here saying the only acceptable outcome was waiting till 2019 to hire McCarthy (though, again, it may have been the best for us, long term).

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Examining the Cowboys’ Jason Garrett era: What went wrong in 2015-2019
This will be the longest single post in internet history of internetting.

Eat a hearty meal. Kiss your wife and kids. Activate your Out of Office. It's gonna be awhile.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You are also forgetting, I'm citing waiting for the right coach as generally a good idea...
Name one NFL team who has sat around and hung onto a coach with just three division titles in a decade just waiting for the right guy to come along? That is quite simply not something most teams will or even able to do.

Dallas is unique in that they can be completely mediocre and make money. They also had the owner who fawned over a subpar coach.

That's reality. Your hypothetical situation of what you would do makes you even more insane than Jerry Jones.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
They also had the owner who fawned over a subpar coach.
They won't waste nearly as much time on McCarthy if he doesn't work out. I fear that Kellen "adopted son" Moore is another Garrett in training, however.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is simply not reality though. Sure, we fire Garrett after 2015, hire, say, Dirk Koetter, even if he bombs in 2016 (a year where Garrett succeeded given the talent he had), and goes maybe 8-8, he's not getting fired after one year in favor of the available-because-he-wants-to-get-back-to-coaching Jon Gruden.

You are gonna get stuck with a newly hired coach for a number of years just because of the contract they sign and because PR will mandate that you don't change coaches on a whim. It's the same reason -- unfortunately -- Jerry never would have considered dumping Garrett after 2014, 2016, or 2018. Because they were fresh off Divisional Round playoff appearances. Despite the fan anguish about underachieving he just never was gonna dump a coach that he hired when it looked like he was possibly about to take the next step.
That's odd, the Browns just fired a coach after 1 year. So clearly other NFL teams have no problem doing that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Name one NFL team who has sat around and hung onto a coach with just three division titles in a decade just waiting for the right guy to come along? That is quite simply not something most teams will or even able to do.
Hence why I said as an example that this could be extended to, for example, firing Garrett after 2017 and getting Gruden.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah but I don't see Jones doing it.
Sure and Jones held onto Garrett way too long. He clearly doesn't always make smart decisions with HC's. But what we are talking about is what Jerry should have done and not what we think he would do.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sure and Jones held onto Garrett way too long. He clearly doesn't always make smart decisions with HC's. But what we are talking about is what Jerry should have done and not what we think he would do.
I don't think I have ever seen the goalposts moved that fast.

data

Forbes #1
Using the targeted upgrade approach, the 49ers would still have Jim Tomsula...but they'll be in prime position to hire a Bill Belichick in 2024.

Instead, those knuckleheads hired and fired an unproven Chip Kelly, then double-downed their mistake and fired Chip to hire another unproven Kyle Shanahan.

Tomsula would be entering his sixth season this year and 2024 would complete his ninth year when they hire a Belichick. Imagine laughing at the 49ers for holding on to Tomsula for four more seasons.

That's Garrett-math.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
They won't waste nearly as much time on McCarthy if he doesn't work out. I fear that Kellen "adopted son" Moore is another Garrett in training, however.
Moore will jump ship if we succeed and go far. He could be this generation's Sean Payton

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Using the targeted upgrade approach, the 49ers would still have Jim Tomsula...but they'll be in prime position to hire a Bill Belichick in 2024.

Instead, those knuckleheads hired and fired an unproven Chip Kelly, then double-downed their mistake and fired Chip to hire another unproven Kyle Shanahan.

Tomsula would be entering his sixth season this year and 2024 would complete his ninth year when they hire a Belichick. Imagine laughing at the 49ers for holding on to Tomsula for four more seasons.

That's Garrett-math.
That's actually a pretty good analogy of my argument of what we did and why it shouldn't be done.

Top Bottom