Game Day Chatter Thread | Week 5 | Packers at Cowboys | 10/06/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbair1967

I don't really feel this was a coaching loss. We made too many mistakes. The only coaching decision I really question was kicking the 54 yarder at the end of the half. I would have gone for a 1st there. We had plenty of time and TOs.

I do think we have some talent issues, notably at DT and safety. Positions we've all wanted us to address for years. Teams are gouging us up the gut and our LBers can't make plays. Further, our safeties can't cover, don't help the corners, and suck at tackling to boot. Woods was horrid today and isn't the answer. I'm pretty pissed we picked Hill over some of the safeties available. Especially given the fact that Hill was getting pwned by 3rd teamers in the preseason.
Sorry, I cant disagree more. This was absolutely a coaching loss (again).

The team was grossly unprepared and not even remotely motivated or enthusiastic about this huge game at home. The defensive system is the biggest fucking joke in football right now. There are too many good football players all over this roster to be THAT fucking bad the other day.

Two weeks in a row they absolutely shit the bed. 9+ years of this garbage is enough.

THE GUY CANT FUCKING COACH

dbair1967

Jerry Jones on TV last night talking about how hard the team fought. Who didn’t see that coming? Fuck him, fuck this whole team.
Yep. I'm sick of it.

Stephen Jones was on the radio making excuses and begging fans to "just stick with us a little longer, it's gonna work" (paraphrasing)

About this <> close to never watching another game again.

dbair1967

The guys who are supposed to be leaders aren't playing well, so not much accountability.

I genuinely thought Lawrence was gonna bring it this year and the defense would follow his passion. Is he butthurt about Taco's departure or something?
I'm not sure why people keep beating up on Lawrence, he is out there busting his ass. He had two sacks Sunday that unfortunately didn't count (one was the Rodgers play that was overturned I think, at the very least it was intentional grounding) and the other was a play that another penalty was called.

One of the stats posted after last week was Lawrence leads the league in double team % among edge rushing DL's.

1bigfan13

The performance by Mayfield makes my heart sing.

:lol

Perhaps he needs to worry less about what Rex says and practice throwing the ball.
He needs to do and worry less about a lot of things.

For starters he needs to stop all the back and forth with former coaches, players, and TV analysts; and he needs to do fewer commercials, interviews, and endorsement appearances. He clearly hasn't dedicated enough of his time to developing himself as a QB.

Right now he's more interested in being a celebrity and the results are showing on the field.

dbair1967

The Niners would thrash us
I was about to post this, but congrats to Jerry are definitely in order.

Yet another dumpster fire organization appears to have lapped us and their "process" didn't take 9 1/2 years. All it took was ridding themselves of a massive mistake as quickly as possible and bringing in a real football coach. Combine that with some good drafting and personnel moves, and they look like a legit competing team.

dbair1967

Look at that hole.

Kyle Shanahan is one hell of an offensive coach, just like his dad.

Hey but we have this!

:roboclap

Rev

Yet another dumpster fire organization appears to have lapped us and their "process" didn't take 9 1/2 years. All it took was ridding themselves of a massive mistake as quickly as possible and bringing in a real football coach. Combine that with some good drafting and personnel moves, and they look like a legit competing team.
They have done it more than once since we have been back. Were horrible and then went to NFC championship with Capernick. Went back to being horrible and now look like one of the best teams again.

if it wasn't so sad it would be comical.

UncleMilti

Why did I buy this bitch??
Staff member

Yep, and I’m not sure how people keep defending Garrett. How many teams have turned around by a simple coaching overhaul in the time that Garrett has been “learning” to be a head coach?

That’s the laughable part of all this bullshit from Jones. Shanahan and Pederson...McVay....Lefleur....Reich....even Patricia has the Lions playing well.

It’s pretty evident you don’t need 9 years to learn to be successful nor is it as difficult as Smitty says to find an innovative coach who can be successful at the NFL level.

1bigfan13

They have done it more than once since we have been back. Were horrible and then went to NFC championship with Capernick. Went back to being horrible and now look like one of the best teams again.

if it wasn't so sad it would be comical.
Hell, they went to the NFC Championship one year and the Super Bowl the next with Kaepernick.

And as Unc pointed out, there's a long laundry list of other coaches who have taken their teams further in the playoffs within their first 3 years on the job. Meanwhile in Dallas we're still dicking around with a coach who has clearly reached his ceiling. And that ceiling was fairly low.

Rev

Hell, they went to the NFC Championship one year and the Super Bowl the next with Kaepernick.

And as Unc pointed out, there's a long laundry list of other coaches who have taken their teams further in the playoffs within their first 3 years on the job. Meanwhile in Dallas we're still dicking around with a coach who has clearly reached his ceiling. And that ceiling was fairly low.
Yeah. I just find it funny that the 49ers have been through the bad to good cycle twice.

Meanwhile our team is still trying to learn when to get motivated.

GShock

Because no one holds his to the fire for epic failure after epic failure either
Because no one holds the GM's feet to the fire.

Because win or lose, the owner keeps making money.

He bought a money printing machine in 1989. Turns out, it doesn't matter whether the operator is competent or not, the damn thing just never stops printing money. So why fix what isn't broken?

1bigfan13

Yeah. I just find it funny that the 49ers have been through the bad to good cycle twice.

Meanwhile our team is still trying to learn when to get motivated.
Which is why I'll never get on board with the arguments of people like Schmitty who are petrified to move on from Garrett just because there's not a HC candidate available who is a guaranteed improvement.

First, there are very few guarantees in life.

Second, there are a lot of coaches out there whose resumes are a hell of a lot more impressive than Jason Garrett's when he got the job in Dallas. That alone would make me roll the dice on someone else. Mainly because those coaches' accomplishments are well documented and you know they've actually EARNED their promotions. Basically the complete opposite of how Garrett got the job.

So I'd absolutely take my chances to see if someone else could push the right buttons with this franchise, rather than watch them continue to be stuck in mud with Garrett.

mcnuttz

Super Duper Moderator
Staff member
Yep, and I’m not sure how people keep defending Garrett. How many teams have turned around by a simple coaching overhaul in the time that Garrett has been “learning” to be a head coach?

That’s the laughable part of all this bullshit from Jones. Shanahan and Pederson...McVay....Lefleur....Reich....even Patricia has the Lions playing well.

It’s pretty evident you don’t need 9 years to learn to be successful nor is it as difficult as Smitty says to find an innovative coach who can be successful at the NFL level.
In the owner's defense, the GM is still learning on the job.

It's a process that we just simply can't understand.

• Props
Reactions: Rev

mcnuttz

Super Duper Moderator
Staff member
There are not many successful coaches who've iced his own kicker.

1bigfan13

Garrett's allegiance to Maher is telling on himself.
Actually I'm not even pissed at Maher.

I can't bring myself to point the finger at the kicker when the QB was out there throwing picks left and right; receivers were out there dropping easy passes; LBs were taking poor angles and running themselves out of plays, the DL was getting blown off the LOS; the OL was getting their ass handed to them on passing downs; and the entire coaching staff look completely shell-shocked and failed to make a meaningful adjustment until late in the 3rd qtr when the game was well in hand and the score was 31-3.

When you consider all that, I don't see how anyone could have Maher anywhere near the top of their list of things that cost Dallas the game. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, that missed kick was an afterthought and nothing more than the cherry on top of a Cowboys shit-show sundae.

mcnuttz

Super Duper Moderator
Staff member

I can't bring myself to point the finger at the kicker when the QB was out there throwing picks left and right; receivers were out there dropping easy passes; LBs were taking poor angles and running themselves out of plays, the DL was getting blown off the LOS; the OL was getting their ass handed to them on passing downs; and the entire coaching staff look completely shell-shocked and failed to make a meaningful adjustment until late in the 3rd qtr when the game was well in hand and the score was 31-3.

When you consider all that, I don't see how anyone could have Maher anywhere near the top of their list of things that cost Dallas the game. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, that missed kick was an afterthought and nothing more than the cherry on top of a Cowboys shit-show sundae.
It's Garrett putting the heat on the kicker again, when really they should have gone for it on 4th.

Garrett hates kickers, just like someone else we all know.

Cowboysrock55

Oh I don't blame Maher for the 6 points he left on the board. Our chances were slim to win even if he made both kicks. But that doesn't mean Maher isn't a problem. If he misses those kicks in a more competitive game we absolutely will lose because of him. Plus there is just something really pathetic about missing a 30 some yard kick. I'll give a guy a break for a miss here or there on the longer stuff. But that second miss should have been a gimmie. It's a big fuckup for a kicker.

lostxn

Sorry, I cant disagree more. This was absolutely a coaching loss (again).

The team was grossly unprepared and not even remotely motivated or enthusiastic about this huge game at home. The defensive system is the biggest fucking joke in football right now. There are too many good football players all over this roster to be THAT fucking bad the other day.

Two weeks in a row they absolutely shit the bed. 9+ years of this garbage is enough.

THE GUY CANT FUCKING COACH
I’m sorry you’re sick of it but Garrett didn’t coach amari to drop that ball. Rashard didn’t coach LVE to play like a retard. There are some coaching decisions you can question but this loss was mostly about execution.

lostxn

Oh I don't blame Maher for the 6 points he left on the board. Our chances were slim to win even if he made both kicks. But that doesn't mean Maher isn't a problem. If he misses those kicks in a more competitive game we absolutely will lose because of him. Plus there is just something really pathetic about missing a 30 some yard kick. I'll give a guy a break for a miss here or there on the longer stuff. But that second miss should have been a gimmie. It's a big fuckup for a kicker.
I absolutely blame Maher for going 1 of 3. Fuck that guy. We need to upgrade somehow someway.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I’m sorry you’re sick of it but Garrett didn’t coach amari to drop that ball. Rashard didn’t coach LVE to play like a retard. There are some coaching decisions you can question but this loss was mostly about execution.
It was about execution primarily and losing possession secondarily. Coaching wasn’t a big factor in the Green Bay game other than alignments to confuse Rogers. He had all day and ripped the defense.

Simpleton

Sure, it's about execution, but a large part of "execution" is the HC/coaching staff making sure that the players are fully focused and motivated. If it was just an error here or there that'd be one thing, but the sloppiness and general lack of energy that the entire team came out with was so widespread that I think you have to blame the HC for not keeping them up. A HC like Parcells would've been all over their asses after starting 3-0, especially after that sloppy first half against Miami, but I'm sure Garrett was all too happy to powder their asses and grin.

deadrise

Amen. Peeps lose sight of the larger issues.

deadrise

Problems are problems. You fix as many as you can.
Maher is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys. You're playing whack-a-mole, sticking your finger in the dyke (excuse the analogy). Winning will not come with band-aide stuff, ignoring the bigger issues.

pdom

Sure, it's about execution, but a large part of "execution" is the HC/coaching staff making sure that the players are fully focused and motivated. If it was just an error here or there that'd be one thing, but the sloppiness and general lack of energy that the entire team came out with was so widespread that I think you have to blame the HC for not keeping them up. A HC like Parcells would've been all over their asses after starting 3-0, especially after that sloppy first half against Miami, but I'm sure Garrett was all too happy to powder their asses and grin.
Prescott made a comment about their 3-0 overconfidence.

Jimmuh was known to lay into the team harder during a win streak, especially a blowout win, and be more nurturing after a tough loss.

Cowboysrock55

Maher is not the problem with the Dallas Cowboys. You're playing whack-a-mole, sticking your finger in the dyke (excuse the analogy). Winning will not come with band-aide stuff, ignoring the bigger issues.
That's silly logic. By that thought you might as well do nothing except conserve cap space until Jerry dies.

jsmith6919

Prescott made a comment about their 3-0 overconfidence.

Jimmuh was known to lay into the team harder during a win streak, especially a blowout win, and be more nurturing after a tough loss.
They needed a coach to get on their ass after the Miami game when they came and half-assed it the first half, you could tell they already eating the cheese

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This is completely retarded. Missed FGs are not only missed points, but momentum killers. The other team comes off the field fired up that no points were given up, and ours comes off dejected that they put together a scoring drive, but came away with nothing.

To think trying to secure a good kicker is 'band-aid stuff' is moronic.

UncleMilti

Staff member
I agree 100%. Obviously kickers miss kicks all the time, but Maher for whatever reason misses the easy shit.

I don’t blame Maher for being a average kicker, I blame the lazy owner and coaching staff for sticking with a guy everyone who can see is a suck ass kicker.

UncleMilti

Staff member
This is completely retarded. Missed FGs are not only missed points, but momentum killers. The other team comes off the field fired up that no points were given up, and ours comes off dejected that they put together a scoring drive, but came away with nothing.

To think trying to secure a good kicker is 'band-aid stuff' is moronic.
I’d agree out of everything besides not getting the points, the field position and the momentum killer these missed kicks cause is a huge problem.

lostxn

And that would have made a difference?
Sooner or later we will lose a game because of Maher. We hit that fieldgoal at the end of the half and then go for the TD at the end of regulation to tie rather than still need another score. Who knows. Don't give the guy a pass just because he wasn't the biggest problem. He was a serious problem and not one we weren't already worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom