Cowboys Sign Two Safeties...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Agreed. Not sure why the loss of Jameill Showers is getting people upset, either. It's not like he was making the team. If anything, it saved us from wasting a PS spot on him again.
It's worrisome because the the depth was terrible to begin with. And, the safeties we have on roster have all had histories of injury. It's a legit concern.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Not sure why the loss of Jameill Showers is getting people upset, either. It's not like he was making the team. If anything, it saved us from wasting a PS spot on him again.
I dont care about Showers, I just care about Woods.

we dont know if this is a one time thing for him, and there's nothing strong behind him:

Marqueston Huff, Tyree Robinson, Kameron Kelly......makes me slightly nervous.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys still aren't ready to add Earl Thomas. Here's what their plan at safety is.

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon George on Twitter: @DMN_George

FRISCO - The Cowboys are finally actively pursuing help at safety now that starter Xavier Woods is injured. And they could sign one Tuesday who spent five seasons playing in Seattle for new defensive backs coach Kris Richard.

No, not that one. Don't get your hopes up.

The Cowboys still aren't ready to add Seattle Pro Bowler Earl Thomas.

Instead, a source said they plan to work out veteran safety Jeron Johnson on Tuesday. Johnson went undrafted in 2011 out of Boise State and has started only three games in his career.

The Cowboys also signed undrafted rookie safety Dominick Sanders out of Georgia on Monday.

Sanders probably won't have you forgetting Thomas either.

Although the Cowboys had several opportunities to add depth at safety throughout the offseason they chose to stand pat.

They had multiple conversations with Seattle about possibly trading for Thomas -- even during the draft -- but the Seahawks weren't willing to let him go for cheap.

The Cowboys haven't actively pursued Thomas during training camp. Instead, they've been in wait-and-see mode as Thomas holds out in an effort to force a contract extension or trade.

But if Seattle is still interested in talking trade, the Seahawks added a little leverage when Woods was injured Saturday in a preseason game against Cincinnati.

Woods is expected to be out two to four weeks with a pulled hamstring. The Cowboys are holding out hope he can get back for the season opener Sept. 9 at Carolina, although that's a long shot at this point. The Cowboys also lost reserve safety Jameill Showers for the season Saturday with a torn ACL.

In the meantime, the Cowboys aren't panicking. Richard said Monday he's been pleased with starting cornerbacks Byron Jones and Chidobe Awuzie and the Cowboys have no plans to move either to safety. Jones started the last two years at safety before moving back to cornerback in the offseason.

The Cowboys returned home for their first practice at The Star on Monday and had Kavon Frazier filling in for Woods at first-team safety alongside Jeff Heath.

Frazier, like Woods, came on late last season and showed the coaches he deserved more playing time.

~~~~~~~~~~

Richards fingerprints on this one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I’m just saying the Cowboys clearly closed the book on Eric Reid, and therefore probably Iloka too, some time ago. And they clearly didn’t like Vaccaro and Boston.

I would have brought one in, but the off rehashed complaint that the front office is “lazy,” is, well, lazy. You think it was harder for them to go for the obvious move in Iloka than it was to dig a little and find a couple more options no one has heard of? It may be bad evaluation but it’s not “lazy.”

That being said I think they know they are thin at safety: it’s why they want Earl Thomas. But maybe there’s a reason Iloka got cut or a guy like Boston//Vaccaro were spurned all offseason that makes Dallas not want them besides “laziness.”

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I’m just saying the Cowboys clearly closed the book on Eric Reid, and therefore probably Iloka too, some time ago. And they clearly didn’t like Vaccaro and Boston.

I would have brought one in, but the off rehashed complaint that the front office is “lazy,” is, well, lazy. You think it was harder for them to go for the obvious move in Iloka than it was to dig a little and find a couple more options no one has heard of? It may be bad evaluation but it’s not “lazy.”

That being said I think they know they are thin at safety: it’s why they want Earl Thomas. But maybe there’s a reason Iloka got cut or a guy like Boston//Vaccaro were spurned all offseason that makes Dallas not want them besides “laziness.”
Oh, fuck you. Don’t pull the veiled “if he’s so good, why is he available?” bullshit.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Oh, fuck you. Don’t pulled the veiled “if he’s so good, why is he available?” bullshit.
Please. I just came off saying maybe we should sign Paxton Lynch if he gets cut. Don’t fucking lecture me.

But Vaccaro and Boston weren’t just vets that were allowed to enter free agency. They languished around ALL offseason before getting signed very late in the process to minimal deals. It’s not about “why were they available?” .... it’s about every other front office being just as lazy for letting these gems slip through their fingers, then, so the “laziest front office” label doesn’t apply.

It’s simply highly unlikely that Vaccaro or Boston were even going to be good enough to start here.

This is the kind of Joe Fan second guessing that we should be smart enough to be above, a little bit. The team went out and did their homework and unearthed diamond in the rough signings in LB Joe Thomas, found nice bargains in Cam Fleming and Allen Hurns.... but they are too lazy to address a position that they obviously realize they want an upgrade at (given their pursuit of Earl Thomas)? Gimme a break.

Let’s leave the lazy labels at the door and just say we disagree with their evals and think that Boston or Vaccaro or Iloka are worthwhile depth players that are worth having over, say, Tyree Robinson. The team feels differently.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's worrisome because the the depth was terrible to begin with. And, the safeties we have on roster have all had histories of injury. It's a legit concern.
Showers is a bum. His loss is no loss at all. I know absolutely nothing about the guy we just signed, but I’m confident he’ll provide everything Showers would if not more.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Fuck you, Jerry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Fuck you, Jerry.
Love the player too. I'm just really concerned that we are rolling into the season with basically 2 safeties who are only sort of healthy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Love the player too. I'm just really concerned that we are rolling into the season with basically 2 safeties who are only sort of healthy.
It's just one game if it takes the full amount of weeks to heal. They like the guy so might as well cross any veteran off the wish list. You know you will get rejects or players cut at cutdown day. No use trying to tear down the wall with your head.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's just one game if it takes the full amount of weeks to heal. They like the guy so might as well cross any veteran off the wish list. You know you will get rejects or players cut at cutdown day. No use trying to tear down the wall with your head.
Hammy's can be tricky though. Sometimes they can take a little longer then 4 weeks and supposedly his is pretty severe. The fact that they already already are assuming he misses game one worries me. Usually that means he is questionable at best for game two. And on top of that our depth sort of sucked to start out with. It's not like Frazier and Heath are some really good veterans that you know can hold down the position. And then on top of that the fourth guy is either a scrub or someone we pluck at final cuts.

I'm good with Woods and Heath as the starters but we could really use good depth if those are the guys you're counting on.

Sort of like WR where we don't have any studs starting but we have some really good depth to at least count on someone stepping up. We don't have that at safety.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wasnt aware that Heath had health concerns?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Hammy's can be tricky though. Sometimes they can take a little longer then 4 weeks and supposedly his is pretty severe. The fact that they already already are assuming he misses game one worries me. Usually that means he is questionable at best for game two. And on top of that our depth sort of sucked to start out with. It's not like Frazier and Heath are some really good veterans that you know can hold down the position. And then on top of that the fourth guy is either a scrub or someone we pluck at final cuts.

I'm good with Woods and Heath as the starters but we could really use good depth if those are the guys you're counting on.

Sort of like WR where we don't have any studs starting but we have some really good depth to at least count on someone stepping up. We don't have that at safety.
Thats all good but in the last 20 years when have the Cowboys been proactive? You will get a Domonik Sanders and if it gets worse somebody on final cuts that is cheap.

Look on the bright side, though. They like Woods so it's his starting job regardless for a few years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats all good but in the last 20 years when have the Cowboys been proactive? You will get a Domonik Sanders and if it gets worse somebody on final cuts that is cheap.

Look on the bright side, though. They like Woods so it's his starting job regardless for a few years.
Yeah it seems like we don't ever do anything until it's panic time. So when Frazier or Heath gets hurt in game one we will be in full panic mode putting Byron back at safety is my big fear.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Wasn't there an article that they really like Tyree Robinson?

Probably not that worried.

Top Bottom