Eagles Stuff...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We have a serious problem against screens. The bears killed us with it too. This is my biggest worry this week. The eagles love the screen, and with no WRs to speak of they're likely to hammer it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We have a serious problem against screens. The bears killed us with it too. This is my biggest worry this week. The eagles love the screen, and with no WRs to speak of they're likely to hammer it.
At least we know they are short on WRs in advance and can plan and practice fo..... oh wait, never mind.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surprisingly it wasn't a problem the first time we played them. But yeah the defense has been horrific against screens.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Even before Dak injury, Ezekiel Elliott was going to be deciding factor for Cowboys vs. Eagles
By Jon Machota Dec 19, 2019

FRISCO, Texas — Several coaches begin their weekly news conferences by providing status updates on their injured players. That hasn’t been Jason Garrett’s style since becoming the Cowboys’ head coach midway through the 2010 season.

But he opened his Wednesday news conference by sharing that Tyron Smith would not be practicing because of an eye injury, and Dak Prescott would be limited because of an injury to his throwing shoulder.

Excuse me, what?

Smith is dealing with a stye-like issue that is making it difficult for him to open his right eye. It is not expected to keep the Pro Bowl left tackle from playing on Sunday.

Prescott’s injury was more surprising because Garrett mentioned it happened in last Sunday’s 44-21 win over the Los Angeles Rams. It was never mentioned after the game or during Garrett’s Monday news conference.

On the first play of Dallas’ second offensive series, Prescott faked a handoff to Ezekiel Elliott and darted to his right. Rams outside linebacker Clay Matthews pulled down Prescott after a seven-yard gain, forcing the Cowboys’ QB to fall on his throwing shoulder.

Prescott finished the game, never showing signs of a shoulder injury. After that play, Prescott was 14 of 20, passing for 206 yards, two touchdowns, no interceptions and a 136.7 passer rating.

“They did an MRI, and everything seems to be OK,” Garrett said of Prescott. “But he just banged it up, and it’s hard for him to function right now, so we don’t anticipate him throwing much in practice today.”

He actually didn’t throw at all during the early portion of practice open to reporters. Backup quarterback Cooper Rush handled all of the first-team reps. Prescott didn’t even use his right arm during pre-practice stretching.

Prescott wasn’t available in the locker room after Wednesday’s practice, but Elliott shared that the injury was to Prescott’s AC joint.

“Dak’s going to play,” Elliott said. “I think he’s just resting up by making sure that thing is right as it can be by game time. I’ve dealt with some AC joints, and they’re tough. I couldn’t imagine having to throw with it. But I know Dak. I know his toughness. I know he’ll play.

“It’s going to take a lot more than that to get Dak out of there. He’s a tough guy.”

Pro Bowl right guard Zack Martin concurred. “Knowing Dak, you’d have to kill him to keep him off the field.”

Rush said he injured the AC joint in his throwing shoulder during his senior year at Central Michigan. He was able to play the following week.

“After a few days it felt fine,” Rush said. “It’s a pretty universal QB injury. You just rest it for a few days, and it’s usually fine. That’s how I dealt with it. That’s how Dak is dealing with it. It’ll be all good.”

The injury appears to have come at the worst possible time for the Cowboys. If they win on Sunday in Philadelphia, they’ll be NFC East champions for the fourth time in the last six years. If they lose, the Eagles can win the division the following week by beating the three-win New York Giants. Even if Philadelphia were to lose that game, a Cowboys loss to three-win Washington would also award the division to the Eagles.

This Cowboys vs. Eagles matchup seems to be one that could be decided by quarterback play: Prescott vs. Carson Wentz. But when looking at the history of this rivalry since both players were drafted in 2016, that’s actually not the case.

Prescott is 5-2 against Philly while throwing eight touchdowns to seven interceptions and averaging 230 passing yards in those games. He has also rushed for three touchdowns.

Wentz, on the other hand, is 2-4 while throwing 11 touchdowns to two interceptions and averaging 232 passing yards per game.

Elliott and the running game have decided these matchups.

In the five games Elliott has been in the lineup for the Cowboys against the Eagles, Dallas is 5-0. In those games, Elliott has averaged 24 carries for 115 yards. He has never rushed for fewer than 96 yards against the Eagles. And in games when Elliott rushes for at least 96 yards in his career, the Cowboys are 24-5.

“I feel great about the run game,” the Pro Bowl back said Wednesday. “I feel good about this week. O-line definitely had one of their best games last week. Hopefully we’re starting to get this thing clicking. Got some good momentum and want to keep this thing rolling.”

The Cowboys’ best teams under Garrett have been those that have run the ball best. Dallas’ three previous playoff appearances have all come with the Cowboys having the NFL rushing champion on their roster. That’s unlikely this season, as Elliott trails Cleveland’s Nick Chubb by 220 yards with two games to play. But the Cowboys have been improving on the ground in recent weeks.

“I think as you get later on in the season, and you get into the colder-weather games, running the ball becomes more important,” Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick said. “Being able to run the ball becomes more important just because that’s kind of how the games flow. It’s something that we as an offense seem to, you’ve heard Coach Garrett talk about it, we try to eventually wear on teams.

“I think that running the ball, especially this late in the season, when guys are beat-up already, can help make the third and fourth quarters a little bit easier.”

And it’s not just about the offensive yardage statistics. Time of possession is also a factor, as it reduces the amount of time Dallas’ defense is on the field. There’s no question Prescott is having his best season as a passer, but with this particular group, the Cowboys have been more successful when Prescott passes less. Dallas is 5-0 when he attempts 32 or fewer passes, which includes a dominant 37-10 win over the Eagles at AT&T Stadium in October. Over the previous two seasons, the Cowboys were 14-6 when Prescott attempted 32 or fewer passes. Granted, teams pass more and run less when they’re trying to dig out of a deep deficit. But the contrast is stark.

Prescott’s shoulder injury was also noteworthy because Wednesday marked the first time in his Cowboys career that he was limited in practice. Prescott’s durability is an asset; he has started all 62 games of his career. But even during the week, he’s been extremely dependable. Here’s a look at Prescott’s injury history.

2016: He was never on the injury report.

2017: Week 14 (right hand). He was a full participant in every practice.

2018: Week 2 (ankle). He was a full participant in every practice.

2018: Divisional playoff round (knee). He was a full participant in every practice.

2019: Week 15 (hands). He was a full participant in every practice.

2019: Week 16 (shoulder). He was limited in Wednesday’s practice.

Elliott has been just as durable. Despite being involved in as many big hits as any other back over the last four seasons, Elliott has only missed one practice and never missed a game because of injury. Here’s his injury history.

2016: He was never on the injury report.

2017: Week 5 (chest). He was a full participant in every practice.

2018: Week 5 (knee). He was a full participant in every practice.

2018: Week 6 (knee). He was a full participant in every practice.

2018: Week 15 (shoulder). He did not practice Wednesday but was a full participant on Thursday and Friday.

2019: He has not been on the injury report.

“I mean, today is Wednesday, and I feel really good,” Elliott said. “It’s Week, what, 16? Normally I’m not feeling this well. I think we’ve done a great job just managing it throughout the season. Right now, it’s crunch time, so I’m ready for anything.”

Rookie running back Tony Pollard deserves credit for helping lighten Elliott’s load. Pollard should also be a factor in Philly. He’s coming off a career-high 131 rushing yards and a touchdown against the Rams, his second 100-yard game of the season. He’s rushed 70 times this season for 395 yards, an average of 5.6 per attempt.

But Sunday will be about Elliott, and he feels the Cowboys’ familiarity with the Eagles is a real advantage.

“I just don’t think there’s a lot of teams who could just line up in front of us and just beat us,” Elliott said. “We have very good personnel, a very good offensive line. If we know where they’re going to be, I think it’s tough for them to stop us.”

If they are able to establish him early and then wear down the Eagles in the second half, the Cowboys will be heading to the playoffs for the fourth time in the last six seasons.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Week: Eagles beat writers make their Cowboys game predictions
by Paul Domowitch, Jeff McLane, Les Bowen and EJ Smith, Updated: 40 minutes ago

Les Bowen

I was all set to pick the Cowboys by double digits before the Dak Prescott shoulder drama began to unfold. As I’m writing this, indications are that Prescott might not be seriously hampered. The game hinges on that, I think.

If Prescott is functional and you’re comparing healthy talent, Eagles roster vs. Cowboys roster, this is a mismatch. Somehow Dallas is 7-7, despite a plus-90 point differential, which ought to be impossible.T

I don’t think the Eagles are going to get a lot of guys back this week, and I definitely don’t think they’re going to get guys back who are truly healthy and ready to play their best. The pass rush was a trickle last week against a Washington offensive line not nearly as good as this Dallas group. There was poor tackling and inconsistent coverage against a struggling Washington offense that managed one of its best days of the season. If that’s how this game goes, look for a rout. But the Eagles’ defense has been good at home lately. I’m not picking a rout.

There is a path to winning this game for the Eagles, involving generating a robust run game, busting a few screens for big yardage, and not turning the ball over, while limiting Ezekiel Elliott and making Prescott’s arm beat them. But the group we’ve seen the past several weeks now is not one I trust to do these things consistently enough to win against a talented opponent.

I credit the Eagles for being resilient and tough, to get to this point. They’re going to need more than that on Sunday.

Prediction: Cowboys 32, Eagles 28

EJ Smith
This may be the most difficult pick I’ve had to make. There are plenty of reasons to think the Eagles can find a way to win this game. They’re playing at home, they know what’s at stake, and the Cowboys have looked beatable in the second half of the season.
Both of these teams have underperformed relative to their respective talent, but I still think the Cowboys are the better of the two. They have a handful of playmakers on the outside, a very good offensive line, and one of the best running backs in football. Dak Prescott’s shoulder issue could be a major factor, but I’m not sure the Eagles’ offense is any better equipped to win a shootout than the Cowboys, even if Prescott is limited.

The Eagles have skated by with practice-squad call-ups on offense the last two weeks, but it’s hard to look past the fact that they needed heroic drives from Carson Wentz to beat the New York Giants and Washington, two teams that have combined for six wins this season. Darius Slayton and Terry McLaurin are both good young receivers, but Amari Cooper is still easily the best of the three. He had five catches for 106 yards in the team’s first meeting of the season, and even though the secondary is much healthier this time around, I still don’t have any reason to believe he won’t be just as effective.

The best argument I can make for picking the Eagles is the “anything can happen in a rivalry game” adage we hear so often. But, as I’ve said before, I’m not one to make predictions based off weird things happening.

Prediction: Cowboys 28, Eagles 24

Jeff McLane

Normally, my Eagles predictions are a sure-fire way to know the opposite will happen, but I’ve been pretty much on the money this season, especially over the last few months. I didn’t see the Dolphins loss coming, but I thought it would be a close game. Other than that, the Eagles’ last seven games since the Cowboys loss have basically unfolded the way I thought.

The Eagles are essentially what they are at this point. They have a workmanlike offense that can get the job done as long as there aren’t too many turnovers and penalties, but it lacks explosiveness. They have an inconsistent defense that can offset coverage deficiencies with a strong pass rush, but if there isn’t pressure, look out.

The Eagles could hit on all cylinders -- anything is possible -- but that really hasn’t happened all season. The Cowboys, meanwhile, are more of an unknown variable. They have more talent. They have their coach’s future in the balance. But they’ve been hit or miss most weeks. When they’re on, as they were in the first meeting with the Eagles, they’re on. And when they’re not, it’s ugly, but still pretty close.
Dak Prescott’s shoulder injury could impact the game, but he said he’s good to go Thursday, so I’ll take his word. Ezekiel Elliott’s the key on offense, though. He’s had the Eagles’ number. Call it a hunch, but I think Jim Schwartz’s defense will be able to keep him in relative check. I still think Prescott and his receiving weapons, especially Amari Cooper, will have their shots down the field. They’ll score some points.
So that means Carson Wentz and the Eagles offense might have to score 4-5 times, maybe more. I don’t know if that’s possible, especially with Lane Johnson either out or less than 100 percent, and a collection of young, unproven receivers there for the taking. The Eagles will have the home-field and weather advantage, but I don’t think it will be enough.

Prediction: Cowboys 30, Eagles 23

Paul Domowitch

Two flawed 7-7 teams will face each other Sunday to essentially decide the NFC East title.

Both are good enough to win and bad enough to lose. The fact that the game is at the Linc isn’t much of an advantage for the Eagles given that the Cowboys have won four of the last five meetings there and the crowd is likely to turn on them the first time Cam Johnston comes out to punt.

Despite their season-long problems at wide receiver, I think the Eagles will be able to move the ball Sunday on the Cowboys’ defense. But they’re going to have to capitalize on every damn one of those 15-play, 75-yard, seven-minute drives. If Jake Elliott comes out to kick a field goal more than once in this game, they’re screwed.

I think they’re going to be able to run the ball and I think Doug Pederson has some tricks up his sleeve that he’s been saving just for this game.

But I don’t have any faith in the ability of Jim Schwartz’s defense to slow down the Cowboys offense or force some much-needed turnovers.

Ezekiel Elliott has pretty much owned the Eagles, and losing linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill to injury isn’t going to help change that.

Amari Cooper is playing on an injured knee, but the Cowboys also have Randall Cobb and Michael Gallup and tight end Jason Witten and Elliott and Tony Pollard out of the backfield.

Prediction: Cowboys 30, Eagles 20

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
he didn't seem to be in discomfort late in the game. maybe he woke up with it.

Top Bottom