Do you guys remember when

townsend

Banned
Happened against Detroit too. It's weird. It's like the defensive game plan sucks fairly often, bit we're pretty good at mid game defensive adjustments.
The opposite happened in Green Bay, we had Rodgers pretty well neutralized for the first half of the game in the 2014 division round.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's very hard to project who will be what but what NFC team sticks out as a huge threat?
I like our chances against anyone individually, but we might lose HFA to the Falcons who play the Fins, Jets, and Bills while we play some nasty AFC teams including a desperate Philip Rivers.

The bottom line is the playoffs are a QB's game. We can't rely on Zeke to carry the day and Dak can't make an unforced interception.

We have no pass rushers to speak of when we face the Rodgers' and Ryans of the conference. We have to outscore them, hence we must dictate offensively and not be content to take what the defense gives.

The great QB's don't do that, and that's the essential difference.

midswat

... soon
I don't get the people who point to the rest of the NFC and say no one got better and the good ones got worse, but assume we'll be the same team. Like we don't have a plethora of question marks ourselves.

I'm telling you.... and you all already know this: in today's parity driven league, seasons like last year are rare, and we Garrett pissed it away.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
In game adjustments are normal in the NFL.
Umm ok?

Not seeing where I said otherwise. My point is the contrast is striking in some of our games. Where we can't stop Detroit for instance to save our lives. And then suddenly they barely score again. Same thing happened at the playoffs against Green Bay. An adjustment is one thing but to go from they score on us at will too almost nothing is curious when it happens as often as it does with us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Umm ok?

Not seeing where I said otherwise. My point is the contrast is striking in some of our games. Where we can't stop Detroit for instance to save our lives. And then suddenly they barely score again. Same thing happened at the playoffs against Green Bay. An adjustment is one thing but to go from they score on us at will too almost nothing is curious when it happens as often as it does with us.
I think that's bound to happen sometimes when you're constantly trying to outscheme the other team because you lack the talent to just line up and dominate.

vince

Not So New Member
Umm ok?

Well with a shoddy defense like ours last season, it seems like we needed to play with a reactive type of defensive plan rather than a proactive one. I don't agree with it. But it's clear that's what it was. We didn't have the talent to enforce our will on the opponents.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The real issue is that he keeps making all of these mistakes that you brush off as saying that anybody can make those. Look back and you will see that he never learns from them because it keeps happening. Just simple fundamental mistakes that shouldnt happen.
That's the biggest issue -- the guy is still making the exact same mistakes and errors in judgement that he was making back in 2011.

The other glaring flaw of his, as [MENTION=20]Angrymesscan[/MENTION] pointed out, is that he doesn't have any feel whatsoever for the ebb and flow of a game.

He's been in the NFL for over 20 years and been a HC for over 7, but yet the guy still hasn't gotten any better in either of those aspects.

And it is because of those very two flaws that he called a timeout when he absolutely shouldn't have.

I can't say that it's impossible to win a Superbowl with him, but I also recognize that his shortcomings as a coach are capable of derailing a season in which we are legitimate Super Bowl contenders.

We've already seen it hurt us in both playoff games vs GB in recent years, and in both of those seasons we had a legitimate shot to reach the Super Bowl.

junk

Not So New Member
He's gonna end up long term comparable to a guy like Marvin Lewis IMO. Though hopefully Garrett can get a Super Bowl ring or two. The Cowboys FO structure at this point in time is maybe better than the Bengals FO structure (though that's not saying much).
Marvin Lewis is a great comparison. That is kind of what Garrett is. Why is that something to defend though? Lewis is pretty terrible and so is Garrett.

I'd rather have an upgrade. I'd rather have a coaching advantage on game day.

I guess if you want a mediocre coach that just hangs around for a decade plus and doesn't really do anything, Garrett or Lewis are probably great. Personally, I'd rather try to win some Super Bowls.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
And I'd say Lewis has had some big advantages over Garrett, namely a franchise QB his entire tenure save the one year when Romo was hurt. Lewis did have Palmer before he sort of took off, but I wouldn't call Dalton a franchise QB. More a glorified bus driver.

Not to mention Garrett has had the richest franchise in pro football while Lewis has had one of the poorest and cheapest.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Marvin Lewis is a great comparison. That is kind of what Garrett is. Why is that something to defend though? Lewis is pretty terrible and so is Garrett.

I'd rather have an upgrade. I'd rather have a coaching advantage on game day.

I guess if you want a mediocre coach that just hangs around for a decade plus and doesn't really do anything, Garrett or Lewis are probably great. Personally, I'd rather try to win some Super Bowls.
This is spot on how I feel about Garrett. If you're okay with mediocrity, he is your coach. If you truly want to have a shot at the Lombardi, we need to look elsewhere.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am so ready for football. We could be seeing some exhibition games in less than a month. No don't turn your nose up at that because it beats what we are seeing now. :happydance

townsend

Banned
I am so ready for football. We could be seeing some exhibition games in less than a month. No don't turn your nose up at that because it beats what we are seeing now. :happydance
Also the sooner these players get into camp the less likely they are to run someone down with their car.

midswat

... soon
Yeah if you look at most of the coaches who struggle around the league, they all typically have QB problems.

Garrett was gifted a franchise QB and still toiled in mediocrity for years. Wasted primes of a number of likely hall of famers.

He's pure trash imo.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Funny how Romo was consistently shit on for being a choker, stat compiler, etc... But when he's needed to help in the argument against Garrett, he's a franchise QB.

townsend

Banned
Yeah if you look at most of the coaches who struggle around the league, they all typically have QB problems.

Garrett was gifted a franchise QB and still toiled in mediocrity for years. Wasted primes of a number of likely hall of famers.

He's pure trash imo.
That's why Sean Payton has never had a mediocre season or an early playoff exit.

He definitely never got beaten by a 7-9 Seattle team in the first round of the playoffs, he definitely didn't have 3 consecutive losing seasons with a HOF QB under center.

midswat

... soon
Funny how Romo was consistently shit on for being a choker, stat compiler, etc... But when he's needed to help in the argument against Garrett, he's a franchise QB.
I never referred to him as a choker or a stat compiler, so you're barking up the wrong tree. But I'm sure if you were ever bored enough you can find countless posts of mine at that other board I used to post on how Romo carried this team. How Romo never had a 1k back, never had a quality defense, and how 90% of Cowboys highlights were him making magic on broken plays. We would've been 5-11 or worse most of Garretts years, had it not been for Romo.

That's why Sean Payton has never had a mediocre season or an early playoff exit.

He definitely never got beaten by a 7-9 Seattle team in the first round of the playoffs, he definitely didn't have 3 consecutive losing seasons with a HOF QB under center.
No, he has. But you know what else he has? Several division titles, playoff wins, and a Super Bowl trophy.

Got that SB trophy by making one of the gutsiest calls in NFL history with that onside kick coming out of the half.

townsend

Banned
No, he has. But you know what else he has? Several division titles, playoff wins, and a Super Bowl trophy.

Got that SB trophy by making one of the gutsiest calls in NFL history with that onside kick coming out of the half.
Nearly every criticism you can lodge against Garrett parallels similar criticisms that can be made of Payton. He's coming off of 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons (a couple of which were with Rob Ryan as D.C.) for God's sake. He's had multiple embarrass playoff exits, and almost never makes it past the divisional round. He's spent his entire tenure in NO with a QB that's superior to Romo, and that hasn't stopped him from languishing in mediocrity.

So any criticism against Garrett, which should not include a lack of gutsyness, can't prove he's unable to win a SB, if it can also be applied to a SB winning coach.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nearly every criticism you can lodge against Garrett parallels similar criticisms that can be made of Payton. He's coming off of 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons (a couple of which were with Rob Ryan as D.C.) for God's sake. He's had multiple embarrass playoff exits, and almost never makes it past the divisional round. He's spent his entire tenure in NO with a QB that's superior to Romo, and that hasn't stopped him from languishing in mediocrity.

So any criticism against Garrett, which should not include a lack of gutsyness, can't prove he's unable to win a SB, if it can also be applied to a SB winning coach.
People put way too much of wins and losses on a head coach. In my opinion the coordinators and play callers are more important when it comes to wins and losses. And frankly the biggest factor is talent. It's why the Ravens are mediocre even though they have the same head coach and QB that took them to a Superbowl.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
People put way too much of wins and losses on a head coach. In my opinion the coordinators and play callers are more important when it comes to wins and losses. And frankly the biggest factor is talent. It's why the Ravens are mediocre even though they have the same head coach and QB that took them to a Superbowl.
It's because the HC sets the gameplan. What is practiced that week, etc. Which makes sense in those games we were getting smoked early, and Marinelli chucked the gameplan and adjusted to get us right.

midswat

... soon

Garrett only has two embarrassing playoff exits. Because despite being head coach for 7 years, he's only got us in twice.

I'm not making an argument for Payton as a great coach. Maybe brees is too old. Maybe Payton's message has grown stale in that organization. Maybe the saints roster is deplete and Benson is a bad owner.

But I do know when Payton was hired, and Brees was in his prime, he wasted no time getting the Saints to the NFC Championship (first year as HC IIRC) and a few years later a Super Bowl win.

It's not my job nor do I have an interest in convincing you or anyone that Garrett is a loser, and we'll never win a SB with him. Time will prove that. You'll see.

Top Bottom