Falcons Stuff...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bottom line, McCarthy has had no time to put in his own offense. It would take a top to bottom overhaul, and that makes no sense especially in Covid times.

The offensive terminology and play-calling are all being handled by Moore. McCarthy is managing the whole team, not the offense.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Bottom line, McCarthy has had no time to put in his own offense. It would take a top to bottom overhaul, and that makes no sense especially in Covid times.

The offensive terminology and play-calling are all being handled by Moore. McCarthy is managing the whole team, not the offense.
It shouldn't take a lot of overhaul to implement some additional dressing in the form of pre-snap motion.

Unfortunately I think it's just personal preference on Moore and McCarthy's part.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it helps. Similar to how defenses move around to disguise the coverage they're in.

Yes with an if, no with a but.

I think it can help. I don't think it's necessary.

Talented players with a good coaching staff and good execution are fine without it.

It's a tool like any other tool but I think it's much more important to self scout and avoid or disguise your tendencies.

Pre-snap movement is the trend of the day in the NFL. It's fine if a teams wants to do it. It's a way to attack a defense. But there are a lot of ways to do that.

If McCarthy wants to utilize it, that's great. If he doesn't (and there are reasons not to), that's fine too.

Ultimately he'll be judged on the bottom line of where he got to, not how he got there. We hired a proven coach with a track record of success. At the moment, I think it's reasonable to trust his judgment.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yes with an if, no with a but.

I think it can help. I don't think it's necessary.

Talented players with a good coaching staff and good execution are fine without it.

It's a tool like any other tool but I think it's much more important to self scout and avoid or disguise your tendencies.

Pre-snap movement is the trend of the day in the NFL. It's fine if a teams wants to do it. It's a way to attack a defense. But there are a lot of ways to do that.

If McCarthy wants to utilize it, that's great. If he doesn't (and there are reasons not to), that's fine too.

Ultimately he'll be judged on the bottom line of where he got to, not how he got there. We hired a proven coach with a track record of success. At the moment, I think it's reasonable to trust his judgment.
I honestly think the bigger issue is the conservative passing game. I don't know if the game plan was purposely built around a short passing attack to mitigate Aaron Donald's impact, but the Cowboys relied too heavily on those dink and dunk underneath routes.

With three studs at WR they should be a lot more aggressive and willing to push the ball downfield. Early and often. Instead we were treated to the passing game version of the "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

I need to go look it up but aside from that end of game pass to Gallup that was called back for PI, I only remember them having maybe two other pass attempts that went beyond 15 yards of the LOS. That can't continue to happen. They've got to start being more aggressive in order to maximize the strength of their team. Plus NFL refs are flag happy when it comes to PI. So maybe you benefit from a couple of cheap 30+ yards PI penalties. But you actually have to take the shots to get those calls and stop calling plays as if Dak is only a bus driver.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I honestly think the bigger issue is the conservative passing game. I don't know if the game plan was purposely built around a short passing attack to mitigate Aaron Donald's impact, but the Cowboys relied too heavily on those dink and dunk underneath routes.

With three studs at WR they should be a lot more aggressive and willing to push the ball downfield. Early and often. Instead we were treated to the passing game version of the "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

I need to go look it up but aside from that end of game pass to Gallup that was called back for PI, I only remember them having maybe two other pass attempts that went beyond 15 yards of the LOS. That can't continue to happen. They've got to start being more aggressive in order to maximize the strength of their team. Plus NFL refs are flag happy when it comes to PI. So maybe you benefit from a couple of cheap 30+ yards PI penalties. But you actually have to take the shots to get those calls and stop calling plays as if Dak is only a bus driver.
Agreed. I do think that we were intentionally playing it that way because of Donald and also our banged up offensive line. I definitely feel we should be trying to get the ball downfield as much as we can.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Im sure both Donald and Steele affected the game plan.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was one of the best games I've ever seen Donald play. Not sure if that was because of our O-line or because he is just that good but it's probably a combination of both.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It was one of the best games I've ever seen Donald play. Not sure if that was because of our O-line or because he is just that good but it's probably a combination of both.
We also whipped their asses big time in the second to last game last season, which likely kept them out of the playoffs, so that probably had something to do with it also.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Steele is troublesome to me. How is he the next best option after La'el Collins? That's a freaking chasm sized dropoff; Steele is not even a good UDFA signing, much less your second string dude.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Steele is troublesome to me. How is he the next best option after La'el Collins? That's a freaking chasm sized dropoff; Steele is not even a good UDFA signing, much less your second string dude.
No kidding. We signed a swing tackle. We have developed guys on the practice squad. And yet this turd was somehow our best third option? I really don't get it. I guess he wasn't give up 5 sacks bad but he wasn't good. There were a couple times where I don't think he even got a hand on his guy.

I know they hate the idea of it but I would consider moving Williams out to RT and plugging in one of the young guys at LG. Maybe even Badass. I don't think there would be any drop off at LG and I think Williams would be an upgrade at RT.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Dak becomes less effective when he is pressed. The Rams did exactly that in the 4th Quarter. The Rams defense pressed him and he couldn’t read the situation quick enough to make them pay for their aggression. That part of his game really hasn’t progressed since he has been on the roster.

p1_

DCC 4Life
No kidding. We signed a swing tackle. We have developed guys on the practice squad. And yet this turd was somehow our best third option? I really don't get it. I guess he wasn't give up 5 sacks bad but he wasn't good. There were a couple times where I don't think he even got a hand on his guy.

I know they hate the idea of it but I would consider moving Williams out to RT and plugging in one of the young guys at LG. Maybe even Badass. I don't think there would be any drop off at LG and I think Williams would be an upgrade at RT.
I’m pretty sure they want to merely survive at RT until Collins gets back, and not have Williams play RT for 2-3 games and then go back go LG After Collins returns. But Terence F’ing Steele? Come on, man

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

They missed the boat on that - intentionally. They could have signed a veteran to immediately step in at left guard, Leary is still available, but even more so, Kelechi Osemele was out there too. That guy has actually made the Chiefs offense even better this year. If we had signed him, Williams could have been moved to his more natural tackle position.

Instead, the Cowboys wasted $2 million on Cam Erving, who will probably never play a meaningful snap for this team, while the Chiefs pay Osemele about $1.3 million fr what's looking to be Pro Bowl quality of play.

Williams is simply not a guard, and it does both he and this team a disservice trying to force him in there.

Top Bottom