Free Agency/Cuts/Signings Chatter Thread...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Browns sign Rex Grossman

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 12, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT

While all the quarterback talk in Cleveland focuses on Johnny Manziel trying to win the job away from Brian Hoyer, a veteran passer has been added to the mix.

Rex Grossman, the 11-year veteran who had been a free agent, has signed with the Browns. The signing will reunite Grossman with Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan; the two worked together for the last five years, four in Washington and one in Houston.

“Rex is excited to work with Kyle Shanahan again. This is a great fit for him,” agent Drew Rosenhaus said.

The arrival of Grossman gives Cleveland a veteran who knows Shanahan’s offense well, which should benefit both Manziel and Hoyer. Veteran backup quarterback Tyler Thigpen is being released to make room for Grossman on the roster.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Texans agree to terms with Ronnie Brown, William Powell

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on August 11, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT

After releasing Andre Brown earlier on Monday, the Houston Texans have added a pair of running back to replenish their ranks.

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the Texans have agreed to terms with Ronnie Brown and William Powell.

Brown and Powell worked out for the Texans earlier on Monday along with Brian Leonard.

Brown appeared in 30 games over the last two season for the San Diego Chargers. Brown rushed for 157 yards and one touchdown on 45 carries last season in backing up Ryan Mathews.

Powell last played for the Arizona Cardinals in 2012, appearing in 13 games. Powell rushed for 217 yards on 60 carries and caught 19 passes for 132 yards. He was claimed off waivers by the Philadelphia Eagles last offseason but failed his physical and was released.

Following the release of Brown, the Texans have 89 players on their active roster. They will need to clear a roster spot before the two running backs can both be signed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Christian Ponder is open to a trade.

In other news, I am open to being the catcher for the Cincinnati Reds.

Yes, the former Vikings first-rounder looks at the wall, sees the writing upon it, and has offered himself up for the good of the team and himself.

“There are benefits for me being here,” Ponder told Tom Pelissero of USA Today. “I’m learning a lot. It’s less stressful. At the same time, I’ve always got to be ready, because football’s a crazy game. I could play at some point. But it’s an opportunity for me to learn. I do really feel like it’s going to benefit me in the long run.

“If something happens — I get traded, or there’s an opportunity elsewhere to play — I want to play. But this is where I am right now. I can’t control it.”

Ponder’s smart enough to know that getting benched for Matt Cassel and then reduced to third string when they drafted Teddy Bridgewater means his future is not likely with the Vikings.

But with a guaranteed $1.76 million salary, it’s also unlikely anyone’s trading for him.

To his credit, the Vikings say Ponder is being a good soldier.

“For as hard as it’s been for [Ponder], he’s been a true pro’s pro, and I know how difficult that is and the circumstances he’s in right now,” General Manager Rick Spielman said. “But Christian has done everything asked, has really worked his tail off, and I think he should be commended for that, too. Very easily, it could’ve become a distraction, and he’s been nothing but positive with the current circumstance he’s in.”

So in case anyone’s interested, Rick’s phone is probably on.

Just like mine is, waiting for the Reds to call

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Cardinals are without their top two inside linebackers from last season with Daryl Washington suspended and Karlos Dansby in Cleveland, leaving them with Kevin Minter and Larry Foote as starters heading into the season.

Arizona may not be totally thrilled with their options in the event that either of those players is forced out of the lineup because they are adding some more veteran depth at the position. Tom Pelissero of USA Today reports that the Cardinals are signing Desmond Bishop.

Bishop tore his ACL last October, ending his stay in Minnesota after just four games. Bishop also missed the entire 2012 season for the Packers after a serious hamstring injury, so it has been a while since he’s been at full speed.

Should he be healthy enough to get there this summer, Bishop should wind up as a top backup at inside linebacker for Arizona. Ernie Sims, who was trying to earn that role, was recently let go by the team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I didn't know Ponder was even still playing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't know Ponder was even still playing.
Shame on you. Obviously you forgot the season high for him 236 yards and two TDs he was responsible for against us last year.

Cotton

Staff member
Shame on you. Obviously you forgot the season high for him 236 yards and two TDs he was responsible for against us last year.
Yeah, but I thought I remembered him getting ousted and not getting picked up. Maybe it was someone else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Falcons sign veteran tackle Pat McQuistan

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 18, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT

The Falcons had to make some moves to account for the loss of left tackle Sam Baker, and they needed to make some roster moves as well.

Per the league’s transaction wire, the Falcons have signed veteran tackle Pat McQuistan to fill the spot created by putting Baker on injured reserve.

McQuistan originally entered the league with the Cowboys, their seventh-rounder in 2006. He’s also spent time with the Dolphins, Titans, Saints, Cardinals and Jaguars.

He’s solid enough for depth, part of the reason he did two stints with the Cowboys and Titans.

As much as they hate losing Baker, they should be able to recover. Matthews is a natural left tackle, and new right tackle Lamar Holmes is a bigger body for the right side, who will benefit from playing next Jon Asamoah.
------------
[MENTION=43]Plan9Misfit[/MENTION]

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate

The Falcons had to make some moves to account for the loss of left tackle Sam Baker, and they needed to make some roster moves as well.

Per the league’s transaction wire, the Falcons have signed veteran tackle Pat McQuistan to fill the spot created by putting Baker on injured reserve.

McQuistan originally entered the league with the Cowboys, their seventh-rounder in 2006. He’s also spent time with the Dolphins, Titans, Saints, Cardinals and Jaguars.

He’s solid enough for depth, part of the reason he did two stints with the Cowboys and Titans.

As much as they hate losing Baker, they should be able to recover. Matthews is a natural left tackle, and new right tackle Lamar Holmes is a bigger body for the right side, who will benefit from playing next Jon Asamoah.
------------

GOD DAMMIT!!!!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

------------
How in the hell has that guy still hung on to the league.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
ESPN - 49ers sign DL Glenn Dorsey to a two-year contract extension through the 2016 season

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Buccaneers have some time before they have to start making any cuts, but they’ve already made at least one decision about players currently on the roster who won’t be there when the regular season gets underway.

Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune reports that the team has released veteran wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins. Hawkins signed with Tampa shortly after they traded Mike Williams to the Bills in April and some thought his prior relationship with offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford might help him nail down a spot on the final roster. Things didn’t play out that way.

Getting released now could potentially help Hawkins land somewhere else before the preseason comes to a close, although there are going to be plenty of other players hitting the street in the coming days. Hawkins played four games for the Chargers last season and was with the Titans for the previous five seasons, but has only caught five regular season passes over the last two seasons.

With Hawkins gone, it looks like Chris Owusu and Louis Murphy will be joining Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans on the team this year. Tommy Streeter, Eric Page and Skye Dawson have played the most preseason snaps of the other receivers on the roster.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It’s official — Brett Keisel is returning to the club for whom he’s played his entire career.

The Steelers announced Wednesday they had signed Keisel, a long-time defensive end in the club’s 3-4 scheme, to a two-year contract. The announcement was made on the club’s website.

The 35-year-old Keisel has appeared in 144 regular season games for Pittsburgh since 2002, making 110 starts.

Keisel’s re-signing with Pittsburgh came after Arizona — a popular landing spot for former Steelers in recent years — expressed interest in the veteran defensive lineman.

In a corresponding roster move Wednesday, the Steelers waived first-year defensive tackle Al Lapuaho.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Buccaneers aren’t interested in Richie Incognito.

Unless they are.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Bucs are bringing Incognito in for a visit. If all goes well, he’ll be offered a job.

Coach Lovie Smith recently hinted that, if the team had any interest in Incognito, he already would have been in for a visit. But crappy performances from the team’s current crop of interior offensive lineman apparently has caused Smith and G.M. Jason Licht to revisit the situation.

For Incognito, it’s the first serious look he’s gotten since receiving a suspension from the Dolphins that lasted for the balance of the 2013 season.

The 31-year-old Incognito made it to the Pro Bowl in 2012. The league office may attempt to impose further discipline on Incognito. The NFLPA likely would resist, based on the argument that separate punishments for the same offense can’t be imposed by the team and the league.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Offensive lineman Mike McGlynn was one of the players dropped by the Redskins this week as they dropped to 75 players, but he didn’t spend much time out of work.

The Chiefs announced on Wednesday that they have signed McGlynn. They waived offensive lineman Ben Gottschalk to make room for him on the roster.

Kansas City is set to start the season without right tackle Donald Stephenson, who will serve a four-game suspension for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs, and rookie Zach Fulton is starting at right guard. With Eric Fisher struggling in his transition to left tackle, the team has a need for other options should they need to shuffle the line.

McGlynn has made 48 starts on the interior of the offensive line over his career so he should be able to give the Chiefs that depth at the very least.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Derek Cox wasn’t out of work long.

The veteran cornerback, who was just released by the Vikings, is about the sign with the Ravens, according to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego.

Clifton Brown of CSNBaltimore.com reports the Ravens waived wide receiver Jace Davis to make room for him.

After turning in four solid years with the Jaguars, Cox signed with the Chargers last year, but was released one year into what was originally a four-year, $20 million deal.

He may have never been good enough to deserve that kind of money, but he’s been an acceptable player in the past, and the Ravens have a need.

With starters Jimmy Smith and Lardarius Webb injured, they have just four healthy corners on the roster at the moment.

Top Bottom