DQ Report, Week 5 - The Shanahan Clinic

dpf1123

DCC 4Life
DQ Report, Week 5 - The Shanahan Clinic
Cowboys run into a team that had a perfect plan for Quinn's Cover 3.

BOB STURM
OCT 11, 2023

There was nothing enjoyable about Sunday for Dan Quinn and his defense.

They were pretty certain that this could not happen to them. They were wrong. The opponent who they thought they were prepared to face showed them how far away they are from dealing with the best in the business and being able to do something about it.

And, yes, Brock Purdy and the San Francisco 49ers were the best in the business on Sunday.

It is time to ignore his draft position, his boyish face, and slight build. It is time to simply put on the tape and give him the nod of approval. It is time to consider that the industrial draft complex may have missed big. Because 2022’s Mr. Irrelevant put on an aerial show against DQ and his men that looked like an unfair fight. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, or Peyton Manning could not have spun it better than we saw on Sunday.

As someone who watched him at Iowa State, this feels as unlikely as picking the right lottery numbers. The Senior Bowl didn’t invite him and 32 teams universally agreed this QB-starved league didn’t need to waste a pick. Not until they were starting to take down the stage decorations. It’s hard to believe this would be where the 49ers would end up with Purdy.

But, if you didn’t walk away from that game on Sunday night completely convinced that he fits that offensive schemed, then you are even more stubborn than me. I give in. Purdy appears to be the best QB Kyle Shanahan has had to work with since Matt Ryan was league MVP in 2016.

Look at this destruction:

If you want to consider the biggest beatdowns that Dan Quinn’s defense has ever taken, this one is easy. Jacksonville was pretty bad last December, but it wasn’t like this. This was a 40/400 game — 40 points and 400 yards with yards everywhere and even a suggestion of give-up by the end.

I suppose we give them some points for trying to stay alive in the first half long enough for the offense to get going, but overall, with just one sack and just one takeaway, we cannot shield the defense from their share of the spanking.

The 49ers were running free downfield and every first down run felt like a quick +8.

The stretch from 13:26 in the second quarter when the 49ers started their fifth drive until the 13:59 mark of the fourth quarter when they finished their 10th drive, the Cowboys defense had suffered a stretch of five touchdowns against in six drives.

In less than two quarters of football, that stretch of defensive malfunction brought back memories of Monte Kiffin and Mike Nolan’s worst days: 33 plays for 284 yards, which is nearly 9 yards per play against. Fifteen first downs. Five touchdowns.

We cannot talk about comparing these guys to the best defenses in Cowboys history, let alone NFL history, when Brock Purdy and his friends set you on fire.
Here is what is so odd about it – the defense has not been that bad in any of these previous playoff meetings. Take a look: the 42 points allowed in this game is the total of the two playoff games combined.

The yardage is in the normal range and they had answers for most of the 49ers threats to a certain extent. We should point out though, that Shanahan’s design is seemingly mistake-proof against Dan Quinn.

Three games with Micah Parsons and friends and Dallas has three sacks and one interception. If the Cowboys defense is based on assaulting the QB and making big plays behind it, yet in these three critical matchups with the 49ers, they can’t do either at all? Very ominous sign about whether they are truly ready for prime time.
So what makes the 49ers this impossible test?

They have the design and they have the talent. When we look around the league, we know there are many iterations of how to play offense, but the one that you know I keep coming back to is what Shanahan has built in San Francisco as my favorite. Let’s go down some attributes quickly to make sure everyone understands the beauty:
  • They marry the run game with the play-action pass game in such a way that it pushes the defense into choices where it cannot be right. In other words, so many of the plays are built on the defense choosing its punishment. Then offense the obliges.
  • They use shifts and motion to force the defense to demonstrate that they understand their assignments in real-time and at real speed. They are constantly trying to confuse and confound and clearly are experts.
  • They use horizontal as much as vertical to stretch a defense to its limits.
  • They are designed to force you into zones with their personnel too good for man coverage and then have conceived multitudes of zone beaters in every game plan.
  • They have built a roster than spends nothing on QB and then specifically target skill position players who are elite in their abilities, similar in ages, and interchangeable in positions. WRs who can play RB. RBs who can play WR. The TE’s and the FB’s are great blockers, but also fine receivers who can destroy matchups because they are always moving around.
  • And finally, maybe the big one: The offense seldom beats itself. They seem to run all that they run without really risking the ball or asking their QB to take a beating. The ball is out fast and you can barely get to him.
Guys, they put on this clinic with a QB who nobody regarded and an offensive line that has four guys up front you have never heard of and Trent Williams who is an awesome left tackle, but he is in season 14 and 35 years old.

Their build makes no sense and infinite sense all at the same time. They hired Kyle Shanahan and allowed him to hire his own GM, John Lynch, with a clear vision of what they wanted to create and what type of players it would take. Of course there were many mistakes and trial and error, but tell me it doesn’t look like they have finally found the perfect combination to wreck the league.

In other words, don’t you wish your team was on the cutting edge of football innovation at some point? It looks like a lot of fun.

NEXT GEN BROCK PURDY THROW CHART

What a laser show. I watched him in the playoff game with really only two or three moments where it looked like he was actually playing QB and not a careful bus driver.
Sunday wasn’t that. It was a QB throwing down the field and punishing the Cowboys coverage. You want to hear I was wrong on Brock Purdy?

I was wrong.

This was as impressive a QB performance I have seen against the Cowboys in a very long time.
SPLASH PLAYS - WEEK 5

Shout out to Jourdan Lewis for a ridiculous play that properly was a double-splash, but there wasn’t much good to behold.
—-
The 49ers personnel groupings show us an absurd performance level regardless of what they called. It literally didn’t matter. It all worked.

Next Gen has a way to look at success vs coverages, so I dug into those numbers to see where the most damage was done.

This is first down only and look at the 49ers passing game against the Cowboys Cover 3. I will remind you that 158.3 is a perfect QB rating in the NFL. 14.9 yards per attempt is hilariously good.

Here are the coverages on all downs, just so you can look it over.

Think this through. Cover 3 and middle-field closed coverages were all the rage the last decade, starting when Seattle was running the NFL. Dan Quinn, right? Then, you have Shanahan coming up against that defense designing as many Cover-3 beating concepts as he can come up with (with Mike McDaniel, Sean McVay, and Matt LaFleur all sitting together having beers somewhere).

It makes sense that tendencies would put Dallas in Cover 1/3 on 1st-and-10 and that the entire 49ers game plan was designed to wreck it.

The numbers verify it. Let’s check a little film to confirm it and this might be the most frustrating film study you will ever witness.

Every play below is a first down play against Cover 3. Seven plays and they are all the exact same circumstances. The 49ers know what Dallas does on first down against these personnel groupings and have specific plans to carve it to bits.

FILM STUDY

1Q - 13:15 - 1st and 10 - DAL 44 - B.Purdy pass short right to B.Aiyuk pushed ob at DAL 33 for 11 yards
First drive. 21 personnel, double-shift into a very threatening run look that gets everyone on the defense to respect it. That leaves the three DBs who are properly worried about Deebo and Aiyuk. Aiyuk is down here vs Gilmore and as you would expect on first down, Gilmore is giving a nice cushion. So, with no pressure on either QB or receiver, let’s play some pitch and catch for 11 free yards.

1Q - 11:16 - 1st and 10 - DAL 19 - B.Purdy pass deep right to G.Kittle for 19 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
Moments later, it is first down again. 11 personnel vs the same coverage and since Gilmore is occupied with Aiyuk again, Purdy knows that once Kittle (the No. 3 to the top) clears the middle field safety, he has nothing but space between the goal-post and the pylon in the near corner. It isn’t an easy throw, but it is a safe throw where either it is a touchdown or incomplete. Offense without danger, Purdy is confident and puts it right on his awesome tight end for the first of many touchdowns. Malik Hooker is expecting Markquese Bell to run with Kittle and Bell looks like he busted a bit.

1Q - 1:41 - 1st and 15 - DAL 36 - B.Purdy pass incomplete deep middle to B.Aiyuk (S.Gilmore).
Third drive, 49ers marching, again. First-and-15 this time, but everything else is the same. Double shifts again and it is all to get Aiyuk inside of Gilmore. The 49ers want the eyes of the defense to follow McCaffrey so that Gilmore has no help. The moment you get inside leverage, Purdy throws the dig. This time, the throw is not great and Gilmore breaks it up. But, you can definitely see the plan here.

2Q - 13:26 - 1st and 10 - DAL 38 - B.Purdy pass deep right to G.Kittle for 38 yards, TOUCHDOWN
First play of the fifth drive and it will be a one-play drive.

This is just football poetry as the 49ers have you convinced this is a run. Then you see, no, its a reverse. Wait, no its a flea flicker and the lead blocker on the run is actually the primary receiver down the sideline.

Jourdan Lewis is to deal with Kittle, but Lewis is trying to keep track of all the different ideas this presents. He is lost. Purdy, however, makes a very nice and accurate throw into the space that Kittle needs and it is the prettiest touchdown play we have seen in a few hours. Oh yeah, the Cover 3? Watch Aiyuk clear Gilmore and Jayron Kearse right out of that side of the field. The designs are so great.

And yes, Detroit and Ben Johnson (remember the name) ran the exact same play a few hours before. And I mean exact same play.

Isn’t football awesome?

Ok, Three more. All first downs, all against Quinn’s Cover 3.

2Q - 7:45 - 1st and 10 - SF 25 - B.Purdy pass short left to B.Aiyuk to SF 40 for 15 yards (M.Hooker).
Watch Malik Hooker here. He is the middle field safety and he is about tired of this repeated thrashing. He knows what the 49ers are doing here and he wants to stop it. He knows the outside receiver will clear out the corner with a vertical and then the inside Aiyuk is going to run a variation of the exact same route and will have inside leverage on his guy (No. 1 Kearse) for an easy pitch and catch from Purdy. So, Hooker is going to dive bomb and get to it. Trouble is, Purdy throws with anticipation and it is there before Hooker can get down on it. He must be seeing red by this point.

2Q - 3:24 - 1st and Goal - DAL 10 - B.Purdy pass short right to D.Samuel to DAL 1 for 9 yards
Again, you stay in Cover 3 because the run game is killing you, too. But here the 49ers are just toying with you. They put Deebo in the backfield and McCaffrey at WR. Then motion Deebo out knowing it is him vs Vander Esch and he is just running the Texas Route for a red zone touchdown. Well, not quite, but Shanahan is not running out of ideas in this coaching clinic vs Quinn.

3Q - 11:53 - 1st and 15 - SF 20 - B.Purdy pass deep middle to B.Aiyuk to SF 43 for 23 yards
Finally, the first drive of the second half. I believe this is the last time the 49ers saw a Cover 3 on a first down, or at least the last time they threw a pass against it. Trips left, double motion right leaving Aiyuk and Gilmore. Same situation and same route. Hooker is telling Gilmore what is happening and Vander Esch is cheating back to cover the dig. Brock Purdy is so confident at this point that I am not even sure this is a good idea, but why not? He is on a heater and he knows that route cannot be covered well, so he is going to trust his offense and put the ball where it is supposed to go. Aiyuk gets inside Gilmore again (because Gilmore is by himself now) and the throw is superb.

Guys, I know this seldom happens, but I am speechless.

Kyle Shanahan is exactly who they said he was. Brock Purdy is so much better than they said he was.

And Dan Quinn better come up with a better idea. And before you tell me Trevon Diggs would have changed things, let’s remember, they barely even bothered attacking DaRon Bland’s side. Didn’t even have to get into that plan. They knew the coverages and they knew the coverage beaters.

Also, now the prospect of no Leighton Vander Esch is a killer. They have almost no linebackers on their roster, so I am curious if they are forced to be pragmatic and to push Micah back there. Not great roster management if you didn’t have injury cover for a player who is pretty injury prone, but LVE is a coach on the field and that can’t just be replaced with a man on the streets. Pretty dire.

Admittedly, this one was no fun to write or read. But, it was impressive to study and a demonstration of what this sport can be at its highest level of schematic design.

data

Forbes #1
Roast me for this, but 49ers are going to two of next three Super Bowls. Some of you still unimpressed, but Purdy is Top 5 QB right now and would be high-level performer even if on a lesser team like Chargers, Bills or, Steelers.

Last edited:

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
Never fear Cowboy fans. In contrast to the Shanahan brain trust, you've got our intrepid HC, Mike McCarthy, who says this:

"But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it. That’s not a slight against the offense. We want to score as many points as everybody and we’re not playing not to lose, so don’t mix the message here. But we play to our defense. That’s the strength of our team. And by doing that, the time of possession, taking care of the football . . ."

Coach McCarthy, got some news for you. When you count on your defense to keep you in games, when you emphasize time of possession and "taking care of the football" -- guess what, Mike? THAT'S PLAYING NOT TO LOSE!

If I'm the owner/GM, I call McCarthy in and say, "Why don't I just fire your fat ass and make Dan Quinn the HC?"

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Roast me for this, but 49ers are going to two of next three Super Bowls. Some of you still unimpressed, but Purdy is Top 5 QB right now and would be high-level performer even if on a lesser team like Chargers, Bills or, Steelers.
Well I’ve been hoping for him to fall on his ass because there isn’t a team I despise more - but it hasn’t happened, and sadly he looks like the real deal.

p1_

DCC 4Life
taking note of post ID for later reference.

data

Forbes #1
Well I’ve been hoping for him to fall on his ass because there isn’t a team I despise more - but it hasn’t happened, and sadly he looks like the real deal.
49ers have knocked on the door so many times and have been fortunate enough for them to stay even at 5 SBs. 2 nail biting SB losses and 5 NFCC losses since 1995 (3 of which down to final min)

But when we can’t even reach the NFCC, it’s foolish to think we’ll stay equals forever. They’ll get their sixth, get the gloating rights and we’ll have to deal with being this century’s Cleveland Browns of past glory.

Past ten years it’s been exhausting to root against the Packers getting #5 but seemingly we’ve prevailed with Rodgers gone. But I don’t think we can escape 49ers #6 any longer.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Eagles grounded his ass, dont forget. He's played well, but the whole draft status thing has catapulted him to great height.
I reserve anointing until he completes this season at a minimum.

data

Forbes #1
The Eagles grounded his ass, dont forget. He's played well, but the whole draft status thing has catapulted him to great height.
I hate his celebratory growl. It’s more annoying than Daunte Culpepper’s arm rolling. Goddamn twerp

data

Forbes #1
taking note of post ID for later reference.
I’ll do whatever it takes to appeal the football gods once again. Avatar bet. From SB conclusion to 2024 season opener. 49ers win SB for your avatar, any other of 31 teams win SB for my avatar.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Never fear Cowboy fans. In contrast to the Shanahan brain trust, you've got our intrepid HC, Mike McCarthy, who says this:

"But this team is about defense. Let’s make no bones about it. That’s not a slight against the offense. We want to score as many points as everybody and we’re not playing not to lose, so don’t mix the message here. But we play to our defense. That’s the strength of our team. And by doing that, the time of possession, taking care of the football . . ."

Coach McCarthy, got some news for you. When you count on your defense to keep you in games, when you emphasize time of possession and "taking care of the football" -- guess what, Mike? THAT'S PLAYING NOT TO LOSE!

If I'm the owner/GM, I call McCarthy in and say, "Why don't I just fire your fat ass and make Dan Quinn the HC?"
For that to happen, or anything to change the overall outlook for this team Jerry would have to have a fucking clue as a NFL GM…and, well….28 years of shitting the bed means we ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
People are very bad at separating the individual talent from the holistic system the individual is playing in, particularly when it comes to QB and particularly when it comes to the best designed offenses.

Shannahan should've won a SB against Mahomes with Garoppolo dragging his ass around the field and their surrounding offensive talent has only improved since then, their offense has almost nothing to do with Purdy.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I doubt Shanahan would agree with you. He’s played incredibly and makes very few mistakes.
Sure, theoretically every single player has an important role to play and Purdy has played well within the system, my point is that he's an interchangeable piece. Moreso of an interchangeable piece than someone like McCaffrey, Deebo, Trent Williams or any number of defensive players.

They wouldn't miss a beat if their starting QB was any one of 10-15 guys around the league.

Garoppolo is barely even a starting caliber QB and they should've won a Super Bowl with him against Patrick f'ing Mahomes. And without McCaffrey for Christ's sake.

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Sure, theoretically every single player has an important role to play and Purdy has played well within the system, my point is that he's an interchangeable piece. Moreso of an interchangeable piece than someone like McCaffrey, Deebo, Trent Williams or any number of defensive players.

They wouldn't miss a beat if their starting QB was any one of 10-15 guys around the league.

Garoppolo is barely even a starting caliber QB and they should've won a Super Bowl with him against Patrick f'ing Mahomes. And without McCaffrey for Christ's sake.

Maybe, but it’s also possible that Purdy is making all of those players around him better. It’s easy to wave away all of his success by attributing it to the system but his ability to step up in the pocket and make good throws has been impressive.. Equally impressive is the lack of mistakes and the confidence he has. As we’ve seen with Dak, it’s the throws you don‘t make that can keep a team in the game, That was some of the problem with Jimmy G. They don’t have those problems anymore.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe, but it’s also possible that Purdy is making all of those players around him better. It’s easy to wave away all of his success by attributing it to the system but his ability to step up in the pocket and make good throws has been impressive.. Equally impressive is the lack of mistakes and the confidence he has. As we’ve seen with Dak, it’s the throws you don‘t make that can keep a team in the game, That was some of the problem with Jimmy G. They don’t have those problems anymore.
Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection :Priority free agent

Overview

Four-year starter who was never able to improve upon a stellar sophomore campaign. Purdy is a burly pocket quarterback who needs a play-action based offense where he can rely on timing over release quickness and arm strength. He can be a confident passer when he finds his rhythm, but throwing is more of a chore than a talent thanks to a labored release. Certain areas of the field will be off limits as he moves up to take on NFL coverage talent. He's a scrappy runner but not dynamic enough to make up for his shortcomings as a passer.

Strengths
  • Four-year starter and team leader.
  • Different quarterback when he finds his rhythm.
  • Makes his way through progressions.
  • Strong hands allow for easy pump fakes to move defenders.
  • Generally accurate passer between the numbers.
  • Confident throwing over linebackers and in front of safeties.
  • Good toughness and anticipation as a runner.
  • Willing to dive to move the chains.
Weaknesses
  • Pocket setup lacks quickness.
  • Field blinders occasionally rob him of seeing the big play.
  • Delivery is labored.
  • Lacks timing to beat NFL corners outside the numbers.
  • Shies away from tight-window throws.
  • Ball needs to come out sooner on deep-ball shots.
  • Confidence and consistency have been issues.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Teams don't value starting experience nearly enough. Live snaps for 3 or 4 seasons is a big deal at QB. You just can't get the same out of practice. And once in the NFL you're not getting 3 or 4 years as a starter before they expect you to be be great.

Top Bottom