Fisher - Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery

By Mike Fisher | 105.3 The Fan, CBSDFW.com
January 2, 2014 8:15 AM

IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) – Tony Romo lurched slowly around Valley Ranch on the Monday following the end of the Dallas Cowboys’ season, attending the year’s final team meeting as a gesture meant to provide fellow players an emotional lift after failing to secure a playoff berth.

But that will be the only sort of “lifting’’ Romo will be doing for a while, as sources say the three-to-four-month recovery period for back surgery is a result of the herniated disc procedure he underwent on Friday that may have revealed an additional complication: a rupture of jelly-like “disc material’’ into the spinal canal.

That “material’’ in the spinal canal can cause pressure on the nerves in the spine and a chemical irritation of the nerve roots. That can mean pain and a loss of motor skills – both clearly factors in the decision to give up on a “miracle’’ comeback for Romo, who played with this condition at the end of the Week 16 win at Washington but, even after receiving treatment and a steroid injection, could not function during the week before the Eagles finale – and therefore, the decision to undergo surgery.

“We feel really good about the procedure he had, we feel really good about the rehabilitation program he’s going to be on, and we feel like there is a great history of players coming back from this kind of surgery,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Tony is going to work very hard at it, and it’s really important to him to come back and be better than ever.”

The Cowboys insist that this surgery is unrelated to last spring’s “cyst removal’’ that was performed on May 22 and kept Romo from practicing with the team until July 22. But in fact, sources say that operation was “spine-involved’’ as well (likely a partial discectomy to remove disc pressure on a nerve). And this week, team sources tell me that while Romo’s back problem only flared up in the Washington game – causing him to have to return home on the team plane laying down flat across two seats – he did on a weekly basis undergo Monday treatments for his back, as at least a preventative measure.

Whatever the details, Romo has at age 33 undergone two back operations in the span of eight months. Given the Cowboys’ investment in the quarterback, the hope is that he returns with no major negative ramifications from the procedures.

“Obviously, it’s been a tough eight months for him physically,’’ said teammate and close friend Jason Witten. “But I’m confident he’ll come back. I know what he’s made of. He’ll bounce back and be better than he’s ever been. I believe that to the bottom of my heart.”

Carp

DCC 4Life
Not good...obviously...we need Johnny Football now more than ever.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
"and with the 16th pick the Dallas Cowboy's select Johnny Manziel"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just want to watch the world burn.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'd take the right QB in the first round, no questions asked.

D

Deuce

I think anyone with a brain would take a QB round 1 if a good one presents itself. But my question is, if one starts to slide out of the top 10 for whatever reason, do you trade up?

im starting to get to that point. Romo's regression now paired with another back problem is making me too scared not to.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think anyone with a brain would take a QB round 1 if a good one presents itself. But my question is, if one starts to slide out of the top 10 for whatever reason, do you trade up?

im starting to get to that point. Romo's regression now paired with another back problem is making me too scared not to.
I would, Jerry wouldn't for anybody except maybe Manziel.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Bortles is impressive...I'd trade up for him. I can't believe I am going to say this, but McCarron grew on me. Not in the first though.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Giving Romo that extension was retarded even if he didn't hurt his back. Now it's just retarded and par for the course.

And in all honesty, I'm not sold on Manziel in the NFL. I don't think he'll be a dud like Tebow, but not sure his improvising playground style will be as effective on the next level. Not to mention his size and durability.

Cowboy Hank

Brand New Member
Giving Romo that extension was retarded even if he didn't hurt his back. Now it's just retarded and par for the course.

And in all honesty, I'm not sold on Manziel in the NFL. I don't think he'll be a dud like Tebow, but not sure his improvising playground style will be as effective on the next level. Not to mention his size and durability.
Manziel can also be depended upon to make a few dumb throws every game that result in interceptions. We already have a QB that does that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Manziel can also be depended upon to make a few dumb throws every game that result in interceptions. We already have a QB that does that.
Yep. And he makes some others that he gets away with now but would be INT's in the NFL.

GShock

DCC 4Life
This is setting up to be a complete cluster.

Heinous for Jameis :towel

Jiggyfly

Banned
When your defense was as bad as his was you tend to take more chances than usual, and he still had a 3 to 1 TD to int rate.

Go back and look at how many int's Peyton and Matty Ice threw in college as sophomores, I am not completely sold on Manziell as a high draft pick mainly because of his size but he took a huge leap as a passer and is not nearly as reckless as people make him out to be.

Top Bottom