Cowboys sign Prescott to a 4 year contract

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The year they won the super bowl he had Jermaine Kearse and Doug Baldwin.
They also had a pretty good line, and a damn good RB.

And a defense that imposed its will on people.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
According to Slater Prescott wants to be paid "right behind Mahomes", which is fine if he takes like a 7+ year deal, but it's ridiculous if he wants that on a 4 year deal.

I mean, I'd rather give Prescott 8 years/43 million APY than 4 years/39 million APY, he just has to be willing to play ball.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And a defense that imposed its will on people.
There’s the supporting cast that counts most.

Wilson was an average passer right up until the last quarter of the 2014 NFC Championship game.

Then it all started coming together. Took him three full years of that defense and beast mode’s help.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Slater Prescott wants to be paid "right behind Mahomes", which is fine if he takes like a 7+ year deal, but it's ridiculous if he wants that on a 4 year deal.

I mean, I'd rather give Prescott 8 years/43 million APY than 4 years/39 million APY, he just has to be willing to play ball.
Well the second biggest would be Watson at 39 mil right? So Dak wants more than that but less than Mahomes 45?

I'm with you, he better be willing to do a long deal than. Because Mahomes isn't counting anywhere close to 45 mil against the cap any time soon.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well the second biggest would be Watson at 39 mil right? So Dak wants more than that but less than Mahomes 45?

I'm with you, he better be willing to do a long deal than. Because Mahomes isn't counting anywhere close to 45 mil against the cap any time soon.
Yea if they aren't budging off 41-43ish over 4 years then it's time to trade him. He can have his 4 years at 39/year or his 43/year over 7 years, but not both.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Just short of Mahomes is unreasonable and honestly Dak has been pretty unreasonable throughout. That's what's been lost in all the Just pay him!!! chatter.

That said, he has little incentive to not ask for the moon because the end game is either complete free agency or a 51 million dollar franchise tag.

It's still pretty douchey though. It's a win - win for Dak but he's screwing the team (and fans) that he should inherently want to succeed. And losing a lot of goodwill in the process.

On the other hand, if the team didn't stupidly dig in on 4 versus 5 years they'd probably already have him signed at Wilson or Watson money. They've mismanaged this like a shady cousin.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just short of Mahomes is unreasonable and honestly Dak has been pretty unreasonable throughout. That's what's been lost in all the Just pay him!!! chatter.

That said, he has little incentive to not ask for the moon because the end game is either complete free agency or a 51 million dollar franchise tag.

It's still pretty douchey though. It's a win - win for Dak but he's screwing the team (and fans) that he should inherently want to succeed. And losing a lot of goodwill in the process.

On the other hand, if the team didn't stupidly dig in on 4 versus 5 years they'd probably already have him signed at Wilson or Watson money. They've mismanaged this like a shady cousin.
Yeah, there is definitely fault on both sides. Just get the shit done. If it truly is just about a year difference in contract length, this should have been done as soon as the league opened.

Genghis Khan

And yes, if he wants close to Mahomes money, he needs to give in on the years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Could have had him at 33 for 4 years probably but that was 2 years ago. We jacked around and Dak bet on himself.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

That goes for just about any QB getting a new deal. Their deals are leaving the rise of the cap in the dust. Just hampers them in the long run but what else are teams going to do? Draft a new QB every 4 years?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That goes for just about any QB getting a new deal. Their deals are leaving the rise of the cap in the dust. Just hampers them in the long run but what else are teams going to do? Draft a new QB every 4 years?
Yep. I like what Simp is saying, but the problem is I think Dak is wanting the huge money and the shorter deal.

So what do you do then, actually trade him? Sounds good, but that would take huge balls and I don't think Jerry has that in him.

And Dak's people know Jerry will cave -- they saw what happened when Zeke went to Cabo.

It's too bad Dak got hurt last year -- besides the obvious that it's too bad anyone gets hurt -- so we could see him with a crap supporting cast, which he hasn't had to deal with before. Now he sort of gets a pass.

Genghis Khan

While that's true, I do think a QB has a responsibility to be reasonable because as important as good QBs are you can make a pretty strong argument for pretty high salaries in a vacuum.

But from the team's perspective there's unquestionably a line in the sand where you can't pay a single player above without compromising your ability to field a competitive team.

We know you can't pay a QB 100% of the cap or anywhere close to it and field a team.

So where is the line?

Is it 15%? 20%?

According to spotrac there are 2 players currently slated to count as much as 20% in 2021.

Here are the top 5 cap percentages for 2021 currently.

Matt Ryan$40,912,50021.90%
Ben Roethlisberger$41,250,00021.72%
Aaron Rodgers$37,572,00019.91%
Russell Wilson$32,000,00017.21%
Kirk Cousins$31,000,00016.36%

I wonder if the top couple guys get restructured.

Cotton

Staff member
While that's true, I do think a QB has a responsibility to be reasonable because as important as good QBs are you can make a pretty strong argument for pretty high salaries in a vacuum.

But from the team's perspective there's unquestionably a line in the sand where you can't pay a single player above without compromising your ability to field a competitive team.

We know you can't pay a QB 100% of the cap or anywhere close to it and field a team.

So where is the line?

Is it 15%? 20%?

According to spotrac there are 2 players currently slated to count as much as 20% in 2021.

Here are the top 5 cap percentages for 2021 currently.

Matt Ryan$40,912,50021.90%
Ben Roethlisberger$41,250,00021.72%
Aaron Rodgers$37,572,00019.91%
Russell Wilson$32,000,00017.21%
Kirk Cousins$31,000,00016.36%

I wonder if the top couple guys get restructured.
This is a shitty year to sign a huge contract with the cap shortage. And, what sucks is, had they signed him last year, they wouldn't have this issue right now.

Cotton

Staff member
Slater's quote:

“The goal here is still to get him signed to a long-term deal, and why would they continue using these costly tags on him if they didn’t feel he was their franchise guy? By the way, last year’s money was in the ballpark of Russell Wilson/Jared Goff-type money,” Slater said on The Dan Patrick Show. “Now he’s looking to be paid right behind Patrick Mahomes, a guy who’s gone to the Super Bowl two years in a row and Dak hasn’t done that yet. They feel like it’s been a respectable offer.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
2021 will be another relatively tough year financially for the league (if any highly profitable endeavor during covid times could be called 'tough') and 2022 might be the first fully recovered year.

Those two years represents half the contract length Dak was last going for. By 2023 the cap will be ginormous again and 45 million dollars for a QB might become the norm.

But we aren't there yet. Thanks Dak! Thanks Dak's agents! Thanks Goober owners!

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a shitty year to sign a huge contract with the cap shortage. And, what sucks is, had they signed him last year, they wouldn't have this issue right now.
Sort of, except signing him probably lowers his cap hit next year from 37 mil to something in the 20s. So there is extra motivation to get that long term deal done.

I'm betting this thing ends around 40 mil for 5 years. But we will see. Dallas needs to look at this thing as getting a low cap figure for the next 2 years and then if his cap numbers go up after that you can assume the salary cap will go up significantly too at that point.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yeah, there is definitely fault on both sides. Just get the shit done. If it truly is just about a year difference in contract length, this should have been done as soon as the league opened.
That’s why I don’t think it’s just about that one year. I’m sure it’s a significant factor given the way the rubes in charge “manage” the cap, but there had to have been other underlying factors.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s why I don’t think it’s just about that one year. I’m sure it’s a significant factor given the way the rubes in charge “manage” the cap, but there had to have been other underlying factors.
Well it's one year and money. I mean that one year is going to be under a cap significantly higher than todays cap. So when you're talking an average of 35 mil over 4 year or an average of 35 mil over 5 years it's not really the same money. That fifth year QB's are going to regularly be making money in the 40 mil range so by adding that extra year the average naturally would need to go up. Which is where the real battle is if you ask me.

Of course to me it's a bit silly to worry about something 5 years down the road in the NFL. So much will happen and change by then. Hell maybe by year 5 you don't even want Dak as your QB anymore. Plus these things tend to get reworked, extended and all kinds of shit before the end of the contract to free up cap space for the team. So this contract won't even resemble itself in 5 years anyway. To me this whole thing has been about the Jones family thinking Dak will just cave. It's there strategy with all contracts. Wait until the last second and assume the player will panic and cave to get something done. In Dak's case you're looking at a 100+ mil signing bonus. So that's more attractive than the 37 mil guaranteed for one year. But clearly Dak is a little smarter than that and looks at this from a long term perspective and isn't as concerned with the immediate gratification some players get sucked into. Jerry and the Cowboys need to rethink their strategy because right now it has cost them money and leverage and isn't working.

Top Bottom