Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys v. Colts | 8/19/17

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Today, we finally get to see Jaylon Smith on the field in live action. Let's do this. :towel

Cotton

Staff member
Someone stole our idea, [MENTION=15]pdom[/MENTION].

data

Forbes #1
Someone stole our idea, @pdom.

WTF...RJ OCHOA is arcticdiesel.

Stealing my innovation was bad enough when I invented the backwards hat. This means war.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm hyped for the game itself more than Smith's debut because I'm ready for Cowboys football.

I watched him play in college enough to know the type of player he can be when healthy and if he is, he should be a great contributor to a defense that has been lacking some fire and energy.

data

Forbes #1
I'm hyped for the game itself more than Smith's debut because I'm ready for Cowboys football.

I watched him play in college enough to know the type of player he can be when healthy and if he is, he should be a great contributor to a defense that has been lacking some fire and energy.
I detect hope.

Folks...shall I do it, or shall I wait for DFDC to do it?

Cotton

Staff member
I detect hope.

You can't take that from Booze. It's all he has.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

He is just such a perfect fit for this defense. I'm excited even if there is some learning curve this year. I think long term he could be our Brooks as that dominant WLB. Even in the middle this year his length and speed could be huge in that deep middle zone that is so important in a cover 2 scheme.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I detect hope.

Well hell, if you don't have even a smidgen of hope, why pay attention at all? You'll rarely if ever catch me in full blown homer mode but I do need a reason to look forward to a game, even if it's a silly preseason game.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He is just such a perfect fit for this defense. I'm excited even if there is some learning curve this year. I think long term he could be our Brooks as that dominant WLB. Even in the middle this year his length and speed could be huge in that deep middle zone that is so important in a cover 2 scheme.
I'm cautiously optimistic and I'll leave it at that. He's not a lock to become a perennial all-pro or pro bowler but if he becomes a serviceable asset on defense, that works for me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm cautiously optimistic and I'll leave it at that. He's not a lock to become a perennial all-pro or pro bowler but if he becomes a serviceable asset on defense, that works for me.
The injury doesn't concern me that much at all anymore. But he is still a totally unproven rookie. Even a top 5 talent can bust so we really still don't know for sure what we have. Even if he was healthy I didn't want to use a top 5 pick on him. But just based on his natural skills I have a hard time not thinking he is at least the second best LBer on this roster.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Anyway, I rarely go by the early preseason games because it's mostly your second/third team and prospective PS players participating. I care more about the last one, which is traditionally the "dress rehearsal". I do prefer to see some starters in there at some point so they can shake off some rust.

Cotton

Staff member
Peckerheads, it's game day. I'm going to need some chatter, kthx.

I'll get it started.

Jaylon Smith, greatest LBer to ever play for the Cowboys?

Cotton

Staff member
Switzer isn't playing, btw. Hammy still enough of an issue, team doesn't feel good playing him.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The injury doesn't concern me that much at all anymore. But he is still a totally unproven rookie. Even a top 5 talent can bust so we really still don't know for sure what we have. Even if he was healthy I didn't want to use a top 5 pick on him. But just based on his natural skills I have a hard time not thinking he is at least the second best LBer on this roster.
I'm not worried about the injury but I saw it live and it reminded me of the Willis McGahee injury when he was at Miami. I literally looked away when they replayed it. McGahee ended up being a decent pro but he wasn't close to what he was in college. Not all college players are locks to succeed in the NFL to begin with but catastrophic injuries stack the odds against them even more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Switzer isn't playing, btw. Hammy still enough of an issue, team doesn't feel good playing him.
Eh, still two preseason games to get his feet wet. I have zero concern. It's best to not screw with a hamstring if there is anything still bothering him about it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not worried about the injury but I saw it live and it reminded me of the Willis McGahee injury when he was at Miami. I literally looked away when they replayed it. McGahee ended up being a decent pro but he wasn't close to what he was in college. Not all college players are locks to succeed in the NFL to begin with but catastrophic injuries stack the odds against them even more.
His second and third years in the NFL he was a pretty dominant RB and he had over 8,000 yards rushing in his career. That is better than a lot of other top 10 draft picks at RB that I can think of. I don't think that injury really impacted his career.

Hell look at Gurley. In year two he only managed 800 and some yards and 3.2 ypc. RBs are funny like that. They sort of need everything around them right to be productive.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Even if he was healthy I didn't want to use a top 5 pick on him. But just based on his natural skills I have a hard time not thinking he is at least the second best LBer on this roster.
I think you could cut the foot completely off and he'd be the second best LB on this roster.

Top Bottom