Do you guys remember when

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In theory, comparing a QB's Super Bowl appearances aren't the best indicator, sure. Using this to say Tony Romo is 'right along side' Dan Marino? No.

Whether the Dolphins' sank/swam highly depended on Marino's performance (comparable to Romo), Marino was on a higher level.
Not really.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Some who come to mind are......John Unitas, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Bobby Lane, Roger Staubach, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, John Elway Kurt Warner, Tony Romo! Drew Brees. There are more but that is my immediate response.

Throw in Peyton Manning as well.

Last edited:

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Some who come to mind are......John Unitas, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Bobby Lane, Roger Staubach, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, John Elway Kurt Warner, Tony Romo! Drew Brees. There are more but that is my immediate response.

Throw in Peyton Manning as well.
I'm a huge Romo fan but he won't sniff the HOF. It's a shame but he did come up small in multiple situations where we should have advanced. True he didn't have as many chances as some due to issues with talent acquisition. But it is what it is. He will be considered the 3rd best Cowboys QB of all time likely for a short period of time if Dak progresses from his already lofty position. Then he'll be fourth and eventually be forgotten in the conversation as Danny White was/has.

midswat

... soon
Yeah Dak has one great year. Let's go ahead and pencil him higher than Romo in Cowboys lore.

townsend

Banned
When Dak owns Romo's records I will pencil him in.
The big thing to me is if he can continue to stay healthy and close in late season games.

4 playoff appearances in 10 years is a pretty poor percentage, and the sad fact is that in 2008,2011,2012, and 2013 we were one win away from a playoff spot.

Even if Dak never puts up some of Tony's eye-popping numbers, if he can lead this team to the playoffs consistently that's an upgrade. Of course since he has an online with 3 all-pros, he's a lot less likely to get beat up in his early career the way Romo did.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We are not on the same page. I am reviewing Romo as a position player only. The goals like playoff games and Super Bowls are team efforts and can't be attributed only to a Quarterback. The closest things that can be attributed to a players position such as a Quarterback are stats having to do with the passing game. Of course there contributing factors there as well but the end result begins with the QB.

I am evaluating Romo from that view and seeing how he holds the records for performance as a position player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are not on the same page. I am reviewing Romo as a position player only. The goals like playoff games and Super Bowls are team efforts and can't be attributed only to a Quarterback. The closest things that can be attributed to a players position such as a Quarterback are stats having to do with the passing game. Of course there contributing factors there as well but the end result begins with the QB.

I am evaluating Romo from that view and seeing how he holds the records for performance as a position player.
So for you it's

1. Tony Romo
2. Troy Aikman
3. Roger Staubach
4. Danny White

Yikes

vince

Not So New Member

I agree Super Bowls don't define a QB but the same argument can be made for stats i.e. having a great receiver who can gain big yards after the catch. You would have to consider both things IMO.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree Super Bowls don't define a QB but the same argument can be made for stats i.e. having a great receiver who can gain big yards after the catch. You would have to consider both things IMO.
And with a QB you have to ask yourself what stats matter? Is it all about yards (You'd have to be an idiot to think this)? Is it about QBR or Quarterback rating? Is it completion percentage, yards per completion, yards per attempt, TD to INT ratio? There are more stats for QBs probably than any other position.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah I think I interjected that same thought.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And with a QB you have to ask yourself what stats matter? Is it all about yards (You'd have to be an idiot to think this)? Is it about QBR or Quarterback rating? Is it completion percentage, yards per completion, yards per attempt, TD to INT ratio? There are more stats for QBs probably than any other position.
You are missing the point. Its evaluating a Quarterback strictly as a position player. It not what matters. We all know what matters is winning and obtaining championships. But I was asked what is my top 10 Quarter Backs and I responded with my couched criteria for the selections. That being how did the individual perform overall at that position notwithstanding what the team accomplished. And that is my opinion for which I was asked. Of course others will differ but that's why they make a variety of ice cream flavors.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are missing the point. Its evaluating a Quarterback strictly as a position player. It not what matters. We all know what matters is winning and obtaining championships. But I was asked what is my top 10 Quarter Backs and I responded with my couched criteria for the selections. That being how did the individual perform overall at that position notwithstanding what the team accomplished. And that is my opinion for which I was asked. Of course others will differ but that's why they make a variety of ice cream flavors.
The easiest way to judge a QB's performance is based on winning and losing games though. That's probably the best indicator of a QB's performance.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Ok but how do you factor in Aikman who sacrificed personal stats for the betterment of the team?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ok but how do you factor in Aikman who sacrificed personal stats for the betterment of the team?
No I didn't. I only utilized what they did at the position they played. There is no way to evaluate those factors. I get what all these questions are about but those are more toward players that were on teams that accomplished a lot. Those individuals are favorites because the benefit from the winner emotion.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Top Bottom