Cowboys vs Vikings | Week 9 Gameday Chatter Thread | 11/3/13

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Gruden is above average which would immediately make him the 2nd/3rd best coach we've had since Landry.
He'd be a clear third after Jimmy and Parcells. I would doubt we get very far with him here, he's not enough of a personnel guy or a real leader who can coach up garbage. He's more of an X's and O's guy. He'd probably be an upgrade in that area on offense but I don't think rolling back the clock to the 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers on both sides of the ball is going to get us very far. Especially when the talent gap is so deep on defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He'd be a clear third after Jimmy and Parcells. I would doubt we get very far with him here, he's not enough of a personnel guy or a real leader who can coach up garbage. He's more of an X's and O's guy. He'd probably be an upgrade in that area on offense but I don't think rolling back the clock to the 2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers on both sides of the ball is going to get us very far. Especially when the talent gap is so deep on defense.
Fair enough if you don't want Gruden, but I can't help but point out he's the exact type of coach you keep saying you want - a guy with skins on the wall who commands respect both above and below him.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Garrett isn't going to get us very far. I'd say Gruden would get us further.

jaf1224

Not So New Member
I agree. I'd say warmed over sh*t could get us as far as Garrett has. When this team wins, it has VERY LITTLE, if anything, to do with anything that clown does.

D

Deuce

Clear 3rd? Ya, I agree. But I think he could still coach up this team a lot better. He got a noodle arm like Brad Johnson to run his offense to a Super Bowl. He got a journeyman schlub like Gannon and coached him up to an All Pro. I think he's the perfect guy to set Romo straight and get the most out of him in his remaining days. Plus hopefully develop the heir apparent.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He'd be a clear third after Jimmy and Parcells.
Parcells did well here, but not nearly to the level you fellate him to. And that was as a team builder. As a gameday coach, he was average at best.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Parcells did well here, but not nearly to the level you fellate him to. And that was as a team builder. As a gameday coach, he was average at best.
His talent acquisition was unquestionably the best part of what he did here.

Though he did get a Quincy Carter team to the playoffs.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
His talent acquisition was unquestionably the best part of what he did here.

Though he did get a Quincy Carter team to the playoffs.
That he did, and should get credit. Tho' I'd say an all-time easy schedule that year was nice, too.

But nobody will ever convince me of his gameday abilities when he coached like a scared bitch against the all-world Pete Hunter in the playoffs. Pathetic that game was even close, much less a loss.

There are more examples, but that one is the most glaring because it was the playoffs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Possibly.

I'm saying if you were to remove Garrett from the equation entirely.... say he died tomorrow from being hit by a bus..... and we had to find a new head coach.... Gruden would feel like a lukewarm hire to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That he did, and should get credit. Tho' I'd say an all-time easy schedule that year was nice, too.

But nobody will ever convince me of his gameday abilities when he coached like a scared bitch against the all-world Pete Hunter in the playoffs. Pathetic that game was even close, much less a loss.

There are more examples, but that one is the most glaring because it was the playoffs.
And yet Parcells is still a clear 2nd behind Jimmy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And yet Parcells is still a clear 2nd behind Jimmy.
A clear second?

Please. :lol

Wipe your chin. Parcells' time in Dallas doesn't even deserve to be mentioned with Landry's, much less even entertaining the thought of it being better.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Did Smitty really just say that Parcells is the 2nd best coach in our history?
I went back up in the thread and did see where VA did say since Landry. So for that, I apologize to Schmitty.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if that was his true ranking. :art

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I went back up in the thread and did see where VA did say since Landry. So for that, I apologize to Schmitty.
Correct, that is what I was saying.

Though I think there may be an argument about Landry out there but I'm not currently saying that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Correct, that is what I was saying.

Though I think there may be an argument about Landry out there but I'm not currently saying that.
You know you want to.....

Top Bottom