Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys v. Colts | 8/19/17

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
They did? I'm pretty sure we pulled the starting Oline. Hell Tyron only played one series.
I'm pretty sure they played bare minimum one more series after Dak got pulled.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Watching us persist with Moore reminds me of when we kept wasting our time with Stephen McGee and Brad Johnson before him.

It was so clear that neither of those guys allowed us to truly evaluate the other young players on offense because the QBs looked so unsure of themselves that they weren't willing to let the ball go. You couldn't run an NFL offense with those guys and that's exactly what I'm seeing with Moore.

And just as they did with those 2 QBs, the Cowboys inexplicably kept insisting they liked what they saw and kept very poor players at the backup spot despite all the evidence pointing to us needing someone better. I hope these guys come to their senses and release Moore and give Rush the opportunity he deserves. But given how we've operated in recent history in regards to the backup position, we're going to keep Moore in that spot way longer than he should be.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Reminds me of Matt Moore.

Teams are too desperate for QBs to try to stash a good one on the practice squad.

Rush is too valuable to try to stash. He has to make the team.

I was thinking the same thing just before I read your post. I honestly don't give a shit if we just carry Dak and Rush. I saw your other post about the experience factor but if Dak goes down we're fucked anyway. Moreover, if we did carry 3, I'd be ok with whoever shook loose from someone else's roster over Moore.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wasn't comparing him to Moore.
What exactly was your point? I think it was Dak was good, but he benefited playing with the OL. Does that make his performance less impressive?

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Not trying to say he's Tom Brady or anything ridiculous like that, but Dak has a similar mindset that you see with Brady where it seems a little more natural for him to make the safe throws to move his team methodically down the field.

Romo on the other tended to look for big plays more often, like his childhood idol Brett Favre. He got much better at the tail end of his career but as others have pointed out, it feels like Dak grasped the value of being smart with the ball much, much earlier in his career than Romo did.

Dak has a more complete team than Romo did. Most importantly, Dak has Zeke.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dak has a more complete team than Romo did. Most importantly, Dak has Zeke.
Still doesn't change the fact that Romo was not the most careful with the ball.

You took the bad with the good and his risk-taking made him fun to watch but also made you wanna pull out your hair.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I was thinking the same thing just before I read your post. I honestly don't give a shit if we just carry Dak and Rush. I saw your other post about the experience factor but if Dak goes down we're fucked anyway. Moreover, if we did carry 3, I'd be ok with whoever shook loose from someone else's roster over Moore.
Yeah, if Dak goes down or suffers a sophomore slump you may as well write the season off. This team will live or die based on its offensive performance because the D is still a work in progress.

You already know what you have with Moore. While Rush is an unknown quantity at this point, he at least has some potential and isn't a tree sloth when he gets flushed from the pocket. At least not from what I've seen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What exactly was your point? I think it was Dak was good, but he benefited playing with the OL. Does that make his performance less impressive?
Timestamped like a mofo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Romo became gunshy near the end to the point that he would basically toss the ball up for grabs before the pressure was even five yards away. He would drop too deep in the pocket at times, too.
JJ Watt would disagree.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Romo didn't become gun shy at the end. That's a load. And to say he just tossed it up for grabs before pressure was even there makes me wonder if you even understand what you're watching. If anything, he became better as he aged.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Romo didn't become gun shy at the end. That's a load. And to say he just tossed it up for grabs before pressure was even there makes me wonder if you even understand what you're watching. If anything, he became better as he aged.
Romo reached a point where he would curl up in a fetal position on the field as soon as he sensed pressure. Sometimes he *would* toss it up for grabs and yes, I knew what I was watching.

That's not a knock on him, he just took too many hits over the years. I think he's a top three QB in team history and he did improve as far as physical performance goes but both mentally and physically, time still caught up with him. Debate the whys and wherefores all you want but that won't change facts. I love the guy and was glad he retired when he did, even if Dak wasn't there to step in. He suffered five severe injuries in the last six seasons and he did turn 36 last year before the season and in many/most QBs careers, that's past the end of the road.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
This is true.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Correct.

Top Bottom