Dak Watch Thread...

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The problem with that system is that you are paying someone premium pay before they prove they are worth the amounts. The NFL system is completely out of step with convention. Smart businesses elevate pay increases after a stint of proven ability before they adjust salaries. The NFL postulates that a player will automatically be worth what they will pay them without actual track records and even guarantee to the employee that an enormous amount of the unproven agreement will be paid even if they are a bust. It’s an insane system and the owners are insane for not having a better control on their business.
I agree with this. Somewhere along the line NFL teams got themselves caught up in this idiotic contract system where undeserving QBs are automatically paid top dollar just because "it's their turn" for a new contract. It's the reason why QBs like Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr are among the highest paid players in the league. Despite the fact that they've never come close to reaching a Super Bowl.

That said......what's the alternative? If a team decides to play hard ball and not cave into the system of automatically handing out a large contract to a QB, usually their only option is to start over with a rookie QB or pray that you can catch lightning in a bottle with a journeyman QB. Even if you go the franchise tag route like Redskins did with Kirk Cousins, you still end up paying the QB top 5 money.

data

Forbes #1
I agree with this. Somewhere along the line NFL teams got themselves caught up in this idiotic contract system where undeserving QBs are automatically paid top dollar just because "it's their turn" for a new contract. It's the reason why QBs like Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr are among the highest paid players in the league. Despite the fact that they've never come close to reaching a Super Bowl.

That said......what's the alternative? If a team decides to play hard ball and not cave into the system of automatically handing out a large contract to a QB, usually their only option is to start over with a rookie QB or pray that you can catch lightning in a bottle with a journeyman QB. Even if you go the franchise tag route like Redskins did with Kirk Cousins, you still end up paying the QB top 5 money.
Make the same argument with ticket prices. Nary a NFCC appearance in 25 years? Why are Cowboys tickets among the highest priced out there?

Ultimately it’s because fans are idiots buying the tix and it’s idiot owners that keep signing the guaranteed contracts.

However, to an extent, owners don’t give a shit because it’s all capped. Giving money to Dak doesn’t take money out of Jerruh’s pockets, but the other players’ pockets.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Like Amari’s and Byrons.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm not so sure he is a top 15 QB anymore even. Lots of hype for a pretty bad season.
Reputation only. Although, if there was ever a dude you could plug into a unit like ours, and have immediate success, he’s it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reputation only. Although, if there was ever a dude you could plug into a unit like ours, and have immediate success, he’s it.
I mean certainly the surrounding cast in Dallas is better than what the Patriots had last year. But Brady also had one of the worst completion percentages in the NFL last year and a QBR around 18th best. Not good signs for a guy on the decline of his career. It's why the Patriots aren't going all out to keep the guy. Hell of they wanted him that badly they could franchise him. Sort of telling.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I mean certainly the surrounding cast in Dallas is better than what the Patriots had last year. But Brady also had one of the worst completion percentages in the NFL last year and a QBR around 18th best. Not good signs for a guy on the decline of his career. It's why the Patriots aren't going all out to keep the guy. Hell of they wanted him that badly they could franchise him. Sort of telling.
Brady has been pretty open about wanting to be a free agent. I highly doubt Kraft would go for franchising him, after everything and how close they seem to be.

Personally, from a physical standpoint, I really didn’t see that much of a drop off. I’m of the camp that it was that dearth of talent on offense that killed that team, and his season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well, isn’t immediate success exactly what we want?

He’s a far more accurate passer and way more dangerous. He had a shitty supporting cast last year, so don’t even go there regarding his 2019 performance.

We know the shitshow Dak would be without Cooper, Zeke, Tyron, and Gallup.

No one is more effective with the game on the line than Tom Brady.

With him at QB the whole intermediate passing tree opens up, especially those crossing patterns Dak sucks at hitting.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

He’s a far more accurate passer and way more dangerous. He had a shitty supporting cast last year, so don’t even go there regarding his 2019 performance.

With him at QB the whole intermediate passing tree opens up, especially those crossing patterns Dak sucks at hitting.
I really don’t think having Tom Brady for a couple of years is a solution to anything for Dallas. If they opted for him over Prescott for two years it would just push everything forward a couple of years but the immediate need of finding a long term QB would still be in front of you instead of having resolved the long term process. I have no problems keeping Prescott I just don’t think he is at the tier to be paid what he is indicating he wants.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I'm about to go there old fella. He had one of the worst years in his career last year. And you can't ignore that a dude in his forties is showing serious decline and blame it on the surrounding pieces. It's a two way street. Brady wasn't doing any favors helping that surrounding cast either.

It's funny because you rip Dak apart for needing a surrounding cast but then blame the surrounding cast for Brady's ineptitude. Dak needs wide open guys according to you. But clearly Brady does too. Brady barely completed 60 percent of his passes. His QB rating was in the 80s. It's funny because Dak does that and in your opinion he is utter shit. Brady does it and he just needs a better surrounding cast.

Brady's career has been special. But fans always seem to be ignorant to the decline of players with age. They always want to blame the guys around them as the problem. Dez isn't declining it's Dak. Brady isn't declining it's his recievers. Nope they are just declining. Father time is undefeated.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Well I'm about to go there old fella. He had one of the worst years in his career last year. And you can't ignore that a dude in his forties is showing serious decline and blame it on the surrounding pieces. It's a two way street. Brady wasn't doing any favors helping that surrounding cast either.

It's funny because you rip Dak apart for needing a surrounding cast but then blame the surrounding cast for Brady's ineptitude. Dak needs wide open guys according to you. But clearly Brady does too. Brady barely completed 60 percent of his passes. His QB rating was in the 80s. It's funny because Dak does that and in your opinion he is utter shit. Brady does it and he just needs a better surrounding cast.

Brady's career has been special. But fans always seem to be ignorant to the decline of players with age. They always want to blame the guys around them as the problem. Dez isn't declining it's Dak. Brady isn't declining it's his recievers. Nope they are just declining. Father time is undefeated.
I thought the same thing, that many people that cover the NFL, including former quarterbacks said Brady did not look to have declined physically.

But I'll ask you since you seem to continue to disregard it, who was Brady throwing to last year?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life

I'll tell you what, if there was any way that I could sign Tom Brady and make that hypothetical deal with the Dolphins for Dak? Yeah, you do that in a nanosecond. The GOAT quarterback for two years for less than you'd be paying Prescott and 3 1st round picks to add to your team and get your QB of the future.

A dream, but a no-brainer if there were any possible way you could pull it off.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't get the Tua thing. I don't see him as being a franchise QB. The injuries are one thing. He also pretty much had an NFL team around him in support.

Unless he goes to a contender and a solid franchise, he is going to be challenged.
My only concern is the injuries, aside from that he's pretty awesome. The surrounding cast was great but his accuracy and quick release are undeniable, which is especially impressive considering how many deep shots he took, and his arm strength is good enough given the release/accuracy.

I don't love his ability to make plays off schedule outside of the pocket but he's very effective buying time inside the pocket with subtle footwork.

The injuries are a significant concern though, especially given his smallish build. It's not even the hip so much but the fact that he's seemingly constantly nicked up here and there, including getting knocked out of the SEC championship his sophomore year and being hobbled against Clemson in the championship. That's pretty much the only concern I'd have with a move like trading Dak and moving up for Tua because on the field his talent is clear.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I really don’t think having Tom Brady for a couple of years is a solution to anything for Dallas. If they opted for him over Prescott for two years it would just push everything forward a couple of years but the immediate need of finding a long term QB would still be in front of you instead of having resolved the long term process. I have no problems keeping Prescott I just don’t think he is at the tier to be paid what he is indicating he wants.
its definitely not a solution. Its a quick strike at a SB right now, with a guy that knows what it takes to get there and still has probably as much pure skill as Dak, and a loaded offense. Its kind of a no brainer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought the same thing, that many people that cover the NFL, including former quarterbacks said Brady did not look to have declined physically.

But I'll ask you since you seem to continue to disregard it, who was Brady throwing to last year?
Because people who cover the NFL have similar loyalties to star players. No one who is buddies with these guys wants to call them out for being in the decline. But some who cover the NFL have pointed out the decline too.

Brady has never had a star studded cast. He has always done well with guys like Julian Edelman. Who went for 1100 yards this year. He had Harry who was a high draft pick. Phillip Dorsett. Mahamad Sanu. Antonio Brown for a game. Josh Gordon for awhile too.

Is it a good supporting cast in my opinion, no. But I've never thought he had a great supporting cast outside of Gronk and Moss for a year. But he has never looked this bad.

Top Bottom