Dak Watch Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

They're either full of shit and lying or complete morons for not being able to get it done sooner if Dak was indeed willing to sign a deal built around those parameters.
Regardless the fucking idiots should have probably talked like over the last week. Considering Coopers deal went past the free agency deadline it wouldn't surprise me if they ran out of time.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
If we were truly invested in Dak, then we would’ve gotten this deal done over a year ago. It’s obvious that we aren’t, and we came up with a series of offers which we knew he’d turn down. It may sound weird since we were offering more years, but this was about strategy and leverage. Jerry and Stephen look less foolish by stating that they offered more money to Dak than less.

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Can someone explain how the deadline works?

Seems arbitrary and unnecessary to say they cant negotiate past 5 pm today. Let the franchise tag kick in and leave open the door for negotiation.

I dont get the finality of today

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Seems arbitrary and unnecessary to say they cant negotiate past 5 pm today. Let the franchise tag kick in and leave open the door for negotiation.

Yeah I guess it's a way to try and get deals done but seems kind of silly.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I hope this holds up because it would be a laughing point for everyone if they give in to his demands. The franchise would be labeled an easy mark. Elliot then Dak.
Insert Amari.

data

Forbes #1

I’m guessing here, but I think the $31M for this year 2020 is now locked and nothing can change this (assuming Dak plays and doesn’t holdout).

For example, both parties can continue to negotiate, but any new contract will begin 2021 season. Even if contract signed today (effective 2021) for $50M signing bonus and Dak cashes a $50M check today, $31M will remain the cap hit for 2020 season and the attribution of the $50M signing bonus will being 2021.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I’m guessing here, but I think the $31M for this year locked and nothing can change this (assuming Dak plays and doesn’t holdout).

For example, both parties can continue to negotiate, but any new contract will begin 2022 season. Even if contract signed today for $50M signing bonus and Dak cashes a $50M check today, $31M will remain the cap hit for 2021 season and the attribution of the $50M signing bonus will being 2022.
No, they can't even negotiate. It has to wait until season's end.

Cotton

Staff member
Regardless, even if they could, how stupid would they be to negotiate a contract a year in advance? No business person would ever do that. Too much could change in a year to even consider the basics, let alone the money.

data

Forbes #1
Regardless, even if they could, how stupid would they be to negotiate a contract a year in advance? No business person would ever do that. Too much could change in a year to even consider the basics, let alone the money.
what do you mean?

I don’t know the history of all QBs but, Just recently, As I understand it, Kirk Cousins and Mahomes recent contracts are tacked onto their existing contract that expires at the end of this season and 2021 season, respectively.

Cotton

Staff member
what do you mean?

I don’t know the history of all QBs but, Just recently, As I understand it, Kirk Cousins and Mahomes recent contracts are tacked onto their existing contract that expires at the end of this season and 2021 season, respectively.
Yes, but there is a window for negotiating.

data

Forbes #1
Yes, but there is a window for negotiating.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding you...please clarify.

you said that, regardless of ability to negotiate or not, it’s stupid to negotiate a contract a year in advance.

Mahomes contract isn’t effective until two full seasons, 2020 and 2021, have finished.

So, didn’t the Chiefs double-down what you frown upon?

Cotton

Staff member

you said that, regardless of ability to negotiate or not, it’s stupid to negotiate a contract a year in advance.

Mahomes contract isn’t effective until two full seasons, 2020 and 2021, have finished.

My point is that you only have a small window to negotiate a contract with players. And, it would be silly in the Cowboys/Dak situation to negotiate a year in advance because the market will change between now and when that contract could actually be signed. The difference between that and the Chiefs situation is the Chiefs set the market. They don't have to worry about that market changing, because they hit the ceiling. They don't have to worry about that market changing, because they hit the ceiling.

data

Forbes #1
My point is that you only have a small window to negotiate a contract with players. And, it would be silly in the Cowboys/Dak situation to negotiate a year in advance because the market will change between now and when that contract could actually be signed. The difference between that and the Chiefs situation is the Chiefs set the market. They don't have to worry about that market changing, because they hit the ceiling. They don't have to worry about that market changing, because they hit the ceiling.
gotcha. But I disagree with your rationale that it’s stupid 100% of the time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Because Mahomes signed an extension. Which is just added on to the contract in place. Dak and the Cowboys can not even negotiate now. The window has closed. And will not open again until the end of the league year.

Top Bottom