Elon Musk Buys Twitter

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Imagine @UncleMilti buys a Porsche or a bad ass gun that he really don’t need or may be completely impractical…what most people do is go, “nice man, good for you!” Not here.

People that are happy for other people when they do well is the kind of folks I prefer to associate with.
I think some people are missing the true practically of having a few EV trucks in your (and my) business. Most of my trucks -gas or otherwise- aren’t traveling 3-400 miles a day. They are going to easily make it 2-3 days without worrying about charging them. We know that out of town jobs or remote jobs aren’t conducive to EV trucks or cars, that’s what your gas trucks are for.
I know I could save a ton of money on around town deliveries and tool runs using EV vehicles.
The ones you ordered are badass, and are made for CEO/Owner/Executive type people who need something on the scale of a similar Escalade or Range Rover type vehicle. It’s exactly what I’d buy if I was to jump in 100% on a everyday EV vehicle.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Nobody is shitting on you for spending your money how you want. And, you don't get to tell Unc what he needs or not, hence why I said multiple posts ago that I don't judge you for what you spend your money on.

Although, I will call out Unc if I think he is foolishly spending his money. I just haven't found an instance to do so, yet.
~throws blanket over Ferrari~

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For the EV owners, what does it cost you to fuel your vehicles?

UncleMilti

Staff member
Outside of installing a Tesla charging station in your garage, I was told it’s literally a couple hundred bucks a year to charge the car by regular 120v power.
If you install the charger, you have to run 240 volts on a 60A breaker to run the charger at peak. So that’s a fairly pricey upgrade.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Outside of installing a Tesla charging station in your garage, I was told it’s literally a couple hundred bucks a year to charge the car by regular 120v power.
If you install the charger, you have to run 240 volts on a 60A breaker to run the charger at peak. So that’s a fairly pricey upgrade.
It's a 60 amp for the superfast charger or the overnight one?

Sheik

DCC 4Life
If I were still a contractor, I would think it may pay off to drive one around for estimates just to trick those liberal idiots into thinking you’re trying to help save their stupid little planet. You could probably tack %15 extra onto their project just for driving it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If I were still a contractor, I would think it may pay off to drive one around for estimates just to trick those liberal idiots into thinking you’re trying to help save their stupid little planet. You could probably tack %15 extra onto their project just for driving it.
"We are the only company around that uses environmentally friendly machinery" :lol

UncleMilti

Staff member
It's a 60 amp for the superfast charger or the overnight one?
That’s the peak amp set up. You can go all the way down to a 20A breaker, which lowers your charging amp output considerably.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
If you’re pulling from the grid it’s roughly 10-15 bucks per fill up depending on your utility rates. I have a 50 amp outlet I had converted from an old dryer outlet. Then from the app you can set the charge rate anywhere from 5-40 amps. There is a more expensive charger that runs on a 60 amp breaker but I don’t think it’s necessary. The one I use adds around 36 miles of range per hour and the more expensive one charges up to 44 mi/hour.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I have a Tesla Model S and it’s an incredible car. Fast as fuck and constantly gets better with software updates. Drove it to Texas and back from my house in Florida last month and it cost me $0. (Free supercharging for the life of the car).
How long did it take to charge when you stopped on the road?

Foobio

DCC 4Life
How long did it take to charge when you stopped on the road?
On road trips you only have to charge long enough to make it to the next charger. So it could be 5 minutes, could be 45. There’s no doubt it’s going to take longer than a gasoline car on trips longer than 300 miles or so. But then again the self driving feature makes the whole experience less tiring.

If you want to get a better idea of trip lengths for electric vehicles, check out this site:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think EVs are going to be at least part of the wave of the future.

You can drive them for like a million miles. No more cars breaking down after 150k with constant service issues. Replace the tires and battery and you are good to go.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think EVs are going to be at least part of the wave of the future.

You can drive them for like a million miles. No more cars breaking down after 150k with constant service issues. Replace the tires and battery and you are good to go.
Oh I agree. And eventually the batteries will charge faster, last longer and the whole process will be streamlined. Give it 10 years and they may end up being the majority of cars on the road with no need for politicians to try and push them. It's not about carbon footprint, it's about a more efficient mode of transportation.

We aren't there yet for me but I'm sure we will. And I love my muscle cars. But eventually EV's will cover the whole gambit.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Shooting for a better deal?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
he probably realized he was shelling out $44 billion for a message board
That's really what I don't get.

Twitter is something that is hard for me to understand generating that much revenue.

There is no real product and the advertisements are mostly passive if you can overlook them.

Same thing for Facebook.

Top Bottom