Expert Witness: Trayvon Martin was on top of Zimmerman when teen was shot

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I initially read this as a veild threat, but after thinking about it, I'm wondering if it was a sarcastic warning? I mean, Cruz and Zimmerman are both Hispanic... why woud VC have an ax to grind with Zimmerman?

The ironic thing would be, if this were actually of the latter ilk (sarcasm)... Victor will have some splanin to do to some of his teammates on his choice of words, i.e. "hood". He is really stuck... because either way it was intended, someone is going to be offended.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hilariously, I just read that the police reported that "they couldn't find a record of the transaction for the skittles or Ice Tea at the store" Martin was at.

Trayvon Martin STOLE THE SKITTLES HE WAS EATING.

Straight up punk. No doubt about it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think the most disturbing thing about all this is the absolute mass number of people who can't see past their own emotions to bother knowing a damn thing about the law.

Every single one of them, you hear: "He should be guilty because he shouldn't take the law into his own hands." "He should be guilty because he profiled Martin."

The ignorance is amazing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well, I haven't kept up and since when do facts and the law fit in racially charged cases like this?
Lady Justice booze. She cannot see race etc., because she is blinded from those circumstances. The racial aspects are given legs by segments who would have biases as part of the legal system but that is subjective

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Reading all the Tweets last night was pretty comical.

Race and religion always bring out the rawest emotions in people.

Like I said earlier, from the little I knew about the case, I thought he'd get some jail time for manslaughter. There are several instances where people are sentenced to prison sentences for accidental/negligent homicide, so I thought there was a chance that this would fall under those categories.

I'm not emotionally distraught about it like a lot of these other people. I dont know Trayvon Martin and I never thought it was about race. I thought he was profiled as a thug but that's completely different.

So now expect to seek a lot of social media nonsense over the next couple of weeks until they move on to the next "cause".

Any one up for a DCC blackout?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lady Justice booze. She cannot see race etc., because she is blinded from those circumstances. The racial aspects are given legs by segments who would have biases as part of the legal system but that is subjective
Yeah, but "Lady Justice" does not come out very often in cases like this and those "segments" come out way too often...especially high profile ones.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Roddy White ✔ @roddywhiteTV I understand my tweet last nite was extreme. I never meant for the people to do that. I was shocked and upset about the verdict. I am sorry.
11:50 AM - 14 Jul 2013

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Reading all the Tweets last night was pretty comical.

Race and religion always bring out the rawest emotions in people.

Like I said earlier, from the little I knew about the case, I thought he'd get some jail time for manslaughter. There are several instances where people are sentenced to prison sentences for accidental/negligent homicide, so I thought there was a chance that this would fall under those categories.

I'm not emotionally distraught about it like a lot of these other people. I dont know Trayvon Martin and I never thought it was about race. I thought he was profiled as a thug but that's completely different.

So now expect to seek a lot of social media nonsense over the next couple of weeks until they move on to the next "cause".

Any one up for a DCC blackout?
Why's it gotta be a blackout? Why can't it be a whiteout?

RACIST!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The names of 5 of the 12 jurors were released...

Bam Yu Di

Lok Yu Dor

Ho Mi Ded

Sum Ting Wong

Ho lee Fuk
:lol

There are six people on a jury. You forgot Dam U Crakuh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the league you follow.
It is also the country we (and you) live in. These players aren't any different than the average everyday jackoff Tweeting about this.

It is just a mixture of angry African Americans, self-guilting whites and people who honestly wanted an unfair verdict to punish Zimmerman while ignoring the fact if there was real injustice done, it was by the incompetent prosecution.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Zimmerman verdict sparks strong reactions from some NFL players

Posted by Mike Florio on July 14, 2013, 2:21 AM EDT

There can be no doubt that Trayvon Martin’s death was tragic and unnecessary. George Zimmerman should not have presumed Trayvon Martin was up to no good. George Zimmerman should not have followed Trayvon Martin. And George Zimmerman should not have engaged Trayvon Martin in the exchange that, as a jury of six women found on Saturday night, reasonable doubt existed as to whether Trayvon Martin was killed by a man who was acting in self defense.

But our legal system requires prosecutors to prove all elements of a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. In this specific case, prosecutors had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that George Zimmerman was not acting in self defense.

The sharp conflict in testimony from multiple witnesses regarding whether the 911 call made by a neighbor in the moments before the fatal gunshot contained audible cries for help from Trayvon Martin or from George Zimmerman created more than enough reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was the one wailing and moaning for assistance — which made it impossible to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was not acting in self defense.

For non-lawyers and those who were not watching the trial carefully and thus not realizing what prosecutors could and couldn’t prove, it’s a confusing and frustrating result. In the sports world, the confusion and frustration has emerged via various comments made on social media.

Deadspin has compiled plenty of tweets, from the NFL and elsewhere. Some are highlighted below.

Falcons receiver Roddy White, who rarely bites his tongue, sounded off loudly on Twitter. ”F–king Zimmerman got away with murder today wow what kind of world do we live in,” White said. ”All them jurors should go home tonight and kill themselves for letting a grown man get away with killing a kid.”

Marcus Vick, the brother of Eagles quarterback Mike Vick, continued a theme he began during the prosecution’s closing argument. ”Like I said before, a dogs life mean more then a human of color,” Marcus Vick said. ”My people’s did 2 years over some bullshit when this dude took a human life. Y’all MF’s sick. . . . Zimmerman u peace of DOG shit if I ever seen u I would run up n let u beat my ass then I’ll pop u right between the eyes u cricket Bitch.”

Even Giants receiver Victor Cruz, who isn’t known for saying or doing outlandish things, offered up a chilling prediction for George Zimmerman’s future, via Deadspin: ”Zimmerman doesn’t last a year before the hood catches up with him.”

Bengals linebacker James Harrison made a very strong point that gets to the core of the case. ”Think I’ll go pick a fight and get my ass kicked then pull my gun and kill somebody and see if I can get away,” Harrison tweeted.

Ravens receiver Torrey Smith, who lost a brother last year under far different but no less tragic circumstances, realizes that eye-for-an-eye revenge shouldn’t happen. ”Also as mad as a lot of people are over the verdict…trying to take out Zimmerman isn’t the answer neither,” Smith said.

The answer should have been for prosecutors to select charges that prosecutors were extremely confident they could prove beyond a reasonable doubt. By swinging the bat for a second-degree murder conviction, the Plan B effort to convict Zimmerman of voluntary manslaughter and put him away for 10-to-30 years became muddled. If the prosecutors had chosen manslaughter and only manslaughter charges, perhaps the case would have been easier to piece together and present. (Even then, it would have been hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman was not acting in self defense at the moment the shot was fired.)

Perhaps, then, prosecutors should have done what prosecutors in St. Augustine recently did in response to a claim that Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew punched a bouncer at a club. There, prosecutors honestly concluded that there wasn’t enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, so charges weren’t pursued.

A different form of justice would have still been available for Trayvon Martin, and justice can still be had for him. Trayvon Martin’s family can and should sue Zimmerman for negligently and/or recklessly provoking the exchange that became the fight in which Zimmerman apparently defended himself with deadly force. Like O.J. Simpson, who was acquitted of double murder despite overwhelming evidence of guilt, Zimmerman will have to testify in a civil case, both at deposition and at trial. Seeing him forced to answer tough questions from a zealous lawyer under oath could help Trayvon Martin’s family obtain the peace they hoped Saturday’s verdict would bring. And Zimmerman could end up being responsible for a crippling verdict, with any significant money he ever earns for the rest of his life going to Trayvon Martin’s family.

The money will mean nothing to Trayvon Martin’s family. Knowing that they can continue to chase Zimmerman for more and more money to satisfy the verdict over the coming decades could mean a lot.

It may not be the desired form of justice, but justice can indeed be had, under a far lower legal standard than the one required to take away an American citizen’s liberty. And while the evidence presented over the past few weeks at trial showed plenty of reasonable doubt regarding criminal charges of murder and manslaughter, the evidence also indicates that the Martin family could easily win a lawsuit against Zimmerman for at least negligently provoking the fight that resulted in Trayvon Martin’s death.

Here’s hoping they pursue it quickly, since George Zimmerman definitely should be accountable at least financially for choosing to pursue Trayon Martin and to provoke the fight that claimed his life.

Cotton

Staff member
Why the hell is Florio writing about this?

Cotton

Staff member
Because NFL players Tweeted about it? And well, he's also a lawyer.
I didn't know he is a lawyer. But, regardless, NFL players tweeting about it doesn't dictate a sports writer should write about something that I hope will now go the hell away.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't know he is a lawyer. But, regardless, NFL players tweeting about it doesn't dictate a sports writer should write about something that I hope will now go the hell away.
You think this is going away? Silly whitey.

Top Bottom