Free Agency/Cuts/Signings Chatter Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we would drop 17 mill in cap space I would bust a huge nut.

D

Deuce

If we would drop 17 mill in cap space I would bust a huge nut.
Sure, but that's cause we have non-impact players making big money. Miles Austin doesn't mean a tenth to us as Smith or Harper meant to them.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feh. Dropping $17M only to reinvest it in overpaying players and weakening your team as a whole isn't something I envy. Smith is still a good player, Harper was at least average. Now their already average D just became poor again.
Please. In Dallas, this kind of stuff is sold as "addition by subtraction".

Cotton

Staff member
Sure, but that's cause we have non-impact players making big money. Miles Austin doesn't mean a tenth to us as Smith or Harper meant to them.
Fair point, but my point was more to them purging their roster like we should do with Ware, Austin, etc.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If we designated Ware and Austin June 1 cuts and cut Justin Durant outright we could get close to that.
Big thing is there that we have to wait until after June 1st to actually get the room to potentially sign anyone.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Players will wait. Everyone wants to play in Dallas.:unsure

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Big thing is there that we have to wait until after June 1st to actually get the room to potentially sign anyone.
If we cut them all outright and don't sign anyone but the draft picks (and maybe extensions for Smith and Bryant) we'll be in better shape next year.

Unfortunately, we're still stuck with Romo until after 2015. The horrible deal they signed him to is a freaking marriage, with 2014 and 2015 salaries fully guaranteed.

Cotton

Staff member
Exactly. NO could do it without waiting. Poor management on teh J's part.

Cotton

Staff member
ESPN - Lions release WR Nate Burleson, who was scheduled to count $7.5M against club's salary cap

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or you can designate them as June first cuts and then restructures deals to push money into the future and get the same net effect.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Or you can designate them as June first cuts and then restructures deals to push money into the future and get the same net effect.
We could restructure Romo, but we're going to be facing a pretty rough cap hit when we part ways with him regardless. Adding more fuel to that dumpster fire of a contract is a big risk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We could restructure Romo, but we're going to be facing a pretty rough cap hit when we part ways with him regardless. Adding more fuel to that dumpster fire of a contract is a big risk.
Unless you are cutting him today that contract will be a problem regardless down the road.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
his contract is fully guaranteed through 2015. He's the QB for the next 2 years, period.
The thing with June 1st cuts is that it doesn't really help your cap long term. All it does is shift some of the signing bonus already paid from one cap year to another. So if you cut guys on June 1st to save extra after June 1st you hurt yourself with the cap a year down the road. I don't think June st cuts make any sense under the current NFL structure. Better to just cut the player outright.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The thing with June 1st cuts is that it doesn't really help your cap long term. All it does is shift some of the signing bonus already paid from one cap year to another. So if you cut guys on June 1st to save extra after June 1st you hurt yourself with the cap a year down the road. I don't think June st cuts make any sense under the current NFL structure. Better to just cut the player outright.
In the current structure it's a desperation move to get under the cap by the time the season starts.

Cotton

Staff member
In the current structure it's a desperation move to get under the cap by the time the season starts.
What are you talking about? I bet Jerry has the next coach already penciled in, and I wouldn't doubt if they are already on staff.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm interested...

Top Bottom