GameDay Chatter Thread | Week 1 | Cowboys @ Rams | 9/13/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The game was a toss up, the Rams played slightly better but it came down to a great play (and a moronic decision from McCarthy to go for it) on 4th down and the horrendous PI call that decided that game.

I'm more concerned about the defense, they looked completely discombobulated at times and gave up 400+ yards. The offense will get on track as time goes on, they weren't far off from putting up about 27ish tonight.

It's the first game under a new coaching staff and they lost a tight one to a decent team, it's not the end of the world. If I had to bet on who wins the division it's still Dallas.
Projecting if we can win a bad division is of no comfort. McCarthy is here to help the team turn the corner and they looked as inconsistent, directionless and lost as ever.

Very disheartening. Of course I’m willing to say it is a strange week 1 but if this team isn’t capable of leaping into the upper echelon with all they have going right for them now, well, then as I asked a few weeks back, when the fuck are they going to?

We might be cursed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why did the game come down to a desperate 3rd and 20 when it was clear the offense was superior all night???

It goes beyond one stupid play. Ramsey gets an Oscar, it shouldn’t have had to matter.

Steele was getting mauled all night. Where was the extra protection? This was Jason Garrett territory.

Except Garrett might have lucked into overtime
Just because we didn't play up to our potential doesn't make it any less of a terrible call that decided the game.

The Oline is a concern though. Steele was picked on amd we couldn't push the ball down the field because Dal had guys in his face all day. The loss of Jarwin definitely hurt too. Schultz sucks and we don't have another good receiving TE.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pfft. 25-39, 266 YDS, 1 TD + 30 yards on 3 carries while getting hurried hit and sacked regularly. That throw to Gallop should have won it. He's a B or a B+.
Yeah not really Daks fault on that play. Just refs being refs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Just curious... How long can we expect these veiled Garrett defenses? Is this just a first week thing, or a season long thing?
Not really a Garrett defense as much as it is an enjoyable point out of hypocrisy and ignorance.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Pfft. 25-39, 266 YDS, 1 TD + 30 yards on 3 carries while getting hurried hit and sacked regularly. That throw to Gallop should have won it. He's a B or a B+.
Dak got no help when it was clear we needed better protection up front. Where were the deep shots.

Dak has to learn to try them even when they are covered. And not just on 3rd and 20 with the game on the line.

Launch it. Keep the defense on its heels. Not bunched up on you.

Kellen Moore never had any guts, Dak. Don’t let this kid decide what your career should look like.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It was weird because it feels like the defense played worse than 20 points allowed and the offense played better than 17 points.

I think it's mostly a function of the significant TOP differential, the offense only had the ball for 24 minutes and put up 380 yards. They didn't squander too many scoring opportunities, and generally didn't settle for FG's, but they barely had the ball it felt like.

I was expecting to see more from the offensive design though, I'm hopeful we'll start seeing it as the year goes on but the offense looked alot like last year's, just with a bit cleaner play.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Dak got no help when it was clear we needed better protection up front. Where were the deep shots.

Dak has to learn to try them even when they are covered. And not just on 3rd and 20 with the game on the line.

Launch it. Keep the defense on its heels. Not bunched up on you.

Kellen Moore never had any guts, Dak. Don’t let this kid decide what your career should look like.
I think you're undercutting your own point. There were few deep shots because there was no protection. KM can't call a bunch of deep throws when the line isn't holding up. Recipe for sacks. I'm guessing they couldn't do screens either with a RT that hasn't played with the 1st team much at all. Losing the other backups was a disaster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just curious... How long can we expect these veiled Garrett defenses? Is this just a first week thing, or a season long thing?
Until McCarthy quits coaching like Garrett, it will continue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom