Do you guys remember when

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
True and I don't disagree but Marino still was a better position player.
There's no way to know that because...Aikman put the team first

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There's no way to know that because...Aikman put the team first
I said up front I am not evaluating intangibles. I am not declaring who might be best with all intangibles thrown in. I made a list of individuals who I think-exceeded at the position. No more no less. Wins and losses , championships, etc. are not in the mix. Just how they played the position. It's not a debate for me it's a personal opinion based on the individual.

data

Forbes #1
How do playoff stats compare for Romo, Aikman, Staubach and White.

Probably better indicator as less variance in strength of opponent, quality of team, importance of game, etc...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How do Romo's playoff stats compare vs Aikman's, Staubach's & White's.
Not a factor for me because the position is played by an individual all the regular season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure and that's why Marino isn't the greatest QB of all time despite the stats.
Didn't say he was the QB of all times. He is one of my choices for one of the best performers at the QB position.

data

Forbes #1
Didn't say he was the QB of all times. He is one of my choices for one of the best performers at the QB position.
Out of curiousity, how high on your list is Philip Rivers? Top 10-ish as you had Romo? Or far below Romo?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sure and that's why Marino isn't the greatest QB of all time despite the stats.
He's way, way up there, though. Until Rodgers and Brady I thought he might be co-#1 with Montana, of people I've seen play.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
GOAT QBs

1. Montana
2. Marino
3. Brady
4. Aikman
5. Staubach
6. Fouts
7. Stabler
8. Romo
9. Moon
10. Unitas

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Stat wise I think it's more:
1. Romo
2. White
3. Aikman
4. Staubach

:unsure

midswat

... soon
GOAT QBs

1. Montana
2. Marine
3. Brady
4. Aikman
5. Staubach
6. Fouts
7. Stabler
8. Romo
9. Moon
10. Unitas
Just goes to show how varying fan opinions can be. For my money, Elway is the greatest of all time and he doesn't even crack your top 10.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Just goes to show how varying fan opinions can be. For my money, Elway is the greatest of all time and he doesn't even crack your top 10.
Had to be a simple mistake, right? Elway has to be on there somewhere.

But then Rodgers isn't on there, either. I think he's definitely an all-time great.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There's more than 10 all-time great QB's.

All I know is the art of passing the football keeps improving. It's not the rules- (not since 1978), it's the players, conditioning, and years of being coached with the right techniques. With the saturation and popularity of the sport, everyone just expects more. I've seen this very thing happen with software development skills and expectations companies have of college grads.

In the 70's most QB's weren't expected to be accurate even after the rules changes in 1978, and deep passes were primarily used to back off defenses. No one ever expected to actually complete them. There were always exceptions like Unitas, but most completely sucked by today's standards.

Pro QB's today can put the ball anywhere they want to, and they practice year-round. They've been practicing most of their lives. It's like a night and day comparison. WR's have to be thrown off pattern/covered and pressure needs to be constant or QB's will play pitch and catch.

Now almost all QB's are accurate on ins, deep posts, and crosses giving athletes room to make big plays. Back in the 70's you mainly expected to get hit with someone's helmet, not be hit in stride with the football.

data

Forbes #1
You have no credibility if your Top 10 list doesn't start like this:
1. Otto Graham healthy
2. Otto Graham sick
3. Otto Graham dead

Top Bottom