Garrett Postmortem Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

Oh, you know it's coming. The first time they have a good offensive showing, there will be something said. And especially if it's against Dallas.
Yeah it probably is. Maybe he will see the error of his ways and change but it won’t erase his performance in Dallas because it is what it is.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And yes this very well might have ended up the best outcome for us. We would never have hired a guy like Pederson, he was a Reid disciple and destined for Philly. As the example I have if we would have fired Garrett after 2015 the rest of the coaches hired that offseason were garbage. Whether they are “better,” than Garrett or not would have been irrelevant in the comparison of what we have now, cause they would not have been good either.

What if we had hired a guy like Koetter, still don’t win a Super Bowl or go to a championship game, and history is changed and now in 2020 we aren’t sitting here with McCarthy? I think it’s very possible we are in a better position right now than we otherwise would have been.
You have absolutely no idea of how things would have turned out, yet you insist on speaking in definitives . Just because you say 'they would NOT have been good' means absolutely nothing. There is no way to know. The situation these coaches would be in would be completely different. Different players, different front offices, different everything.

Same as a player. Sure, their base talents will still be the same. But the coaching and players they are surrounded with have a large influence on how they develop. I sincerely believe that Tom Brady might have still been a good QB. But he wouldn't have been the goat without spending his entire career with Bill Belichick and the stability of the Patriots organization. Just like Belichick might have found some success as a coach, but not all timer success like he did if he didn't have Tom Brady and the rest for 15+ years.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You have absolutely no idea of how things would have turned out, yet you insist on speaking in definitives. Just because you say 'they would NOT have been good' means absolutely nothing. There is no way to know.
But I'm not speaking in definitives.....?

I said in that post you quoted:

this very well might have ended up the best outcome for us
and

I think it’s very possible we are in a better position right now
I mean.... I have qualifiers of uncertainty all over that. I'm not speaking in definitives, I'm simply arguing likelihood.

The one thing I did say definitively is that we would not have hired Pederson, the one coach from that class who did end up succeeding. I would feel relatively confident he wouldn't have been the hire. The Philly-Reid connection was the reason they pursued him and he otherwise was not a commodity that really was really on anyone's radar. He seemed to be like an admission by Philly that they never should have hired Chip Kelly and let Reid go, and they were returning to his protege. Doesn't seem realistic to me that he would have been the one we would have hired.

Though FWIW, I'll go on the record again and say - taking Garrett out the equation, I'm not comparing him to Garrett - I don't think Pederson is very good. I think McCarthy is much better and frankly I think Rivera is better too.

The situation these coaches would be in would be completely different. Different players, different front offices, different everything.

Same as a player. Sure, their base talents will still be the same. But the coaching and players they are surrounded with have a large influence on how they develop. I sincerely believe that Tom Brady might have still been a good QB. But he wouldn't have been the goat without spending his entire career with Bill Belichick and the stability of the Patriots organization. Just like Belichick might have found some success as a coach, but not all timer success like he did if he didn't have Tom Brady and the rest for 15+ years.
Agreed that we don't know how, for example, Dirk Koetter or Adam Gase or Hue Jackson would have turned out here. But what I'm saying is they may have been "better" than Garrett, but still not good enough. That's a distinct possibility, no? I would argue it's LIKELY that they would have not been good enough here to be top-10 coaches, given how they performed at their respective stops that we do know about. Do I know that? No, I'm simply saying I don't have a good feeling about their hypothetical tenures here.

So what if they had come in here and been upgrades over Garrett but still not enough to get us over the hump and still prone to inconsitency and down years? And what if, with Jerry's slow trigger finger, they last from 2015 through this coming 2020 season as they also vacillate between, say, 9-7 and missing the playoffs to 11-5 and getting to the divisional round and losing? And what if McCarthy is hired by some other team - say, the Giants - after this 2019 offseason, and now the Giants have McCarthy for 10 years?

I'm saying in retrospect, this may have (not definitely was, just maybe) turned out the best outcome for us.

Let me be clear about the argument here: This is not me trying to say it was right to hold onto Garrett for a decade. This is not me saying the next coach who is deemed a failure early should be held onto for 5+ years past his expiration.

What it is an argument for is that once you deem the coach no longer worthy of being the coach, you have to analyze where you are with that coach and where you want to be so you know the risk and reward of moving on. Where we "were" is -- and let's say I stipulate on this point to you, which I'm not, but for argument's sake -- that we had one of the worst coaches in the league yet we still were capable of an exciting season and reaching the Divisional round of the playoffs. What you don't want to do -- or so I was told -- is get stuck at that level and never be able to progress past it, as was one of Garrett's chief sins. But if you just run out and hire the first Dirk Koetter or Adam Gase available..... it is LIKELY that those guys are also not capable of producing Super Bowl wins for the Dallas Cowboys in say, 2018. I mean, I don't know..... but I just don't see it given their resumes. It's not something I would feel good about betting on.

But you know who is capable of that? Who I feel good about possibly accomplishing that?

Mike McCarthy.

This is often simplified by detractors down to "Oh he's just saying that so he has an excuse to never fire Garrett because the coaches he wants never become available." But that's not true! Let's take a look: After 2012 - Andy Reid was available. After 2016 - Jon Gruden was available. After 2018 - Bruce Arians was available. After 2019 (and 2018) - Mike McCarthy was available. These guys are the types of names I would be saying the Cowboys should have been waiting to pounce on (of course, in addition to trying to poach a guy like Sean Payton).

I have been saying since .... I would guess.... about 2015 or so that I would agree with trying to go out and find a guy like those named right there and replace Garrett with one of them. Where I am saying I feel a little vindicated on this is that I don't really see a ton of coaches available following any of Garrett's missed-playoff years (the years where it is realistic that Jerry should have fired him.... unlikely that Jerry fires him after the 2016 season, for example) who I'd feel like we would be better off with than McCarthy right now. And that's the reality we otherwise would likely have been facing.

Do I know for sure? Of course not.

But if McCarthy comes in here and wins a Super Bowl in the next 5 years... I mean.... kinda worth it all, no?

And so then in 2025 when we have Jason Garrett Junior in here bouncing between 8-8 and 10-6, and Stephen can't decide whether to fire him or not, it just might be worth remembering that we should wait for the hot coaching name to become available next year or in two years rather than lock yourselves into a technical "upgrade," who still isn't all that good, just because you are mad at the moment.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I also don't believe you should hold onto a shitty coach because it makes it easier to dump him when a special coach comes along. If a special coach comes along you should pursue him regardless unless you already have a special coach.
That is simply not reality though. Sure, we fire Garrett after 2015, hire, say, Dirk Koetter, even if he bombs in 2016 (a year where Garrett succeeded given the talent he had), and goes maybe 8-8, he's not getting fired after one year in favor of the available-because-he-wants-to-get-back-to-coaching Jon Gruden.

You are gonna get stuck with a newly hired coach for a number of years just because of the contract they sign and because PR will mandate that you don't change coaches on a whim. It's the same reason -- unfortunately -- Jerry never would have considered dumping Garrett after 2014, 2016, or 2018. Because they were fresh off Divisional Round playoff appearances. Despite the fan anguish about underachieving he just never was gonna dump a coach that he hired when it looked like he was possibly about to take the next step.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Garrett wasn’t a good coach for reasons I have already stated but if you just go by wins and losses then he is in the middle of the pack with about .550. Shula is highest with with total wins but his percentage is about . 625 but the most wins was a fellow names Chamberlin which is highest and with percentage of about .734 and shares the top total wins with company such as Lombardi and Halas in the .700s as well. To call Garrett shitty would cover the majority of the coaches in the league. To me I see him as a coach with limitations of aggressiveness and systems that are maybe better than he chose to use. He is a rigid coach and those folks can’t advance to the top because they aren’t flexible when the situation call for it.
Pretty much.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jesus Christ. I'm not replying to all that giant wall of excuses.

Basically, yes. You did speak in definitives on the part I quoted. I didn't quote the rest of your excuses.

Whether they are “better,” than Garrett or not would have been irrelevant in the comparison of what we have now, cause they would not have been good either.
And that's all I was talking about.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jesus Christ. I'm not replying to all that giant wall of excuses.

Basically, yes. You did speak in definitives on the part I quoted. I didn't quote the rest of your excuses.

And that's all I was talking about.
Ok, well, I think I clarified that in my "wall" of text. Obviously I do not know for sure how they would have worked out. I thought it was relatively clear that it is my belief that it seems likely we are ahead right now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I thought it was relatively clear that it is my belief that it seems likely we are ahead right now.
Well, yeah. I'd bet that everyone thinks that we are ahead right now. Where the disconnect lies is what happened over the last 5-6 years to get to that point.

We basically dropped anchor and did nothing for that period of time in the coaching department. My argument is that we should have pulled anchor and headed over the rapids. Yeah, we might have crashed and sank. Or we might have made it through to glory on the other side. Who knows? But at least we would have been trying. We knew just floating in the bay was getting us nowhere.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well, yeah. I'd bet that everyone thinks that we are ahead right now. Where the disconnect lies is what happened over the last 5-6 years to get to that point.

We basically dropped anchor and did nothing for that period of time in the coaching department. My argument is that we should have pulled anchor and headed over the rapids. Yeah, we might have crashed and sank. Or we might have made it through to glory on the other side. Who knows? But at least we would have been trying. We knew just floating in the bay was getting us nowhere.
I mean ahead of where we would likely be if we had fired Garrett in 2015, as an example, and hired Koetter or Jackson or McAdoo or many of the other goofs who have been hired between that year and now.

I think it’s an argument for “doing nothing,” as you put it, sometimes, because it’s worth waiting for a McCarthy type.

Like I said - this argument could be applied to saying it would have been the right move firing Garrett and hiring Gruden after 2017. Just don’t assume that every offseason where you are ready to move on (like in 2015), that the right replacement is out there, available, and ready to come work for you.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
His worst coaching was the Chaz Green fiasco. It's like Tyron Smith was a jenga piece that brought the whole tower down.
I was at that game, and initially all the Falcons fans were talking so much shit about Clayborne's sacks.

After the 5th, though, I could hear it everywhere...."Why the coach not changing anything?" "Why they leaving that guy out there by himself?" "They ain't making any adjustments!" "Dak gonna die!"

It was sad that the opposing fans knew what should be done and yet our Ivy League HC thought he was sharpening steel or some shit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If McCarthy was still in Green Bay should we have fired Garrett a few months ago and gone after someone like Eric Bieniemy or Greg Roman?

I know my answer of course.
No, but Ron Rivera would be a good alternative.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think it’s an argument for “doing nothing,” as you put it, sometimes, because it’s worth waiting for a McCarthy type.
Jesus. This is it in a nutshell. NOBODY KNOWS that there will be some HOF coach like Reid or Payton or even a very good coach like McCarthy waiting for you at the end of the long, stagnant trail that the Jason Garretts of the coaching world will lead you down.

But deciding to just keep stumbling along with a coach that pretty much everybody knows is not going to take you anywhere is madness. Make the change. If it doesn't work out in a few years, make another change. But like I have said a few times now, at least you are trying. You are giving yourself a chance to do something. Staying with a schlub like Jason Garrett is the epitome of not trying. That's just treading water because it's comfortable. It's safe. But it's not going to get you any where.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That is simply not reality though. Sure, we fire Garrett after 2015, hire, say, Dirk Koetter, even if he bombs in 2016 (a year where Garrett succeeded given the talent he had), and goes maybe 8-8, he's not getting fired after one year in favor of the available-because-he-wants-to-get-back-to-coaching Jon Gruden.

You are gonna get stuck with a newly hired coach for a number of years just because of the contract they sign and because PR will mandate that you don't change coaches on a whim. It's the same reason -- unfortunately -- Jerry never would have considered dumping Garrett after 2014, 2016, or 2018. Because they were fresh off Divisional Round playoff appearances. Despite the fan anguish about underachieving he just never was gonna dump a coach that he hired when it looked like he was possibly about to take the next step.
Teh JJ Has had some very short tenured coaches Gailey, Campo, SOB, Tuna... there’s no reason to believe he wouldn’t have canned any other coach who wasn’t in the family picture Just as quick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
No, but Ron Rivera would be a good alternative.
:lol

My Lord man, this is why people can't take you seriously on Garrett.

2019 was a historically bad coaching performance, after basically a decade of, shall we say, uneven at best coaching from Garrett and his staff, and yet you're either so scared of the unknown, or more likely so fond of Garrett, that you'd rather continue with that than take a chance on probably the two most respected non-HC offensive minds in the league right now.

I guess it's just a matter of you preferring known quantities, even a guy like Rivera who is a good but not great HC, but still.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm posting this article here so we don't have these arguments spread out all over the board. Trying to keep this contained a bit. :lol

____

Examining the Cowboys’ Jason Garrett era: What went wrong in 2015-2019

By Bob Sturm 1h ago

This shall forever be known as Jason Garrett Week here in my little corner of The Athletic. I wanted to let the smoke clear and the tensions fade, and the time is right. Only two coaches in franchise history coached more than 80 regular-season games in Dallas: Tom Landry’s 418 and Jason Garrett’s 152. Enough books to fill a library have been written about Landry, so the least I can do is write a few pieces about the man who oversaw the Dallas sideline for 10 seasons. I invite you to treat these stories as a series and read each part as I close the book on a very memorable and frustrating era of Cowboys football before we cleanse our palates for the new dawn in 2020.

We began Jason Garrett Week with Part 1 Monday: The unpardonable sins of 2011-2013

Today, we will tackle what happened after the unlucky break at Lambeau Field in January of 2015. Seemingly both teams involved on that frigid day admit that Dez Bryant caught the ball. Disagreements ensue on what would have happened next. The Cowboys would have led with 4:06 to play — by a score of 28-26 after an extra point or perhaps 29-26 if they had cashed in for two. Green Bay had 17 points in their last three drives and seemed to have the Dallas defense spinning in circles against Aaron Rodgers. With a little luck, Dallas closes the deal and the Cowboys go to their first NFC Championship Game in 20 years with a trip to Seattle where they had already won three months earlier. The Super Bowl would have been on the line, and Garrett’s legacy would have taken a noticeable shot upward. Perhaps that fork in the road would have validated all of the blind faith from the Jones family for his first five years on the job.

There would be no such luck, though. Dallas would not be given the completion at the Green Bay one-yard line. They would not touch the ball again as the Packers would run a 10-play drive to kill the remainder of the game, and the Patriots would ultimately win Super Bowl 49 in Glendale, culminating one of the most dramatic postseasons in history.

The Cowboys seemed so close. Everything seemed so perfect. And then it was all gone. Tony Romo, the quarterback whom the team invested so much in, would finish just two more games as starting QB in his entire career. The throw to Dez Bryant in Green Bay might have been his crowning moment, and it serves as the high-water mark of a career that required years of build-up. It also might have signaled the door being closed on it all as his body had been battered along the way to a level where NFL football was too much for him to handle any longer.

If one thing is certain in the NFL, it is that there is an end date on every career. Some players get a little luck with the health of their body, and some do not. Romo started 32 consecutive games to start his career and then only exceeded that mark one time: when he was able to take the field 47 times in a row from 2011-2013. There is no question this franchise has been blessed with absurd happiness. Much has gone right for America’s Team. But QB health has rarely worked out well for Dallas.

So 2015 would be an exercise in figuring out how to climb those final few spots to the Lombardi Trophy and then having to demolish all plans when Romo was lost. The Cowboys tried to play a season without their starting QB and no real ideas behind him. For Jason Garrett, who now owned a brand new five-year, $30m contract extension that would cover 2015-19, it would be the ultimate test of taking a team that many thought could win it all, subtracting the franchise QB upon which everything has been built and still demonstrating competent NFL football.

It did not go well. At all.

Let’s continue our chronological list of the most firable offenses of Jason Garrett’s coaching tenure by starting in 2015 and concluding with his eventual dismissal.

No. 7 – 2015 – One win in 12 games without Tony Romo

Perhaps this is not specific enough. Maybe it’s simply unfair. I don’t believe it is, but the total collapse of the entire organization because Romo got hurt again (something that should not have been a surprise given his big injuries in 2008, 2010, 2013 and 2014) was simply inexcusable. With a team that was loaded at just about every position — aside from the ill-advised idea of trusting RB Joseph Randle and backup QB Brandon Weeden — the team went into an epic freefall that saw them lose every single game without Romo for almost the entire year. No single time period did more to enhance the public perception of the QB — which is incredible, given how split the fanbase was on the man at the end of 2013 and that he saw his public approval rise without taking a snap — and less for the coach of the team. It seemed completely reliant on Romo to bail everyone out in the entire organization. That clearly makes you question what the coach is there for. All goodwill that was earned from the valiant efforts of 2014 quickly disappeared for Garrett.

They went 1-11 in the 12 games when Romo was inactive and lost them in every style imaginable. They lost games late because of silly mistakes. They were blown out early and hardly even showed up. They would show some scrappiness on the road and then play just well enough to lose at the end. Through it all, Garrett seemed to offer no real solutions and then, when chaos would ensue — such as Greg Hardy and Rich Bisaccia in a dustup on the Giants Stadium sidelines — he would stare straight ahead and not address a single thing as you would want your man in charge to properly do. It would be tough to explain firing a coach who spent an entire season without his starting QB and just signed a new five-year deal, but Garrett certainly did not inspire the slightest amount of confidence throughout 2015. If the Cowboys had a top coach in the NFL, they certainly offered no signs of that during one of the most disappointing seasons in memory.

No. 8 — January 15, 2017 — Divisional Playoff vs Green Bay

This one seems particularly unfair. The man had done the near-impossible. He had navigated a preseason loss of a franchise QB. He had handled the preseason loss of a backup QB. He had sorted through the rookie season of a third-tier QB taken at pick No. 135 and the even-more-unlikely run to 13-3, despite the original franchise QB coming back and having most of the fanbase and media rooting for him to retake his “rightful” starting job. Romo’s health status surely prevented this possibility from ever being seriously considered by the team’s decision-makers (and maybe even Romo), but that didn’t keep those on the outside from fanning all flames, causing the noise to increase. Through it all, though they had the No. 1 seed in the NFC and were two home wins from the Super Bowl in Dak Prescott’s rookie year. Even just this was the very ceiling of any reasonable expectation on September 1st.

It would be a playoff game against their old friends in Green Bay. A team Garrett could never lose to as a player was a team he could not beat as a coach, aside from back in October with his rookie QB. This might just be the year.

Here was the thing about that year, though, and we all knew it going into the game: The two offenses were opposites. One had the best QB in the game and would not run the ball. The other had the best running attack in the game and wasn’t really into throwing it. Styles will make fights here, but Dallas knew that since they drafted their vaunted offensive line, the Packers had been murdered on the ground against them. They simply could not stop the Cowboys in Wisconsin or Texas, in the regular season or the playoffs. The Cowboys ran the ball against the Packers for 6.3 per carry, which is off the charts. They were set up to stop the pass, not the run. Everyone knew it.

We thought we did, at least. Here is what I wrote from the offensive breakdown after another loss when they buried themselves with a few missed passes in the first half before their rookie QB got rolling:

What is the most legitimate critique of Sunday’s effort? For me, it is that the Cowboys had an unstoppable force against a defense that has no idea how to slow it down, and Dallas elected to not destroy its opponent with it. We talked about this in the Linehan preview last week: Since 2013, the Cowboys have played the Packers four times. In each game, they ran all day and had no issues whatsoever. They ran and ran and ran. They have run the ball with this massive offensive line against the Packers and Dom Capers 99 times in four games and have rolled up an absurd 641 yards. That comes out to 6.48 yards per carry. Oh, and the Cowboys are 1-3 in those four games.Well, make it 123 times for 779 yards in five matchups — 6.33 yards per carry! And a 1-4 record against Green Bay.

Let’s go back to the question/critique of the entire offensive operation: Even with 31 points and 429 yards, why isn’t the answer to nearly every play-calling situation (within reason) running Elliott behind this offensive line you have built? The Cowboys are a running team. They claim that, identify that and lead all rushing categories. And yet, when it is third-and-2, they pass. Even when there is no reason not to give the ball to Elliott twice. I can understand the premise if the opposition was stopping you. The Giants have a chance. Surely, there are others. But Green Bay? You can barely find one play in five meetings where Green Bay is stopping the Cowboys’ running game. And yet the Cowboys are passing in run situations with the season on the line. I really don’t understand.

Would I fire Garrett for what happened in a playoff game that required a Green Bay miracle after a 13-3 Dallas season? Of course not. But I left that game again thinking that Dallas had the second-best coach on the field. In the NFL, that means too much.

Several examples in 2017 come to mind, starting with allowing the entire three-month-long Zeke suspension fiasco and the national anthem controversy to invade the locker room in a way a stronger coach might not tolerate. Of course, a more assertive coach might not tolerate Greg Hardy, Randy Gregory, Rolando McClain, Josh Brent and probably most Dez Bryant sideline tantrums, either. For that matter, a coach with a stronger sense of how things should be no doubt wouldn’t be starting his eighth season as head coach for the Jones family, so I guess we don’t need to go on.

We could point out at least three more games, but I will limit my feelings about 2017 to one game and one game only, so as not to run up the score.

No. 9 — November 12, 2017 —At Atlanta

Chaz Green. Are you kidding me? From the Morning After:

Could it have been avoided by the time you get to game day? Yes. The coaches did him no favors. You can’t hide a left tackle, but you can help him. In the third quarter, the Cowboys were still in the game. They take their first drive of that quarter right down the field with great power on the ground. Down just 17-7 with much of the second half to play, they marched all the way to the Falcons’ 12-yard line after Alfred Morris had runs of 14 yards, 20 yards, and 11 yards. They have actually salvaged the situation and now have a first down in the red zone. Why then, would you decide to hop back into shotgun on first down and ask Chaz Green to pass protect – on an island – against a guy who already has 4 sacks against him? It is first down and your offensive line and power personnel groupings had just mowed all the way down the field in a few short plays. And now, you want to take those tight ends off the field and get back into shotgun on first down? Predictably, the play ended in a sack and that drive was killed, too.

Unfortunately, the coaches had not done enough damage yet. Even though the game was over in the fourth quarter (after a few more sacks), the staff that evidently had their brains suspended for the game are calling timeouts down 27-7 to try to get the ball back so they can call more plays in shotgun and get their star QB blindsided a few more times by Clayborn and friends who have savaged the left tackle spot long after Chaz Green was gone and Byron Bell (their other idea) was being served up on a platter. They should have been running the ball or even taking a knee – not calling timeouts to prolong the destruction – but Jason Garrett is going to never stop being Jason Garrett. They never really helped out Chaz Green, nor did they modify their strategies to protect him from getting Dak killed, but instead wanted to get the ball back to rerun their same poor strategies. Madness.

I would like to tell you right here that this is where I thought Garrett should have been fired. Honestly, though, you already know that was in 2012. This was the game when I suggested Garrett and Scott Linehan should have been left on the tarmac in Atlanta. Ridiculous doesn’t fully categorize it.

Starting 2018 with no wide receivers after cutting Dez Bryant and deciding Allen Hurns, Terrance Williams, Deonte Thompson and Cole Beasley were sufficient receiving options will not make our list. Nor will the ridiculous showings in both Carolina and Seattle to start the year. I might also apologize to the game at Washington and the goofy appearance at home against Tennessee on Monday Night football. Nope. In the interest of time and your sanity, this headliner was always going to be the trip to Houston.

No. 10 — October 7th, 2018 — At Houston

He had to go. How did the Cowboys enter a ninth year with this millstone still around their neck?

Again from the Morning After, this time after a beautiful new site known as The Athletic had gone online:

This is a game they needed to win, with Jacksonville coming to town next week. For all the imperfections of an offense that can hardly produce 300-yard days anymore (and this one even gave the ball away a couple of times), Dallas scrapped its way to this moment in time with under six minutes to go in overtime with the ball. Their choices were as follows:

A) Take the talent you do have on this offense, with first- and second-round picks Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, Connor Williams, Ezekiel Elliott, and honorary first-round pick La’el Collins (who we all know was certainly thought of as such before his unfortunate draft weekend in 2015) and challenge the Texans to stop you on 4th and 1 from the Texans’ 42-yard line. Do this because you are 18 out of 19 in the Ezekiel Elliott era on 4th-and-1 for 95%, and only failed last year in Week 17 in Philadelphia. You probably can just sneak your big QB for the yard, but if not, there are about a dozen different variations of either ramming Zeke or using him as a decoy for a bootleg or a wide play with speed.
B) Punt, because you are a very conservative coach on a team that can’t overcome your conservatism any further.

Again, this is not the first quarter. Your team has battled its tail off for about three hours already and you need this win. The team is not good enough to overcome coaching themselves out of a few wins anymore. If you cost the Cowboys any games in 2018, you are most likely missing the playoffs which hypothetically should mean a regime change. Let’s ask this question about the rest of the league. Well, according to the greatness of the Profootballreference.com play finder, there have been 52 situations like this one (including five from Dallas) in the NFL since the start of last season — that is, 4th and 1 from between midfield and the opponent’s 40-yard line — at any point of a game. The rest of the league has decided this is where you go for it, and have done so 37 of 47 times (79%). Incidentally, they have succeeded on 25 of those 37 attempts on 4th and 1 (68%).

Not Jason Garrett. For he is the only coach in the NFL in the last two years who faced this situation and called out the punter on multiple occasions. The league, as a whole, has punted only 12 times in those 52 occasions. Jason Garrett is the only one to do it twice. He punted on the first drive of the game against Kansas City last year and then in overtime last night.

“It was a long yard.”

Again, those are 10 different moments when I was pretty concerned or convinced that this wasn’t the guy to lead this team back to the promised land. Maybe I was unfair, but in which direction? I might have been too tough on one or two, but if you said I need to get to 25 moments, it wouldn’t have been that hard. Remember Calvin Johnson going for 300? Josh McCown putting up 45? The Saints scoring seven touchdowns in eight drives? No? Just as well, I promise.

In his 10th and final season, Garrett seemed convinced he could not be fired. He now tried to test the limits of his job security with one crazy idea after the next.

Here is but a shortlist.
  • Dallas refused to bring in a single kicker to compete with one who was inarguably bad in 2018. It would cost them dearly.
  • Dallas lost as a road favorite in Week 4 against a Saints team without its QB.
  • Dallas lost to Green Bay at home despite outgaining the Packers by 230 yards, playing them without their only WR of note in Davante Adams, giving up 55 yards receiving to wide receivers and holding the Packers to only three third- or fourth-down conversions.
  • Dallas lost to a Jets team which only scored a combined 39 points in four games. The Cowboys were a seven-point favorite and playing a QB who had been missing for several weeks. They would allow Sam Darnold one of the best performances of his life. This would also represent the third time Garrett would face the Jets and the third time he would lose to the Jets. In a nutshell, this actually explains much of his Dallas career in three acts.
  • Dallas would lose a crucial game to Minnesota at home. Their QB played nearly perfect football but would be sabotaged by two coaching issues that included a red-zone play-calling snafu inside the final two minutes and an incredibly bizarre command to order Tavon Austin to take a fair catch despite nobody within 20 yards of him inside the final 20 seconds. It was among the worst moments of Garrett’s coaching career.
Perhaps, as opposed to commenting, let me just round out the list.
  • Another incredibly absent-minded day of special teams work in New England. Dallas couldn’t score a touchdown, then got a punt blocked, muffed a few kickoff returns and received a punt without a deep return man. Those details get you beat.
  • Dallas then laid another egg against mighty Buffalo despite being a touchdown favorite at home on Thanksgiving.
  • Dallas allowed Mitchell Trubisky to throw for three touchdowns and run for another, accounting for a season-high four scores. The Cowboys lost as a favorite once again, something they did a season-high seven times (tied with the Chargers).
  • They finally cut the worst kicker in football when it was too late. The damage had been done.
  • They were nearly full strength when playing the Eagles, who were missing so many parts they started a rookie and a college QB as their two wide receivers. They also were on their fourth RB and played a backup right tackle. They lost in a very humiliating way, and here you would blame the Jones family again for insisting that a fired-coach-to-be was better than an interim coach. The product disagreed.
  • With one play left, the season on the line and all their timeouts available, Dallas ran a 4th-and-8 play without Amari Cooper on the field. They then tried to suggest it was by design. If ever a coach had to explain a ridiculous, inexplicable decision, I imagine this was it. The franchise ended up giving Cooper $100 million, which seems to indicate they were befuddled, too.
I wrote this after the disaster in Chicago. It followed a similar article I wrote after the Buffalo game, in which I wondered why the Joneses refused to fire Garrett when the team was beyond lifeless:

I see no logical reason to counter the simple belief that Jason Garrett must be fired today. Actually, the counter was to do it a week ago. There is simply no air left in the balloon. We have reached the part of the story when everyone knows what is around the next corner.

The coach knows he is gone. He understands the business and he understands his room. He has been in the NFL for three decades and is far more familiar with how this works than most of us could ever be. Coaches talk about the moment they realize they are a “dead man walking,” and then it becomes an exercise in simply carrying out your own role with dignity and class. No, he is not going to quit on his team, but he knows they stopped responding and he knows who will ultimately pay for that. Cats have nine lives, and this Cowboys coach had nine full seasons. We believe he just used up the last one.

The amazing part of this decade-long story is that even toward the end, the Cowboys still wouldn’t fire Jason Garrett. The final game was played on December 29th, 2019. From then until January 5th, 2020, there was no word — just a series of bizarre stories and half reports that still indicated internal wrestling about Garrett’s future.

He was the coach they couldn’t fire. He helped authorize a lost decade of Cowboys football. We will never forget it, but many hope to soon.

On Friday, we will complete Jason Garrett Week by trying to figure out what we learned before turning the page completely.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
not only that, if we did worse we would have higher picks and have an even better cast for McCarthy now...
Exactly. If you did happen to find someone worse, you just get rid of them and move on.

Which is what would happen with practically anyone who wasn't an old family friend and pet project.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Jesus. This is it in a nutshell. NOBODY KNOWS that there will be some HOF coach like Reid or Payton or even a very good coach like McCarthy waiting for you at the end of the long, stagnant trail that the Jason Garretts of the coaching world will lead you down.
Well history demonstrates that they do come available.... after 2012, Andy Reid, after 2016, Jon Gruden, after 2018, Bruce Arians, after 2018 or 2019, Mike McCarthy.... they do come available.

Top Bottom